• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2024
@Hackmew:
That's just how to human mind works, they see something great and want to be just like that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Quoting again. Would you mind checking if the clock in your room still work? And have you got any cheating devices, perhaps?
Also, about the fix... turned out Emerald has the fix as Nintendo claimed, apparently. Read above.

Just checked; the clock in my room still advances as normal.
I don't own a cheat cartridge, and have never used any cheats on the game.

However, there are a few things that may affect it. I've used it to trade with the three Gamecube games (Colosseum, XD: Gale of Darkness, and Box R/S). Also, I've performed the Pomeg and cloning glitches.

That's quite a number of possible causes... I think someone told me that it was due to trading with Colosseum, but I can't confirm this.

EDIT: That's odd; my daily events are working again. They definitely stopped working for a long period of time, though... Maybe it's to do with the fact that I haven't played Emerald in several months? I'm glad it's fixed, although I'm now more confused than before :P

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Pertaining to the team name cheapness topic...
I can see how Rom Reaverz would come off as a bit cheap,, but one example... Rom Kitty, Inc. is not really part of the bunch, that would be like me making a team called ROM Robot Super Mega Force XXI would be copying the ROM Raiders team's name. It's hard naming a team, when a million teams exists as it is, a bit of repetition isn't a bad thing.
And in that little circle of cheapness, I think of it more like this for ROM hacking...
*Using Scripting as an example*

Person A creates something useful.
Person B ends up making that same thing, only better.
Person C comes in after some time and makes the same thing as B and A, only it's perfected, everyone credits this person and nobody even knows who A and B are anymore (I miss the hackers of old, lol.)
Person D created something very similar as to D nearly at the same time, thus they both get credit, yet the sheer number of people that use Person C's creation end up hurting person D's success

As you can see, it's not really a matter of stealing as it is forgetting who it was who started everything up in the beginning.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Okay, new topic. What do you think about those two foxy blasts, Zorua and its evo? [rom-hacking-wise, of course]
They've already started being plunged into hacks, and we don't even know their skills, potential, stats, etc.
What do you think about it? Are you with it? or against it?

Years
Even though I have been toying with the idea for quite some time, I don't think including Zoroa and Zoroark, just like doing so with Riolu and Lucario is in 2006ish time, is really original. Okay, sure, you're exicted about Generation Five, and the release of new Pokémon - most people are, but why guess ninety per cent of the Pokémon, going on only a few details, when you can just go with a fakemon, where the design, type and evo chain, along with all of the currently missing details that the Z family lack, are up to you, and available - sure, you may not be an expert spriter, but there are thousands of willing pixel artists out there who would help, given that your hack has at least some deceny. tl;dr, I'm against the idea, and think it's better to use fakemon, as of now.

Interesting topic, NiKa.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Okay, new topic. What do you think about those two foxy blasts, Zorua and its evo? [rom-hacking-wise, of course]
They've already started being plunged into hacks, and we don't even know their skills, potential, stats, etc.

I don't think it is a very wise idea. The new 5th gen pokemon are cool and all, but as you stated we can only assume what they are capable of. Placing them in a hack and filling in the variables with guesses is not good enough. I personally think it's going to be way over used. However it is nice to see the fan art sprites, they look very nice. All in all I'm against the addition of these pokemon until more info is confirmed.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
Years
I honestly think that including them in a hack right now would seem like a pretty good idea. Sure, their stats are unknown as of yet, but it means each time you play a hack with them included, you don't know what you're getting. For me that's what's really fun. I loved playing through the official games before knowing anything about them because the exploration and discovery factors really made them enjoyable.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
I honestly think that including them in a hack right now would seem like a pretty good idea. Sure, their stats are unknown as of yet, but it means each time you play a hack with them included, you don't know what you're getting. For me that's what's really fun. I loved playing through the official games before knowing anything about them because the exploration and discovery factors really made them enjoyable.

But wouldn't using fakemon create the same effect? you as the player will still be guessing rite?

