• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: FireRed Pokédex Hacking

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
Completely understandable. There are at least a couple sprites in the pack that might be a little wonky. I know I had problems inserting Infernape for some reason, but I think I have that worked out. Also, the formatted Arcues sprite somehow got two pixels shaved off the shiny back sprite. Using the ones in the folder pack should work fine though. If you find any problems with the pack, would you mind letting me know?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Small tip: When inserting movesets with Pokemon Game Editor, you can type in the letter of the move and it will scroll through all the moves that begin with that letter. That way you don't have to painstakingly look for the move by scrolling through the entire list of moves looking for one move. It makes the moveset adding process much, much faster, and I'm assuming that's why most Pokemon don't have a moveset in your patch because it was probably really annoying looking for every single move.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Small tip: When inserting movesets with Pokemon Game Editor, you can type in the letter of the move and it will scroll through all the moves that begin with that letter. That way you don't have to painstakingly look for the move by scrolling through the entire list of moves looking for one move. It makes the moveset adding process much, much faster, and I'm assuming that's why most Pokemon don't have a moveset in your patch because it was probably really annoying looking for every single move.
No need for worry for Jambo there Chaos. I'm taking care of that for him but that helps me a lot to get it done faster.

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
Minor issue I noticed: It doesn't save on actual GBA hardware. I tested it with my EZFlash3in1 on my DS. Well, it does save kinda, but if you turn it off and load it up, you get, "The save file is corrupt. The previous save file will be loaded." And then it will kinda load, but it was all glitchy, since I saved in Viridian Forest but it loaded in Pallet Town for some reason.

If you soft reset, then you get, "The save file is deleted...". I'm assuming this all has to do with the save block hack.
It probably does, but I genuinely couldn't comment on it, as I didn't develop it. I never said that the code would work on GBA, but it's nice to know it doesn't. JPAN would know more than me though.

I'm sorry about that. I didn't test in real hardware. But I got my old Supercard and tried it out.
After a couple of tries, I could find something wrong with the old save block hack.
So I made a new one that uses the game's system to save. No more hardware failure possible.
New hack in attatchment. Hope it will not be to troublesome to fix.
Spoiler:
Included are the compiled and source code. For the compiled, copy from 34 to e4 to somewhere on the ROM, then from e4 to 11c and paste on top of the Save size pointer (0x083FEC94).

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
Second, after expanding my search in the Fire red diassembly, I found that all bytes after 0x0203f178 are used up by some other processes in the game (also don't know which).

By chance were you using any sort of D/N or RTC? An old one that is around here somewhere used that block for temporary storage if I remember. I'm pretty sure prime-dialga's doesn't though.

MsAllyJacqui

I'm different.
Years
This is really, really impressive. I couldn't in a million years figure out how you managed to create this awesomeness. ^_^ Hopefully, this gets more attention soon because this could change how many people choose to hack third gen games.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I must be doing something wrong. I inserted the routines, and they work fine.
But on restarting the ROM, the game claims the save game has been corrupted.

I'm well aware that the save will have changed massively due to the change in code - but is this simply because of the new storage locations, or is it down to something else altogether?

EDIT: Looks like it was just because everything has been moved around. After restarting the game and saving the game - the save worked fine.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Current Patch Progress:

Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (77% Started inserting with a new set of sprites)
Back Sprites (77%)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Pokédex Entries (100%)
Movesets (8%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (0%)
Evolution Data (100%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (100%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (100%)
Pokédex Habitat Data (100%)
New Base Exp System (100%)
Black/White Experience System (90%)
Item Use Coordinates (0%)
Gen 4/5 Moves (100% Data, 0% effects for status attacks)
Gen 4/5 Move Animations (0%)
Formes (100% data and reading routines, 10% writing routines)
Extra TMs (100%)
Music Extension Hack (100%)
Item Extension Hack (100% - Gives you an extra 300 extra item slots, of which 45 are the new TMs, to play around with, as well as the free slots in the existing table for a total of 675 items)
Abilities (100% names, 41% assignments to species, 13% routines)

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Current Patch Progress:

Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (77% Started inserting with a new set of sprites)
Back Sprites (77%)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Pokédex Entries (100%)
Movesets (8%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (0%)
Evolution Data (100%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (100%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (100%)
Pokédex Habitat Data (100%)
New Base Exp System (100%)
Black/White Experience System (90%)
Item Use Coordinates (0%)
Gen 4/5 Moves (100% Data, 0% effects for status attacks)
Gen 4/5 Move Animations (0%)
Formes (100% data and reading routines, 10% writing routines)
Extra TMs (100%)
Music Extension Hack (100%)
Item Extension Hack (100% - Gives you an extra 300 extra item slots, of which 45 are the new TMs, to play around with, as well as the free slots in the existing table for a total of 675 items)
Abilities (100% names, 41% assignments to species, 13% routines)
Very, very excellent. Your work for the community of ROM hacks is really paying off.

I finished exams just recently so I have a bit more free time for the movesets and TM/HM compatibilities.

I can assign the abilities to each Pokemon if needed.

I can collect images or something for 5th Gen move animations if that helps bring that number past 0.

All and all you are doing great and keep up the good work Jambo.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I should've said, the few abilities I've got to work so far are the passive ones. What I mean by that is that the abilities affect one small thing somewhere in the background of the game's calculations, rather than having a message printed to screen or whatever when they're activated.

I got the following abilities working:
Spoiler:

The only bug thus far is that when Contrary is activated, the game still calls the normal animation and text, rather than the opposite animation, but the actual data itself is correctly written.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2023
Hello, I just tried changing the bytes as you told us to enable evolutions without national dex and it works well (I haven't actually changed the bytes myself, I did through the use of Misc Editor) except when I use stones. When I use those, it just says "huh?" like it normally does and the evolution wouldn't happen. Is it a malfunction of Misc Editor or something else?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Hello, I just tried changing the bytes as you told us to enable evolutions without national dex and it works well (I haven't actually changed the bytes myself, I did through the use of Misc Editor) except when I use stones. When I use those, it just says "huh?" like it normally does and the evolution wouldn't happen. Is it a malfunction of Misc Editor or something else?

This is because you don't have the National Dex. If you've ever played Fire Red with a golbat or chansey, they'll try to evolve along the way, but it'll end in "Huh?" The National Dex is set with a flag. It should be listed in XSE tough. :)

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2023
I know, I just changed the bytes at OxOCE91A to 00 00 14 E0 and the evolutions work now just fine even without the national dex, except in the case of evolution stones.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I know, I just changed the bytes at OxOCE91A to 00 00 14 E0 and the evolutions work now just fine even without the national dex, except in the case of evolution stones.

I think I overlooked the code which runs that check for the evo stones. I'll look into it shortly.

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
Just letting you know that I'm currently working on properly resizing all Pokemon sprites with the same ratio, all saved in files ready to be used with Wichu's sprite editor:
Spoiler:

Could you upload the backsprites you previewed earlier? Thnx man awesome work!

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2012
I like to report a bug in your hack Jambo after I talk to the howto catch pokemon old man when I go into a wild pokemon battle instead of seeing Red's backsprite I see the old man's backsprite and the select pokemon screen (where you switch the pokemon on your team around) it's a bit glitchy the same happens after you watch the pokedude and if you run knock out or catch the pokemon you'll go back to the main Teachy Tv screen

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
So, did you find anything?

I checked and checked and checked, and nothing seems to be amiss.

I like to report a bug in your hack Jambo after I talk to the howto catch pokemon old man when I go into a wild pokemon battle instead of seeing Red's backsprite I see the old man's backsprite and the select pokemon screen (where you switch the pokemon on your team around) it's a bit glitchy the same happens after you watch the pokedude and if you run knock out or catch the pokemon you'll go back to the main Teachy Tv screen

I can't replicate this. At one stage, there was a bug with the old man tutorial, but that was fixed some time ago. Try repatching and trying again.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
I created a regional dex of 253 Pokemon by increasing the limiters. But I am not sure how to make the Pokedex counter to detect the Pokemon from 152 to 253. These Pokemon show up as caught and seen, but are not counted towards the Pokedex total.

Back