• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonlen

Hacking Noob
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2011
Ok, so I was wondering if there was a way to track your playtime, and set it to another location in the rom along with where ever it is stored normally so it can be used as a sort of internal game clock so that I can customize how long the day lasts, like in The Elder Scrolls games 1 minutes is about 5 sec. but I want to do something like that in Pokemon Fire Red.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Where can I learn how to make my own tools for Fire Red? I have been searching all over Google and Pokecommunity with little luck, and I'm about to rip my hair out..

What I know: (very little)
Use Visual Basic

What I would like to know:
Code for loading the ROM
Different Data locations in the ROM (pokemon info, names, text, etc.)
Overwriting data to the ROM

Help will be very appreciated! Thanks

I would strengthen your learning on the IO (File reading/writing) field. Google how to write bytes to an offset, learn how the data works, and there you go!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
If I were to replace Platinum's narc file of it's battle sprites with the file from HG/SS, would Platinum then use HG/SS sprites? Or do I have to manually re-insert all 493 Pokemon?

sonlen

Hacking Noob
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2011
If I were to replace Platinum's narc file of it's battle sprites with the file from HG/SS, would Platinum then use HG/SS sprites? Or do I have to manually re-insert all 493 Pokemon?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong. They should, but the palettes and anything else different with the sprites will be wrong. You would have to repoint everything for them.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2010
How do I unpack/view the contents of narc files? I can't figure it out.

If there's a program to do it (preferably a GUI, but not is okay too, I can learn) then please link me to it, I'd appreciate it greatly.

If there's no program, then please explain/link to an explanation of how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
Years
How do I unpack/view the contents of narc files? I can't figure it out.

If there's a program to do it (preferably a GUI, but not is okay too, I can learn) then please link me to it, I'd appreciate it greatly.

If there's no program, then please explain/link to an explanation of how to do it.

Thanks in advance.
7zip, bitzipper, ect. Just search NARC file extractor on your preferred search engine, and you will find it.

Freya

Squee!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2016
Can anyone tell me the Unlz number for the battle menu in Emerald? I mean the one with the pokemon's name, their HP. . . I looked through D-Trogh's numbers already.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I've got a serious problem...

As you can see from the attachments, in game the black background is randomly reflecting tiles from the map, for no reason, and that one floor tile is black, and acts like a puddle of water if you walk on it. I've checked and they don't have any funky behavior/background bytes.

I honestly have no clue wtf is going on, so I would really appreciate some help.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I've got a serious problem...

As you can see from the attachments, in game the black background is randomly reflecting tiles from the map, for no reason, and that one floor tile is black, and acts like a puddle of water if you walk on it. I've checked and they don't have any funky behavior/background bytes.

I honestly have no clue wtf is going on, so I would really appreciate some help.

Try using a different tile? Some tiles are used to store animations and the such.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
how does LSL and LSR work? let's say i have

lsl r1, r2, #0x10

and

lsr r1, r2, #0x10

they way i interpret it is r2 will be logical shipped by 16 times then store to r1? i dont get it

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
hey peeps i have been tryin to improve my mapping skills and im starting to get better. however, i have come across a problem. you no you get black borders for map for the insides of houses...like the pokemart. well i created a new map in advance map and now wheneva i start up the rom the black border is no longer the...it is purple/pink!! :S. not only that but the map is repeated...but with every other square filled in, in purple...this happens on both the left and the right of the map. (pictures below) any help would be appriciated.

note: im not good with many of the technical terms in rom hackingas im just a begginer, so it would be good if you could explain in lame terms lol :D

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Search for the given value in your ROM and turn it into a point.

In this case, search for 10 66 48 [S-HIGHLIGHT]00[/S-HIGHLIGHT] (Reversed address of what you posted). And change the highlighted bit to 08.

Is that a hex value or a different type of value? because I keep trying and it comes up string not found. I really have no idea of what I'm doing wrong.

Freya

Squee!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2016
Can anyone tell me the Unlz number for the battle menu in Emerald? I mean the one with the pokemon's name, their HP. . . I looked through D-Trogh's numbers already.
Never mind. I found it myself, I just had to use black and white mode. The battle boxes start at 944 for Emerald, in case anyone ever looks for it again.

sonlen

Hacking Noob
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2011
Is that a hex value or a different type of value? because I keep trying and it comes up string not found. I really have no idea of what I'm doing wrong.

Pointers are in HEX, and if you want to search for where the pointer is in ur quote, you need to revers the first 6 bytes, and add 08 to the end.

10 66 48 08 is a pointer that is pointing to the offset
0x486610 or 00486610 depending on your HEX editor
So you need to go to the offset 486610

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Pointers are in HEX, and if you want to search for where the pointer is in ur quote, you need to revers the first 6 bytes, and add 08 to the end.

10 66 48 08 is a pointer that is pointing to the offset
0x486610 or 00486610 depending on your HEX editor
So you need to go to the offset 486610

Thank you, it worked.

Thank you Darthatron,the error message doesn't come up anymore. I realise why I failed now:embarrass

The only problem I have now is on the map connections for the map it has 1, and -8 (which was originally -1) and everytime I try to delete it, the number will change to -1 of what it was, (so -8 will go to -9, and -9 would go to -10 etc)

mapconnectionproblemama.png

mapconnectionproblem.png

and all them tiles appear and if I try to walk into the next map I just get stuck and can't move

sonlen

Hacking Noob
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2011
Thank you, it worked.

Thank you Darthatron,the error message doesn't come up anymore. I realise why I failed now:embarrass

The only problem I have now is on the map connections for the map it has 1, and -8 (which was originally -1) and everytime I try to delete it, the number will change to -1 of what it was, (so -8 will go to -9, and -9 would go to -10 etc)

mapconnectionproblemama.png

mapconnectionproblem.png

and all them tiles appear and if I try to walk into the next map I just get stuck and can't move

The only thing I can think of is you didn't click the add button, otherwise I have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back