• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Do you use an Emulator or Flashcard to play Rom hacks?

~Momo~

Snorlaxin'
Years
Just curious if anyone else play ROM hacks on their console with a flashcard instead of using an emulator on a computer? If you have both, which do you prefer?

I definitely prefer my flashcard and playing on my 3ds. Not sure if anyone using flashcard notice this but the games runs way smoother. I haven't touched my Desmume since I found out my flashcard can run hacks like the legit games. On an emulator the game always have graphical errors or worse, it freezes/crashes (especially during added events not in the original game) before I could save. With my flashcard I have not encountered any graphical error and the game hasn't crash or froze on me. It also takes half a second to save instead of 15 and the game appears more in proportions, not all pixelated. Its also just more nostalgic for me to use the 3DS and I can get up and move around.{:3}

The downside is you can't speed up at all and you can't run exp codes and other nifty things emulators can do. You have to play the hack like a legit game, grind your way through it slowly. I know some people can't live without speed up but so they probably prefer the emulator. ;)

If you have a flashcard and didn't know you can run hack roms on it, its definitely worth trying out! I am saving up for a gba so I can play glazed, snakewood, etc on my 3ds.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2023
Personally I also prefer my flashcard to using an emulator. The flashcard I use is the SuperCard DSTWO and is runs everything from SNES games all the way to DS games and includes built in cheat support and with TempGBA the gameboy emulator I use on it I even have the option of using speed up. So all in all in my opinion using a good flashcard beats out an emulator on a PC any day.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I use an emulator. I've gotten so used to fast forward, to the point that playing without it is so.. ugh.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
I personally prefer using my EZFlash IV because nothing beats actual hardware.

Personally I also prefer my flashcard to using an emulator. The flashcard I use is the SuperCard DSTWO and is runs everything from SNES games all the way to DS games and includes built in cheat support and with TempGBA the gameboy emulator I use on it I even have the option of using speed up. So all in all in my opinion using a good flashcard beats out an emulator on a PC any day.

I don't mean to disappoint but even though you are playing on a flash cart the SuperCard DSTWO uses an emulator based off a PSP one.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
I would use my flashcards if I hadnt messed up my research and gotten the r4 series and ez flash vi instead of the supercard. So Im using reg emulators:)

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I've always used emulators; thing is, I can never grab a hold of a flashcard. So, there's only one option.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I'm a nut; I emulate on a tablet and love it. The touchscreen isn't that bad at all for most RPGs, and they've just about caught up to PC emulators now.

I really should get an EZFlash IV sometime though.

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2015
I have an EZ Flash IV and an R4i Gold but I don't use them any longer for Pokémon hacks.

Most of the time I emulate the games but not on my PC. I play them on my Android handheld. Because I do not play with my handheld on the go (I only use it at home or for longer train rides, holiday visits...), I synced the save files with my smartphone with the help of dropbox. If I wanted to play a little bit further when I have a few minutes sparetime I can play with my smartphone which also automatically syncs the save file with my handheld.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 17, 2014
I use a flashcart I got for LSDj. Of course it only works for gens 1 and 2, but that's fine. I had an EZ Flash 5 and an R4 cart for my DS, but I lost the system a while ago. Recently I've just been emulating on my iPad.

Byte me

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Emulator ftw but at times i wish i had a flashcart. Would be nice to play without having to carry around a labtop T_T

Back