• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ew! It's a girl.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
Huh.. I never really cared about the gender. Really the only time in my life where I cared about the gender of a Pokémon was, when I got a male Luvdisc in Sapphire because that was somewhat special since Luvdisc has a 75% change of being female.

I really don't care if my Pokémon is male or female. Of course it's weird to find a male Lopunny or a female Machoke but who gives.. If anything it's even better because it's funny.

-- Matt

NRG

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 9, 2015
I don't pay attention to gender unless I am breeding.

female if I want something of that species, male if I'm using it to breed anything from it's egg group.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
If I'm just catching a Pokemon to fill the dex and I know I won't really use them, then I don't take their gender into account.

However, if I'm looking for a specific Pokemon to be part of my team and they're more aesthetically male or female to me (if that makes sense) then I will spend as long as it takes to find one of the "right" gender.

Like when I wanted a Salamence, I had to find a male Bagon, and when I wanted a Sylveon I spent ages looking for a female Eevee. Which took me a loong time since Eevees are 87.5% male, but I just wasn't having a male Sylveon. :P

I'm not necrobumping, am I? Hasn't quite been a month yet.

Years
Yeah I got a female Chespin twice and reset until I got a male, personally I just associate my starter with being a male pokemon unless it looks girly; aside from that I don't really care.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Mar 26, 2014
I far prefer having female pokémon myself, but I don't think it's for any other reason that they're usually rarer than males. The only exception to the rule is for Alakazam... if I had a female Alakazam I DEFINITELY would have made it wax it's upper lip, so the sprite is just all wrong for me. :D

I'm also a big fan of kewt things, so a male Sylveon with those big blue eyes & ribbons just feels wrong. I know that's just gender-role-stereotyping at it's worst... but I want my kewt stuff kewt!

Years
Same as Nerakil above, I never give a second thought on the gender of the Pokemon unless if I'm going to have it on my team or use it for some other specific purpose. Then I always try to catch what I feel is the "appropriate" gender for its design.

As a side note, I always try to have a gender equal team, three of them male, the rest female. I've always played like that for as long as I remember. Don't know why that is. ^^

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Most of the time I don't care about the genders of my Pokemon. There are a few exceptions though, like Gardevoir, certain Eeveelutions, and stuff.

Yukari

Gender doesn't really matter to me unless it looks gender specific, then it must be for me to catch it, or if I have a nickname planned, then I must match the correct gender. Otherwise, idc.

Same here I don't care about my Pokemon's gender.

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
Years
I prefer to have certain pokemon as certain genders, then I bond with them better. Though all of my shinies bar one have been female so far so that's a little frustrating.

Outlier

If I'm just catching a Pokemon to fill the dex and I know I won't really use them, then I don't take their gender into account.

However, if I'm looking for a specific Pokemon to be part of my team and they're more aesthetically male or female to me (if that makes sense) then I will spend as long as it takes to find one of the "right" gender.

Like when I wanted a Salamence, I had to find a male Bagon, and when I wanted a Sylveon I spent ages looking for a female Eevee. Which took me a loong time since Eevees are 87.5% male, but I just wasn't having a male Sylveon. :P

I'm not necrobumping, am I? Hasn't quite been a month yet.

I'm in the same boat as her. I use to be so OCD about genders that I ONLY caught males, but now it depends on what I think the pokemon looks like more.

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 5, 2014
If anything, I prefer to have a ballance of male and female pokemon on my team. I tend to try to go for an equal opportunity approach XD. When it comes to competitive battling though, I tend to just take what I can get. After breeding for natures, ivs and egg moves, I tend to not want to keep going for the sole purpose of getting one specific gender over another.

Years
I'm a lot like Nerakil. I don't really care if I'm not going to use the Pokemon for anything other than my Pokedex. If it's on my team I usually prefer the gender that seems suitable for the Pokemon. For example, I was chain fishing to get a shiny Poliwag to turn into a Poliwrath. I caught a shiny Poliwag after about half an hour, but it was female and Poliwrath looks male to me. Soooooo, I started chain fishing again. I got another shiny female Poliwag so I just said screw it though. I was fine with it mostly because it had a good IV spread.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
Unless the Pokemon is female-only, I generally only train males. This can make breeding a bit annoying. I don't mind really feminine looking male Pokemon like some people here do though. Male Sylveon or Gardevoir is fine by me.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 10, 2022
I am a Pokesexist... I only use female Pokemon... I don't like male Pokemon at all, I use less than 10 male Pokemon, the rest are female.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 11, 2023
I usually don't really care about the genders of my pokemon but if there is one pokemon that i actually bother looking for a female version is Sneasel and Weavile.Look at them!They both look very feminine to me and sometimes i wonder why theyre not 100% female or at least 87.5% female.I dont mind a male gardevoir as much as a male weavile.I dont know why but male Weavile always bothers me..

Last edited:

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
Years
I don't mind genders, unless its something I specifically want, or it's a bit odd to have a female of, like Machop. I usually seem to get female pokemon anyway.

Back