• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Map Name: No Name
Hack: Unnamed
Info: small town with a bland beach on the bottom (i couldnt find any beach tiles in firered rom). exiting the city is through the bottom left,through the beach; where you enter a more modern port city.
Credits: Nintendo

I don't like this map very much.
It has tile errors, border errors, and way too much empty space.
What's the point of the beach if it's so empty? Put some beach umbrellas!
You might wanna make the town a bit smaller too, so that there's less empty space. And add a road of some kind.
Rating: 4/10

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017

Name: Breeze Town
Game: Fire Red
The grass tile is going to be swapped with Emerald Grass. It's a starter town, so it's pretty boring.
Spoiler:

I agree with Winter to say that starting towns are not meant to be boring, just simplistic. maybe you think simplistic is boring, but on to the review. Btw, im going to try to say things winter didnt already cover, if there is any =/.

Im going to start with the trees, now mapping "nintendo style", the straight line borders, is an ok way to go, but should be expanded on by the mapper. your trees seem very un natural, in the sense that you see repetitive patterns like on the bottom where there are singles trees to make a corner less square. instead, try adding multiple trees in random groups, extending from the border, or even groups of trees in the middle of maps(if big enough).

Next comes buildings. i wouldnt consider these tile errors, and maybe its because you plan to change the grass tiles, but the grass tiles behind top of the houses are solid colors, i think that would be changed though by the addition of the new grass tiles. another repetitive thing i see are the bushes along side the east side of the houses, one even blocks access behind the houses. this seems odd to me, but the mailbox next to the house on top should actually be right next to it, not the tile below.

Finally, lets talk space and placement, Winter covered this, but im going to suggest simple ideas that can change and manage space. so as winter said, the houses should have a lot of space around them, but that doesnt mean empty space. in between houses or next to one, add a fenced garden or maybe in the middle of the map, a small plaza-like spot with a signpost. and if the houses are next to the borders, u can even add some kind of tree group to separate them.

overall, this is a learning map, where you learn what you need to work on and how to improve.Make sure you keep your mind open to ideas when mapping, anything that may seem crazy or unreasonable can lead to a brilliant map idea. Map Score: 2.5/10.
Info: Small little town i whipped up real quick for practice. i decided not to add a pokemart because it seemed excessive to the idea of a really simplistic town. the only thing that bothers me is the mountain, seems a bit odd, but maybe its me being pessimistic.
Credits: Nintendo

Note: For future reviews of maps, i (as well as most mappers asking for review, probably) would appreciate if reviews go deep into detail when mentioning errors such as tile errors and etc. i think it would be nice if each review also had a small conclusions providing suggestions, if not already stated. so please take this into mind, its not needed, though it would help many.

Spoiler:

marcc5m

what
Years
I like the map concept but the playability could be better, try to expand it for space. I like the shape and how it look like a island. Work on those flaw and it be good. 6\10

Map name: Scarlet Town
Hack: Pokemon SolarLuna
comment: this is my starter town, I think there some shading error but otherwise that I think I did a decent job for not hacking for like what, 11 month. BTW ignore the event lol
Spoiler:

I really like this map. Fr tiles go really well with the emerald grass imo, and it looks like you've captured Game Freak's style really well. Honestly there isn't much I can say about this map...It's good, that's all there is to say basically lol. 8/10

---------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Route 0 (doesn't really have a name, but the mountain kinda looks like a zero)
Game: Pokemon Iron and Stone (an old FireRed hack)
Credits: Uhh...mostly Alistair lol. Cba looking for my old thread but they're all there.
Other info: I think...this may be my best map ever. :O Btw that little bit at the left is supposed to be a Cut tree and Pokeball...I can't use overworlds though. :P
Map:
Spoiler:

Copy and paste; like a boss.

demondismon

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
well the mountian palletes could be changed but besides that its a good map.i do see a tiny error with the trees the blades that come out look a lil darker.plus you should move the sigh out of the rock. 8 out of 10

rate my map from 0 - 10 please only what you really think and what should improve. thanks
http://i56.tinypic.com/294orbq.jpg
map name: ending route
game:ruby
credits: Xiros,alucus,derlo,and R!cci
other info: made when really bored and need to know what should be worked on

