• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
I don't see how the reputation effectively shows that a person does post good quality posts. A person with many friends (aka everyone on the first page if you order every member in descending of reputation points) will obviously have an easier time accumulating reputation points. People who would rather be outcasts or would rather not make friends would obviously find it harder. The system is biased to the more popular still no matter which angle I look at from. vBulletin's reputation system is clearly flawed. It makes me wonder why it was ever turned back on.

It's got nothing to do with showing that people have good quality posts. Everyone here on PC has the ability at this very moment to create a great quality post, yet many just don't. When someone comes across an amazing story, an extremely impressive work of graphics art, a detailed post in a fun discussion thread, or an epic hilarious thread close by a mod/admin, it's just like "ha, good job." It shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Nor, of course, should it be abused by saying 'zomgwebattlentradesoooomuch' repreprepreprep<3' or repping people for things like birthdays, or negatively repping just because they didn't like the way someone presented their opinion on a matter.

But the part about 'people who would rather be outcasts or rather not make friends'...O_o..um what? Why would one even be here if they weren't planning on sharing their thoughts, opinions, ideas, and personality with the vast plethora of members PC has to offer? That's the whole point of having the forum in the first place: Mingle! Discuss! Have fun!

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
Years
Well, to put my two cents in. I think it would just be easier if PC did disable rep all together. I don't see the spam stopping. And I don't see people getting over it anytime soon.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
So, If you posted something in a thread and someone doesn't like what you posted, and you get - rep from it with a reason that says something like "ew." could it be deleted? Because I think it's stupid to be - repped if I didn't even do anything wrong.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
It's not legit if you're repping someone just because you like them. Sure, I like a lot of people on PC. But I don't rep them when they haven't done something commendable. Maybe someone should make some questions to ask when thinking,

"Is this post reputable?"
  1. Does it contribute to ANYTHING?
  2. What has this post done to help me/someone else/PC?
  3. What's been said in this post that's different from every other post?
  4. Did I just go to this person's profile and find the last post they made?
  5. Am I doing this just to get Reputation back?

^^ EVERYONE should try thinking these before rep. If you can't answer any of these, you're not using rep the way it's supposed to be.
Well if that's what is necessarily required to rep someone, then why don't you add it to the FAQ?

Originally Posted by euphoricFUTURE
It'll be a very rare circumstance where repping someone in The count to infinity thread is justified, unlike you and the other abusers seem to think. =/
Seeing as its partially directed to me, I can't deny the fact that we did in fact abuse the reputation system.

~

Wow, I never thought you'd go as far as take away my supporter status. Money has been sent to this place and you can't deny that fact. You have every reason to take away my rep powers, I'll give you that. This forum has received money and I have gotten something in return. Here's how the supporter system goes: I give you something, and I get something back. Now, I'd like that supporter bar back. You've taken away mine and a couple others' rep powers; that settles it for that issue. Whether I've donated or not is unrelated.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Closer already has 6 bars! This really is alarming.

Although I've never fallen victim to a SPAM rep case, except for maybe 1 who didn't like Chuck Norris or my mentions of him and another who probably thinks I'm annoying... strange.

I also have to agree with a post limit for repping, like SPPF is planning to before they consider to re-open it up... or I think it was other vB forum. Don't remember. The limit would reduce amount of SPAM rep from immature people as well as avoid those ugly but effectless neutral reps. And maybe a high one to increase chances of trust.

Of course, I wasn't here 2004/5 so I don't know the exact master reason for the shutdown of the system.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
What am I arguing against exactly? I wasn't going against it in an aggressive manner, I was pointing out a possible mistake. Are you saying that's illegal?

Try apologizing for coming across that way, seeing as you didn't mean to.
With that last bit on the end it sounds as if you are challenging the staff's judgement, coming across as agressive.

AuraAshley said:
All im gonna say about this is this, i think n00bs << like me XD<< shouldnt have the right to rep until they get to a certain amount of posts.

Well there is already a system that has the same effect already in place, you can only effect someone's reputation if you had enough reputation yourself.
That should stop any 'noobs', seeing as they can't effect each others rep points. They'd have to get at least some legitimate reputation first.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
I think it's funny that Chibi just managed to jump something like three spots in a matter of minutes, don't you? I've noticed staff abusing rep and asking for it from members more than I have regular members.

