• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Where does this generation rank among your favourites?

Outlier

I could be wrong here but I've always felt that 4th gen is generally considered by many to be the most underwhelming of all of them. With 5th gen perhaps being the most polarizing. Not to say that I agree with that sentiment mind you but that's what I've noticed from observing the fandom over the years. I actually play 4th gen more than any of the newer ones, if only due the HG/SS remakes.

Anyway where do you personally rank the fourth generation in comparison to all of the others? Take the characters, stories and of course the actual Pokemon into consideration while answering this. Is there anything about 4th gen that stands out to you in a positive or negative light that isn't present in the other generations?

Years
4th Gen ranks third overall in terms of what I love but like every generation it has its setbacks and here I mostly blame it on the bad level curve in these games, particularly HG/SS, making it very hard to train your Pokemon up because there's like not much in the way of high-EXP Pokemon other than evolved stuff.

But Sinnoh on the other hand does have some fondness with me despite never being able to get to the Elite Four (I feel like the games are too long which could be frustrating for kids) I still love the characters and Pokemon this region brought out to us.

As for something that stands out, I would have to give that to the physical/special split. That was the best thing to come out of 4th Gen because it made Pokemon that were previously not-so-good finally able to have more effective moves that their better stat can take.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
When it comes to where I rank the fourth gen of Pokemon games, I have it split in two parts. The first part (Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum), I have it ranked fourth among my favorite gens. As for the second part (Heart Gold and Soul Silver), I have ranked last among my favorite gens. One reason why I have ranked it that low is because I really hate Voltorb Flip.

Years
4th Gen is easily in my top 3. 2nd Gen is first and then 4th Gen is probably tied for 2nd place with 3rd Gen.

For Sinnoh I liked a lot of the areas, Pokémon, Barry the rival, Jupiter (she's my favourite admin haha) and more. In Johto they brought my favourite region back to life, had Pokémon follow you!!, the Pokéathlon and so much more :)

Years
It's inbetween for me. My order is Unova = Hoenn > Johto(G/S/C) > Kalos = Fourth Generation(D/P/Pt and HG/SS) > Kanto which is.. pretty okay. Sinnoh was an amazing region when D/P just came out since it was such a huge jump from R/S/E but when later games came out it became a lot more underwhelming in comparison. Still like it, though, but I wouldn't consider any region underwhelming either. Sinnoh had a great story and the gameplay was addicting so it has a lot going for it. Aaand that music ahh! Cynthia's theme. *_*

As far as HG/SS goes it's sitting comfortably in the "Sinnoh" spot. While it's a fantastic game it can't compare to the originals and the sluggish controls/movement bothered me. The PC box and animations went by too slow.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
It ranks third for me it was fourth but thanks to Oras hoenn was downplayed a lot for me.
Number one was Kalos
Number two was Unova
Number three is Sinnoh
Now Kalos was great for me i loved the storyline and same for unova
For sinnoh though what got it up there is how cool the region was there was a lot of cool things it wasnt hard but it wasnt easy team galactic was great and so was the storyline along with how it had that great post game and a ton of events like Shaymin with oaks letter, fullmoon island with Darkrai, and the azure flute with Arceus! Overall i great gen maybe even better in unova (:

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Let's see
Hoenn
Unova
Kalos (was previously somewhere low lol)
Sinnoh/Johto
Kanto

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Sinnoh/Unova/Johto/Kanto/Hoenn/Kalos, for me.

The Sinnoh region and its games were highlights to my Pokemon life. I absolutely loved them. Platinum's probably the only reason I never gave my DS Lite away, while Diamond was the game that started it all. My love for the series, that is.

Years
This one is the best for me. I love Sinnoh, and it's Pokemon. Platinum was my most favorite Pokemon game of all time. I love the connection with 1st and 2nd generations.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Easily in my top 3, at least. I think for me, the regions go in this order:

Hoenn
Sinnoh
Kalos
Johto/Kanto
Unova

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
when dppt were first out I didn't love them, but I could tolerate them. I played countless times on those games. I still don't think the batch of Pokemon that came out with that region were that great, but I don't hate any of them. It was all pretty medicore to me. I did though, really enjoy the characters. I thought Team Galactic was fairly interesting, the professor gave me a real professor feel, the rival was OKAY, and Cynthia was a really good champion. Also I enjoyed Looker. I think one of d/p biggest offences was the pokedex, which was thankfully fixed in pt. I just don't understand how that pokedex got the okay to go in the game ya know? I found the music to once again be medicore and the graphics are some of my least favorite in a Pokemon game. That all being said I think dppt had a very distinct Pokemon feel to them. Something that I didn't feel in b/w at all. So overall my opinion on dppt is it's not bad, but it's not amazing, it's just alright.

