• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Super MarioMon! (Beta available to download)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
You seriously need to listen to these people's criticism. Nostalgia aside, nobody wants to look at those horrible sprites. Using consistent sprites from the Mario & Luigi GBA and DS games will increase the quality of this game SO much. I also truly think you should keep with the bad Pokemon/good Pokemon theory. Just because a Pokemon is outclassed by another doesn't mean it can't be used >_>. Anyone who's good at Pokemon can still beat the game with a bad team. Using bad teams makes it more enjoyable anyway in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
You seriously need to listen to these people's criticism. Nostalgia aside, nobody wants to look at those horrible sprites. Using consistent sprites from the Mario & Luigi GBA and DS games will increase the quality of this game SO much. I also truly think you should keep with the bad Pokemon/good Pokemon theory. Just because a Pokemon is outclassed by another doesn't mean it can't be used >_>. Anyone who's good at Pokemon can still beat the game with a bad team. Using bad teams makes it more enjoyable anyway in my opinion.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm takin' the criticism to heart. That's why I plan on updating the sprites to all share the proper generation bit-age. Gonna try to make everything share a 16-bit look. Also gonna re size the sprites to make the pixels seem consistent. Shouldn't be too hard, considering that All Stars pretty much did most of the work for me. XD

Although, I refuse to be restricted to only sprites from one game though. I highly doubt there's sprites for 150 different Mario enemies, even in all 3 games. And even if there are, there's gonna be a ton of Mario enemies that no one cares about!

I mean, if that means better quality, then great. If it makes me a terrible hacker if i refuse to go that route? Then call me terrible! I'm not gonna miss out on some good classic Mario enemies just 'cause it didn't look pretty enough.

I appreciate the criticism, I do! But don't precede to think you talk for everyone when you raise those complaints. This game is made for Mario fans! It aims to please Mario fans. This is why I'm gonna use the original sprites, albit with a few modifications, and not restrict myself to one game.

Oh and I liked a balanced roster. ^_^ If you want a challenge, why not play the game without evolving your guys? Since the enemy pokemon are all good and balanced, that should make the game even harder for you if you use a 1st level evolution. =P

Oh and Sai, took care of the thing for you. Sorry, was busy. ^_^;;

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
@ The creator - He never said that you would be less of a hacker, it would look more appealing. If you see a consistent style, it would look better, but if that isn't possible, then OK, you will use different styles. My advice would be possibly finding someone to revamp the sprites to a particular style, just for consistency, and to make the game look better.

However, that is my 2 cents. You do what you want. Either way, I'm happy for this hack, as I do not care too much about sprites, but story. This story is... Interesting. It adds this weird element of morality, as some could say Mario is doing good, trying to stop Bowser liberating his minions, but a weird twisted sense of being wrong, as they were enslaved... Hmm... This could be interesting, if done correctly. I know that Mario is doing it for peace, but enslavement and brainwashing is a grey area, no matter what happens...

Last edited:

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
My brother loves this game. He plays it each and everyday!

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for all the names saifros! It really is helping! The issue with cool koopa actually stems from the fact that the normal paper mario koopas, the premise for the character, are just called koopa troopas in that game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't dark koopas the blue ones that have the tornado attack when knocked down? I could make my cool koopa blue and rename it, but I think I'm gonna save that one for a new character, since I can see it having a different type and move set then a normal koopa. I'm gonna spend some time on like Mario wiki or something to make sure I get all the names right for next release.

@ The creator - He never said that you would be less of a hacker, it would look more appealing. If you see a consistent style, it would look better, but if that isn't possible, then OK, you will use different styles. My advice would be possibly finding someone to revamp the sprites to a particular style, just for consistency, and to make the game look better.

However, that is my 2 cents. You do what you want. Either way, I'm happy for this hack, as I do not care too much about sprites, but story. This story is... Interesting. It adds this weird element of morality, as some could say Mario is doing good, trying to stop Bowser liberating his minions, but a weird twisted sense of being wrong, as they were enslaved... Hmm... This could be interesting, if done correctly. I know that Mario is doing it for peace, but enslavement and brainwashing is a grey area, no matter what happens...

Dun worry Ban, I'm already mid process, or rather, just started. XD, of changing the ratios of all the sprites to make them look a bit more consistent. The flaw of using sprites that were designed to be smaller then the pokemon ones is that they look way to tiny normal sized, but look magnified when enlarged. I'm trying to find a good middle ground for this though.

Glad you like the story too! Since I'm admittedly not great at scripting, I'm trying my best to make the story be reflected adequately with just environmental and text based changes. The story of pokemon itself always seemed kinda schmaltzy to me. I mean, you're beating up wild animals, enslaving them, and forcing them to fight. How can you possibly tell me that the game revolves around making friends with pokemon? XD I kinda wanna bring to the forefront what I'm sure we've all been thinking in the game... and I kinda wanna try to lend a sympathetic view towards the mariomon.

Which, brings up a question I was wondering about... is there a good text editor for this game? I was using Advanced Map for this game, and I don't think it has a text editor in it. If someone could point me in the direction of one, I'd be really grateful. ^_^ Ooooh, and a method for changing trainer's pokemon, that'd be swell!

Also, is there a guide for script editing anywhere? Even if it's basic, I still wanna give it a shot. ^_^;;

Years
well the cool-koopa is a dark koopa red cuz it's in more colours
OH and I have tools for that they are called PET and advance text you can google them easily
Ps: the best sprites you can use are the Paper mario ones it has like every sprite well close and they are good quallity and there are 3 paper mario games go to spriters resource it has all sprites you need

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
well the cool-koopa is a dark koopa red cuz it's in more colours
OH and I have tools for that they are called PET and advance text you can google them easily
Ps: the best sprites you can use are the Paper mario ones it has like every sprite well close and they are good quallity and there are 3 paper mario games go to spriters resource it has all sprites you need

Huzzah! Thanks Saifros! I'm gonna dabble in those programs as soon as I can. ^_^

And the Paper Mario Sprites...I'm afraid that's a no go. Afraid they have to expansive of a palette for the GBA based game. Some sprites in the original Paper Mario work, like the one I used for Koopatrol, but the others ones are just too complex for this game. ^_^;;

Years
Please feel free to comment. I'm interested in what you guys think. Any glitches or bugs you guys find, report to me. Also, if anyone's really interested in the premise, I'd love some help on mapping and scripting. ^_^
what kind of mapping, using a-map to change maps so that it won't look like it is suposed to have diferrent names cuz I can do that or do you mean changing tiles where im horible at cuz I don't even know how to change them or with wich tool >_> but I can map

Years
you should add a story to it, and edit the player adding a mario character, but if you do this, dont add mario as a pkmn, and if another player will be a girl, will have mario as a pkmn, lool
thanks for listening to my opinion :)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Perfect! I'm going to play this game! I think it's going to be perfect!

EDIT: Augh! My eyes! They're bleeding!!!

Honestly, I had to make this post. The sprites are horrific, you should try to learn spriting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back