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
I really like this map. Fr tiles go really well with the emerald grass imo, and it looks like you've captured Game Freak's style really well. Honestly there isn't much I can say about this map...It's good, that's all there is to say basically lol. 8/10

---------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Route 0 (doesn't really have a name, but the mountain kinda looks like a zero)
Game: Pokemon Iron and Stone (an old FireRed hack)
Credits: Uhh...mostly Alistair lol. Cba looking for my old thread but they're all there.
Other info: I think...this may be my best map ever. :O Btw that little bit at the left is supposed to be a Cut tree and Pokeball...I can't use overworlds though. :P
Map:
Spoiler:

Copy and paste; like a boss.

Sexy map lol
Any who I like the map, it simple and it has a unique feel to it and I have nothing to say much. 9/10

Map name: Cyan Pathway
Hack: Pokemon SolarLunar
Comment: I think this is one of my good route map, I surprise that it turn out good, pat on shoulder.
Spoiler:

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
well the mountian palletes could be changed but besides that its a good map.i do see a tiny error with the trees the blades that come out look a lil darker.plus you should move the sigh out of the rock. 8 out of 10

rate my map from 0 - 10 please only what you really think and what should improve. thanks
http://i56.tinypic.com/294orbq.jpg
map name: ending route
game:ruby
credits: Xiros,alucus,derlo,and R!cci
other info: made when really bored and need to know what should be worked on
first u should have input
at the end and spoiler it
it's a really really empty map!
it kinda good but still there are too manye mepty parts full those with trees or somehting and improve and still it don't ahve a good feeling to it

name : Jarurej walley
info: me and my friend thinks its my best map ever
Spoiler:

demondismon

Years
- anbuja's bloody - i dont like the map the cave does not fit my liking the palletes dont fit toghether and i dont like the styling of the trees sorry.however i do like the water.4/10

Spoiler:

please rate and tell me what you really think.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
- anbuja's bloody - i dont like the map the cave does not fit my liking the palletes dont fit toghether and i dont like the styling of the trees sorry.however i do like the water.4/10

Spoiler:

its really empty the mountains are straight try doing them more random , and why are there only two trees?? add more. the little trees are just in a line tree don;t grow in lines , add a few other houses , some more tree and amke the lake a bit more random and u have a good map.

Last edited:

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years

Spoiler:

This map is really square. Everything you have here comes in man-made fashions. Like the trees, if you observe nature for a hot second, you'll notice that trees don't grow in perfect rows. Mountains aren't exactly a square terrain, either. Uhh.. Let's see, the grass is also in very square patches. The upper patch being a 6x4 rectangle. o_O Try looking at other maps to see how you can give yours a more natural feel.
Final rating: 2/10

Credits: Anbuja's_BlooDy for letting me use his base
Comments: Me trying it out. First map I made with it. :) All comments and criticism welcome. :)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

demondismon

Years
@winter wonderland: even though its the same pallettes and trees and what not i would have to give this map a 9/10 for it seeming natural.however i dont like so much the flower's but thats just my tast.
@winter wonderland about my map:thanks i see what you mean now i hope my next map will be much better then the past 2. thanks for the advice and criticism.

Years
This map is really square. Everything you have here comes in man-made fashions. Like the trees, if you observe nature for a hot second, you'll notice that trees don't grow in perfect rows. Mountains aren't exactly a square terrain, either. Uhh.. Let's see, the grass is also in very square patches. The upper patch being a 6x4 rectangle. o_O Try looking at other maps to see how you can give yours a more natural feel.
Final rating: 2/10

Credits: Anbuja's_BlooDy for letting me use his base
Comments: Me trying it out. First map I made with it. :) All comments and criticism welcome. :)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
The map is good though there are some things that bug me a bit. The sides of the map look really straight and don't have any thickness to it. Also, there are some really open places which makes it feel a bit empty when in game play. Also, the map looks really unorganized. Though, I love the shape of your pond, mountains, and your tree positioning. This makes the map feel natural, which I think thats the style you're going for, right? Anyway, I give this map a 7/10. :)

Now, for my map. ;)

Comments: I haven't posted a map on here for about a year or so now, and I figured why not post a map and improve my mapping like it was back in the day. I'm also using the style Neti tutored me.
Credits: Neti - For his rombase.