hg/ss I still feel confused on. Nostalgia told me "THESE GAMES ARE GOING TO BE GREAT" but reality made me realize what was great when I was 8 years old may not be so great at 16 years old. Don't get me wrong, I do like the remake. It's just kind of a boring region imo. I find once you get passed Goldenrod the game loses any sense of direction until after defeating Pryce. My only other complaints were the horrible level gap between getting through victory road and the elite four (though it's a problem in a lot of games, it would have been nice to see this fixed in the remake) and the addition of Lyra. Yes I get it, "Kris was made for Crystal only!!!" but Lyra really sucked and I often played as the boy character because of how much she sucked. As for things I loved, I thought the follow me feature was awesome. Also the Pokeathlon was probably the most fun I've had with a side gimmick so far. I think hg/ss gets just a good

I guess together I feel like they're somewhere in the middle/on the top half.

Years
I grew up with DPPt so I rate it biastly
I would now after playing the third gen ROMs rate it second in story to 3rd gen, second in graphics to 5th gen, but I really liked most of the new evolutions introduced in 4th gen and the legendaries it contained. I also loved the region, the distortion realm and don't even get me started on how brilliant mystery dungeon 2 is but overall I would rate it second after gen 3 and before gen 5. I've never really played the other gens.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen yesterday
It is my favourite Generation, easily. Diamond, Pearl and Platinum are fantastic games, as were Heart Gold & Soul Silver. I loved the music, gameplay, graphics, style, and so much more.

I wish the Ruby & Sapphire remakes had been made in this generation.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
While I think all main Pokemon games are fun and I replay them multiple times, this generation does fall flat for me. Yeah, I loved Diamond and Pearl when they came out. And I still have my first Diamond file that I started the day it was released! And I replayed Pearl countless times as a teenager. But when I went back to playing my beloved gen III, that's when I truly realized how slow the games ran. And then after some other games in the franchise, namely the remaining gen IV games, I realized how awful Diamond and Pearl were in comparison. I overanalyzed a few more things and that's when gen IV became my least favorite, mainly for the first two games in its generation giving it a bad start when compared to other generations. Platinum wasn't really enough to save Sinnoh and while I love HGSS, that wasn't going to save the entire generation in my book, either.

There are some things I love about this generation, don't get me wrong and like I said, I don't hate it by any means, but out of all six generations, it just rank the lowest for me personally. :( But hey, we got Togekiss out of it. And that's pretty swell.

For what it's worth, this is my personal ranking: III > V > II > I > VI > IV

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 26, 2023
I really enjoy HGSS. Platinum, I don't like very much for reasons I can't really place. I judge the gen based on the new games and not the remakes, so Gen 4 is probably on the bottom of my list. I've never tried Gens 1 and 2, so I can't speak on those.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
For me Generation 4 is my favourite!

The Sinnoh region is beautiful, and interesting!
The Story that this Generation brought to us it's one of my favourites! It had like those ancient and mysterious parts of the story that kept me very enterteined!
I really like the new Pokémon that Generation 4 brought! Especially Lucario ^^
The music themes are one of my favourites too!
The places that you pass in your journey are very beautiful and mysterious, like the Distortion World (only in Pokémon Platinum)
And the characters of the story too! Our rival Barry, the Professor, Cynthia (for me one of the more mysterious characters from all Pokémon), the gym leaders, Cyrus and Mars (Team Galactic's Admin)
Seriously Team Galactic it's the best Villian Team ever! Cyrus wanted to create a world for him with the power of Dialga and Palkia! How evil is that!

These are the reasons that for me Sinnoh( Generation 4) is the best region for me ^^
Well for my top generations it would be:

Gen 4 > Gen 6 > Gen 3 > Gen 5 > Gen 1 > Gen 2

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Gen 4 is my absolute favorite and here's why.

My favorite regions are Sinnoh and Johto, and because Gen 4 incorporated both so beautifully, that's why it's my favorite. I also really liked the Pokewalker mechanic and the following Pokemon feature. I feel that these two features got me to be more active and walk more. From there, it built small habits (taking the stairs vs elevator, power walking, etc), and that really improved my lifestyle a lot.

On top of that, Lucario.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2017
Gen 4 is my favorite region, Diamond was a decent game but I was blown anyway by Platinum and Heart Gold, wheter it was Sinnoh or Johto I had so much fun going through the Region and both Regions feel like grand adventures and the extra Kanto content was nice. My ranking for all the generations from least favorite to favorite goes like this. Gen 5-Gen 3-Gen 1-Gen 6-Gen 2-Gen 4

Back