The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old April 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Dark-Umbreon
Beginning Trainer

Cool:
1. If typed, put a few screenshots or two on each page, i myself have done it a few times and all my readers loved them...

Uncool
1. stuff like this:
Bob: Hello Sally
Sally: Hello Bob

its BORING, i personally dont like it, it annoys me to no end, type like a dialouge... not like roleplaying, USE QUOTES!

well, anyone want to add anything?
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Breezy
Eee.

I dunno. Screenshots usually irk me. =3
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:00 PM
oni flygon
:)

Screenshots are optional. A good story doesn't require fancy work or anything, especially if you know you are skilled. And since there are only a few people here who actually appreciate well written work, appeasing the superficial readers isn't very accomplishing, nor is it satisfying to me.

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Dark-Umbreon
Beginning Trainer

They are optional, but i like to give my readers a sense of where they are im my story...
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Umbreon
They are optional, but i like to give my readers a sense of where they are im my story...
You should be telling the reader what's going on through words, not actual images. You are a writer, after all. And if what you're writing isn't clear enough to give the reader a hint at what's happening, then chances are you need to rework your style until the reader can at least conjure mental image of where the characters are.

That said, personally, I believe that images -- even headers, or banners that proclaim the story's logo -- are an indication that the writer is covering up for a lack of talent by attempting to distract the reader. But that's just me.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
oni flygon
:)

I do agree with Kazeto. Images will just distract your readers from the actual story. After all, your main goal is to entertain your audience by telling a story in the best ways as possible using the right word choices and structures.

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Hmm, the only thing with screen shots that I even remotely enjoy is when it's fanart, and well done, with a good coloring job. Sometimes, I'll make little sprite comics at the very end, but it won't have anything to do with the story-line beside's the characters. It'll just be a little funny thing at the end. But, I really only do that for other people's fanfictions that I adore, and that's only if there are the pre-mades sprites for it. Those are always pretty cool, and the authors usually like em'.

Otherwise, screenshot's/scene art bother me, because they interuppte the whole thing- and my train of thought.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links