MapShot:
Spoiler:

Years

The map is good though there are some things that bug me a bit. The sides of the map look really straight and don't have any thickness to it. Also, there are some really open places which makes it feel a bit empty when in game play. Also, the map looks really unorganized. Though, I love the shape of your pond, mountains, and your tree positioning. This makes the map feel natural, which I think thats the style you're going for, right? Anyway, I give this map a 7/10. :)

Now, for my map. ;)

Comments: I haven't posted a map on here for about a year or so now, and I figured why not post a map and improve my mapping like it was back in the day. I'm also using the style Neti tutored me.

MapShot:
Spoiler:

The mountain shape is pretty good, nothing bad there, you might have overdone it with the small rocks, you should remove a couple on the bottom right mountain, the tree placement isn't what i liked though, for me it seems as if the trees were too separated from each other. and makes the map look more empty, try putting the trees a little closer than each other and your map will look amazing ;)

map name:route 1
hack:none
Rombase:firered
comments: it's 2 routes in 1, the route on the right is the route connecting to the starter town, and in that same route, there is a forest up ahead (the two weirdly placed flowers)

Attachments

• 1stroute.png
    1stroute.png
    30 KB · Views: 108

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
Now, for my map. ;)

MapShot:
Spoiler:
That's a fair rating, I appreciate it! Onto your map. I feel as if you used the trees too sparingly. It makes the map feel empty, plus the ground is white. White reminds someone of blank paper, which is, well, blank. So, when making snow maps, it's best to fill up the map as best as possible. Also, on the ice river, I feel as if you used the cracked ice a bit too much. The rock makes for a good ice puzzle, though. :) The mountains have a very natural feel and I like that. I think around the bridge, you should clear the grass up some. But, the bridge is a nice touch linking the two mountains together. Overall, I give this map a 6/10

My map
Name: One-of-my-routes-;D
Hack: None
Credits: Anbuja's_BlooDy for letting me use his base. :)
Comments: Just another route. Be brutally honest. :)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

demondismon

Years
@winter wonderland..lmao brutfully honest... i likt the map but i dont like the stuff floating on the water.........i think the map could have a litttle more of a twist but its good either way6/10

map name:route 194
rom:pokemon legends ebb
Spoiler:

please tell me the truth.

Years
@winter wonderland..lmao brutfully honest... i likt the map but i dont like the stuff floating on the water.........i think the map could have a litttle more of a twist but its good either way6/10

map name:route 194
rom:pokemon legends ebb
Spoiler:

please tell me the truth.
This map is very square. When mapping make the border first, then add a bunch of trees in the corners to make it less square. Your mountains are very poorly made. Make'em more natrual and zigzag look. (You will see this in my map.) Your map is also poorly made, make it a bit bigger and add more corners to it, to make it more round. Also, I don't think you plan your maps well because it doesn't seem to be going anywhere really. I give this a 2/10

Game: Fire Red.
Comments: This is other map I posted but improved. Please rate. :)
Credits: Neti for his rombase.
Mapshots:
Spoiler:

.Mini

Graphics Artist
Years
My map
Name: One-of-my-routes-;D
Hack: None
Credits: Anbuja's_BlooDy for letting me use his base. :)
Comments: Just another route. Be brutally honest. :)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Okay, I'm going to be totally honest right now. I really like this map, it's plain, and straightforward. The placement of the things in the water on the bottom right corner could be a bit more spread out, but it's good. The ONLY real problem I have with this is some of the random blank spots around the trees. I know I don't do much mapping, but this map would be good enough to put in a hack, I would rate it an 8/10. But I'm just a nub when it comes to maps :p

Years

Game: Fire Red.
Comments: This is other map I posted but improved. Please rate. :)
Credits: Neti for his rombase.
Mapshots:
Spoiler:

I'm pretty impressed by this map honestly. No tile errors that I could see, not even any shading errors hah. I also very much like the whole snow theme it looks amazing. Even the snow on top of the sign looks natural. The only issue is that if you don't decide to connect from all sides obviously some of the boundaries are going to be off.
9/10 :) Very well done.