Years

Bold= exactly why I'm against it. I remember, a couple of years ago, my friends went on holiday to Turkey. When they got back, they'd gotten me two Pokemon games that I'd never heard of (I knew they were fake, I think they did too, but it was a gift so I was polite about it. And psyched, too:D). Anyway, one of these "games" was called Pokemon Arcoiris.< Now that I've played a good amount of hacks, I know it was like an edited/rehacked version of Naranja or something>. Anyway, this hack had a made-date of 2005 in the boot-up screen, but it was like 2007 when I got it, after I got Pearl. It also included Lucario. And badly so- it was clearly Regirock, with a badly replaced sprite, a name change, a type change, and it had Metal Claw. That was it.
If you could decipher that babble, my point is, without decent knowledge, it makes it kinda shoddy, in my opinion. Guessing stats and moves doesn't cut it for me.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
Years
But wouldn't using fakemon create the same effect? you as the player will still be guessing rite?
Yeah, it would create the same effect. But you can also look at the new pokémon as fakemon with the limited knowledge we have. They both produce the same effect in a hack as of now anyway. I'm just saying that it isn't a terrible idea to use them now. I mean if they start to get over used, then maybe I would change my mind. But as of now, they could be fun to use in game.

It also included Lucario. And badly so- it was clearly Regirock, with a badly replaced sprite, a name change, a type change, and it had Metal Claw. That was it.
If you could decipher that babble, my point is, without decent knowledge, it makes it kinda shoddy, in my opinion. Guessing stats and moves doesn't cut it for me.
True, but that was badly done. Not everyone would do it so terrible like this. I know for a fact that if I included them into a hack I would put some effort into creating stats, move sets, abilities, etc. I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone, but I wouldn't want to play a hack that didn't put effort into that if they insert them.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021

Yeah, it would create the same effect. But you can also look at the new pokémon as fakemon with the limited knowledge we have. They both produce the same effect in a hack as of now anyway. I'm just saying that it isn't a terrible idea to use them now. I mean if they start to get over used, then maybe I would change my mind. But as of now, they could be fun to use in game.

You've persuaded me to agree with you, however I think they will be over used, I think about 3 hacks are using them atm, and it's getting even more popular too.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I disagree, I have found that Fakemon are generally looked down upon, and seem to have their own little community where they can all love their fakemon.

The reasons behind my findings? Simple, Fakemon are different from OFFICIAL pokemon, over time, a lot of "Official Pokemon" that turned out to be fakes (Anyone remember that Shaymin Sky Form Incident?) and it makes people angry, so most of the time, people see fakemon made for fun, and remember the pain (Yes, I use pain cause some you'd have to be a devoted fan like I am to be so disappointed in the fakes) that were "Supposedly" real. Now, I have no problem with Fakemon in hacks, it gives thing a nice bit of variety. And with Fakemon, you have a LOT of creative control, so I dont think it will get old.

Years
Yeah, it would create the same effect. But you can also look at the new pokémon as fakemon with the limited knowledge we have. They both produce the same effect in a hack as of now anyway.
You pose a good point, but flawed ones. Why use Nintendo's ideas, designs, etc. when you could make your own, and not be "flamed" (I put that in quote marks because it isn't literal flaming, ore telling-off) once generation five, along with Zoroark's family's other info, is revealed for doing it 'wrong', which is inevitable.

It's true, 0m3Ga, that people seem to look down on fakémon and shun hacks with them, but if hackers weren't so notorius for producing; in general; terrible fakémon created in three seconds in Paint, I see no reason why people shouldn't form a stereotype of hackers and bad fakémon. In any case, most hacks with good fakémon, i.e. Sienna, Torzach, have got a lot of public support, and, in both of those hacks' case, won an award of some sort (Hack of the Month for the former, Hack of the Week for the latter), proving that it isn't so bad to have fakémon, as long as they are quality, and are beleivable.

I may not be an expert spriter, or expert hacker, and I'm probably going off-track now, but I've discovered that if you try equally as hard on your maps or scripts or whatever on your sprites, and don't give up (as Chibi Robo can tell you), you'll eventually get some good sprites. In my opinion, a good hack is a balanced hack, so it wiill have good sprites, scripts, maps and any other things (i.e music, tiles), because otherwise, it will just be script-heavy, or map-heavy, or sprite-heavy, or whatever.

