• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleinchen

boldly going
Years
  • Age 31
  • CA
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
I actually think the speculated type combos, so that each advantage would end up eventually being canceled out, is a really interesting idea. I can see how it could be frustrating, but how often do players really use their starters against the other starters in-game anyway? Aside from the rival who already defaults to whatever has the advantage over you, which in the end would be neutralized, so... I can see why people would be hesitant but I think that ultimately it wouldn't affect the experience of the game much at all. To be honest, I really love Fennekin but the thought of a Grass/Dark starter line is so exciting! I might just have to buy both games! :>

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 16, 2014
I didn't like the frog at first either but... he's growing on me. I love Chespin too, but I think I will choose Fennekin. Freakin love foxes. But I won't know until I actually have to choose in the game haha.

Years
It's very unlikely I'll choose the grass type unless its final evolution is far better looking than the others, which means I'll probably go with Fennekin unless it evolves into part fighting.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
So, at first I was 100% convinced these were absolute and utter Fakemon when I first saw them.

When I saw the trailer, and learned they were official...

Anyway, they aren't the worse trio of starters. That dishonor is still held by Generation 1's trio, at least in my opinion. Froakie is sort of starting to grow on me, and Fennekin reminds me of Renamon like somebody above said, which I adore! I'm probably going to be choosing Fennekin and nicknaming it Renamon.

Chespin, on the other hand... for the sake of avoiding seeming pessimistic, because I really am excited for Generation VI and I don't want to make it seem like I'm hating, I'll keep my opinions on it to myself. But, I was incredibly surprised when the public generally favored Chespin over Froakie.

...Also, I never get why people have it engraved in their heads that Dark/Fighting/Psychic is a "type triangle" comparable to Fire/Grass/Water. Dark is immune to Psychic; that's not fair! According to a quick Google search, here are supposedly fair type triangles:

Grass, Poison, Ground
Rock, Bug, Grass
Ground, Fire, Ice
Ground, Steel, Ice
Flying, Fighting, Rock
Ice, Flying, Fighting
Rock, Fire, Steel
Rock, Ice, Ground
Rock, Ice, Grass
Rock, Fire, Grass
Rock, Flying, Grass
Ground, Fire, Grass

A lot of them have Grass, but this just here to give an idea!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Oh wow...Just read a comment on Pokejungle that has me questioning this now. What if the attack Fennekin used wasn't psychic? Someone said they thought it was Confuse Ray. So Fennekin could be part ghost if we continue with that speculation.

Though I still say Pure fire.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Confuse Ray is one of those moves that isn't really married to Pokemon of a specific type, so who knows.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
froashawott.png

The truth must be spread against Froakie hate!

Support Froakie~

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
It's very unlikely I'll choose the grass type unless its final evolution is far better looking than the others, which means I'll probably go with Fennekin unless it evolves into part fighting.
No, they did Fire/Fighting already.

Cyclone

Years
Oh wow...Just read a comment on Pokejungle that has me questioning this now. What if the attack Fennekin used wasn't psychic? Someone said they thought it was Confuse Ray. So Fennekin could be part ghost if we continue with that speculation.

Though I still say Pure fire.

Being a fox Pokemon, it could be a ghost type like how Ninetails was supposed to be, with the whole curse and living 1,000 years thing. Also, it would be inspired by the Kyuubi and other fox myths. Like naruto

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Didn't stop it from being done in Gens 4 and 5. >>;;
That's what I was talking about.

I am not a fan of Ghost types. I would be very sad if it becomes a subtype of a starter, especially a starter I find to my liking.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
So, at first I was 100% convinced these were absolute and utter Fakemon when I first saw them.

When I saw the trailer, and learned they were official...

Anyway, they aren't the worse trio of starters. That dishonor is still held by Generation 1's trio, at least in my opinion. Froakie is sort of starting to grow on me, and Fennekin reminds me of Renamon like somebody above said, which I adore! I'm probably going to be choosing Fennekin and nicknaming it Renamon.

Chespin, on the other hand... for the sake of avoiding seeming pessimistic, because I really am excited for Generation VI and I don't want to make it seem like I'm hating, I'll keep my opinions on it to myself. But, I was incredibly surprised when the public generally favored Chespin over Froakie.

...Also, I never get why people have it engraved in their heads that Dark/Fighting/Psychic is a "type triangle" comparable to Fire/Grass/Water. Dark is immune to Psychic; that's not fair! According to a quick Google search, here are supposedly fair type triangles:

Grass, Poison, Ground
Rock, Bug, Grass
Ground, Fire, Ice
Ground, Steel, Ice
Flying, Fighting, Rock
Ice, Flying, Fighting
Rock, Fire, Steel
Rock, Ice, Ground
Rock, Ice, Grass
Rock, Fire, Grass
Rock, Flying, Grass
Ground, Fire, Grass

A lot of them have Grass, but this just here to give an idea!

It doesn't have to be PERFECT to be fair.

For example, if they were Grass / Dark VS Fire / Psychic... Fire still has an advantage over grass, so it doesn't mean that Fennekin couldn't attack Chespin effectively.

I personally think it would be amazing if they had this dual-typing because it would mean that your rival is more evenly matched with you.

Years
  • Seen Oct 11, 2013
Honestly,I would pick the fox. I forgot its name but can't wait for Pokemon X to come out!

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
I'm definitely gonna choose Fennekin when I first get the games, and then, depending on how the other twos' evolutions turn out, it's a tie between Froakie and Chespin for when I play the other game. However, I'm currently leaning toward Froakie~

Regardless, they're all pretty cute (Fennekin especially) and I really hope their evos. are awesome! ;~;

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Being a fox Pokemon, it could be a ghost type like how Ninetails was supposed to be, with the whole curse and living 1,000 years thing. Also, it would be inspired by the Kyuubi and other fox myths. Like naruto

Speaking of which, it looks as if Fennekin is based off of a Fennec fox. (See the similarities between the names?) It has large ears like them, and has colour similarities.

I really like the new starters, honestly. They have pretty good designs. I plan on chosing Chespin, because I haven't chosen the grass starter in a while.
I have one question, though.
What is Chespin? I mean, what EXACTLY is it? I can't tell. ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back