Now for mine.
Map name: Thunderfalls Town
Map Game: Leaf Green (With original tiles)
Comments: I wasn't really sure which tiles to use on the side of the waterfall. Also one of my first maps, It seems really empty I'm not sure what else to put in it.

Spoiler:

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
Years
Now for mine.
Comments: I wasn't really sure which tiles to use on the side of the waterfall. Also one of my first maps, It seems really empty I'm not sure what else to put in it.

Spoiler:

Rating: 7 out of 10
Reason: Given that this is an early map, I have to say you've done some decent work. The overall layout is well done, but I would change a few things. Try making the coast of the water a bit more rounded (espically if you're going for a natural feel). The waterfalls look nice, but the small pool in the middle seems a little off to me. Perhaps, If you're looking to make the middle water fall look further back Try setting up the tiles like:
...... ______
____|........|_____ (dots are there to keep it shaped properly)

To try and fill up the map a bit more, I would use the smaller trees (lightly; maybe 5-8 at most). And maybe some more fences (along part of the border of the town, or some of the path way.) I'd also suggest a few more rocks in the water.
Don't be afraid of using the detail blocks (fencing, flowers, bushes, etc.), But don't clog the map up to the point you can't get around. I try to cover about 10% of my open space with details in towns and cities, 20% for average routes and 30% for rugged wild areas. Try to use the details to explain what your area is like (less yet orderly for more urban areas, and more naturally and randomly placed for more Rural areas, more rocks in mountains, and more flowers in Fields.)

I do have to tell you of the shading errors, and also you have the wrong tile on the left corner of the base of the left waterfall.

(I hope I wan't too harsh sounding, and I apologize if I was)

Well, Here's my Map:

Game: personal Project of mine
ROM: Fire Red
Comments: Route Four wraps around the base of a large mountain, you can walk the low road around across the lakes, or the high road on the side of the mountain. (warning it's a large map)
Map
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Now for mine.

Spoiler:
As you said, it seems pretty empty. Try adding more trees, fences, bush, decoration, etc.
you're using the wrong ledge tile near the cave, and you have quite a few tree shading errors.
the mountain with waterfalls looks a bit square too. you've got tile errors at the back of the GYM and the rock in the middle of the water below the cave.

on the bright side, it seems to be a pretty good map for a beginner. the only main problem I see with it is that it's a bit too empty. :D
--------------------------------------------------------
Name: Route 1
Game: FR
Comments: A simple route at the beginning of the game. ignore the tree shading errors, i've fixed them. :3
Spoiler:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
As you said, it seems pretty empty. Try adding more trees, fences, bush, decoration, etc.
you're using the wrong ledge tile near the cave, and you have quite a few tree shading errors.
the mountain with waterfalls looks a bit square too. you've got tile errors at the back of the GYM and the rock in the middle of the water below the cave.

on the bright side, it seems to be a pretty good map for a beginner. the only main problem I see with it is that it's a bit too empty. :D
--------------------------------------------------------
Name: Route 1
Game: FR
Comments: A simple route at the beginning of the game. ignore the tree shading errors, i've fixed them. :3
Spoiler:
I'm afraid I think this map is horrible. First thing's first there's an unnecessary overload of flowers and half of their placements are extremely eyeblinding and badly placed. I'm not sure if you're aware but ledges are usually used so that the map can be navigated through a lot quicker second time around, not to just, kinda, be there in the first place. Also, what's up with there being no grass that you have to go through? The paths are terribly done also, as they're all different sizes and shapes, placed in random places and honesty don't correlate to the map too much.

4/5 out of 10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back