And anyway, like I said before, if you really can't sprite/accept critisism for your sprites/are too lazy to do some work, then hire a spriter.

I honestly can't see downsides of having good fakémon, especially when they're mixed in, effectively, with canon Pokémon. That is, canon Pokémon that we know all details about (i.e. not Zoroa/Zoroark).

So, I guess, new topic: why do you think fakémon are shunned upon so much, good or bad?

[/ramble]

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Well, like I said, fake pokemon are looked down upon for 2 reasons manly...
Either A: Made terribly, MSPaint lawls
or B: As I said before, when most people think of Fakemon, or see a Fakemon, they remember the HUNDREDS of times that they have been faked in place of "Upcoming Canon Pokemon" and when tehy find out it isn't, they are dissapointed, and begin to look down on fakemon in general, not only the ones posed as canon.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
Years
I think Fakemon is shunned upon because...

• Most of their designs are horribly made.
  • It doesn't gain enough exposure.

Like when Bonsly was first released, I was like "OMFG EW WTH IS THAT".
    A few months later, all the official stuffs came up, and I started liking it.

• They are only found on one single game; you can't trade them to other games.
  • There is absolutely too much Fakemon to make them memorable.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
There's nothing wrong with well-made Fakemon, and I mean well made.

If you're going to insert and mix Fakemon with Nintendo Pokemon, make the Fakemon Nintendo style. If not, there's slightly more leniency, as you can sort of develop a style in terms of palette and stuff.

There are games where, even if everything is a fakemon, it just looks downright horrible (uh, am I looking at you, Baro?).

Other times, Fakemon look awesome (Chaos Black has always stuck in my head as a game with great Fakemon, even though I played about one route).

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I said that because they were prolly copying your name.

But since we're talking about cheapness here, we might as well not limit ourselves onto this incident.
May I present to you, the fable circle of cheapness, in a three-person network:

1. Person A creates something original, that becomes popular and/or successful.
  2. Person B, who longs for success, but lacks time/appetite, creates something else, which might be similar to A's creation, or even almost identical, but is still presented as B's work.
  3. The closer B's work is identical to A's work, the bigger the fuss that is created. A conflict begins with mental rights as subject.
  4. The preponderating person wins (it's usually A), and the other person retreats.
  5. A new person (C) creates something new, or original.
  6. The losing player (A or B) will try to copy them in order to regain the success.
  7. The fable circle goes on like this.
At least, that happens in real life. In rom hacking, I suppose it's limited to concept stealing, etc. But sadly, it's more open and less strict in here...

I know, I know. But for that matter, true originality doesn't exists. We're always inspired from something, and we get ideas here and there throughtout our lives. Considering there are millions people, it's not that unusual that two people might share a common idea. But that's also where creativity starts.

@Hackmew:
That's just how to human mind works, they see something great and want to be just like that.

Well, my point wasn't being a discussion about human minds, to the say the truth.

In Pokemon Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen, they fixed that problem. That's why the patch is in there. To correct the problem. So, if it doesn't say that, it is still legit. I have Emerald myself, and I applied the patch to my Ruby Version. (After playing nearly 400 hours, I can still do time-based events. That's what the patch is for. When the battery dies, time-based events stop working. But the patch fixes that.

Uhm, sorry but they didn't fix anything in FR/LG since they have no clock in first place.
And another thing: the patch is meant to fix a berry glitch; as such it cannot "fix" a dead battery. The only way is to replace it.

As you can see, it's not really a matter of stealing as it is forgetting who it was who started everything up in the beginning.

That summarized your post, mostly. Well, like I said earlier, I know things works like that. Yet, I guess people should at least take a minute or two and brainstorm a little, when choosing a name. Wouldn't it be better? On a side note, one old team got renamed: now it's called Hacking Architects.

On the Berry Glitch: I've got some more info, and I'm basically ready to make the article. Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back