If you look at the first page, most of it is staff on there. Go figure.

Cacttus

Sigh
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2016
So it's basically friends abusing the system. I'm not saying I didn't do it since I have.

Well, to put my two cents in. I think it would just be easier if PC did disable rep all together. I don't see the spam stopping. And I don't see people getting over it anytime soon.

This is a post I would rep 'cause I agree.

Aurapostle - That girl in your sig is scary.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
Well if that's what is necessarily required to rep someone, then why don't you add it to the FAQ?

Seeing as its partially directed to me, I can't deny the fact that we did in fact abuse the reputation system.

~

Wow, I never thought you'd go as far as take away my supporter status. Money has been sent to this place and you can't deny that fact. You have every reason to take away my rep powers, I'll give you that. This forum has received money and I have gotten something in return. Here's how the supporter system goes: I give you something, and I get something back. Now, I'd like that supporter bar back. You've taken away mine and a couple others' rep powers; that settles it for that issue. Whether I've donated or not is unrelated.

Um, you're not telling us what to do. You'll have it back when you calm down and we're certain you won't pull anymore BS like the heads up we got.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I like to think I give rep fairly. Mind you, I've done more in the past month than I have in the past six months before it(during which I did it just 3 times), but that is because I just started paying attention to it. I guess I'm not the only one, heh.

Regardless, I still only give it for good posts(ie. things that make me lol, threads that I think were good ideas, and ones that make the poster seem more respectable to me). I also don't seem to leave comments on them as much, but I think I'll try to do that more often, heh. I was thinking about that even before this thread popped up, though. ^^

I got the "I'll rep you if you rep me" line the other day, but I declined, as I want to earn it honourably. Though I assume others who would say yes have been abusing the system, ruining it for all of us.

I wonder, is it possible to prevent someone from using the rep system, by making the grey bar the only option available to them? I assume not, as this would probably have already been done in some cases, heh.

Zet

Years
I think it's funny that Chibi just managed to jump something like three spots in a matter of minutes, don't you? I've noticed staff abusing rep and asking for it from members more than I have regular members.

people found her to have made a rep worthy post, be it posting what you should rep and what you shouldn't or another post

From your point of view, but what about mine? I could see a lot of epic posts being made. What about that guy over there? He may say he doesn't see a lot, but it's often.
seeing it from your point of view I kinda see a way to try and exploit the rep system :x

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024

Ever stop to think that the staff are usually the ones to solve problems?
They're here to help, and most people recognize it when they do and so give reputation.

Melody

Banned
Years
Personally, I see nothing wrong with giving someone positive rep if I like what they're saying in the post. 90% of the reputation I give is because I absolutely agree with the point of view expressed in the post, as well as finding the post to be well worded and an example of a good post. I see no problem with an occasional positive rep for things like a birthday or a holiday either. I really think there are a lot of ways rep can be earned.

I'm shocked that certain groups of people would abuse it just to have huge rep bars. For someone to join a rep ring just to gain reputation points without actually earning the rep, is just insulting to people like me, who actually put thought behind the rep we give.

Sublime

Blimey!
Years
I think with all this fuss and abuse we should just ditch the system completely. The abuse obviously isn't going to stop unless all the abusers are pruned. Even then, more will come. The rep system being disabled is the easiest solution to this problem and would serve as a good punishment for those who have abused.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Hold on. Don't jump to conclusions, now.

Just because I see a somewhat of a lot of posts that are rep worthy, mean that it's abusing? It's not stated on the FAQ, so it's legal. I don't get the point of what the staff are trying to argue here. You can lay out stuff through e-words, but it has to be on e-paper to be official, if you know what I mean.

It wouldn't be abusing in it's definition if it isn't added. That's the point I'm trying to get at.

Obviously if you got your rep disabled, you have been abusing it. So don't try to say that you haven't been doing that or argue against others about it.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
They're here to help, and most people recognize it when they do and so give reputation.

Josephine keeps beating me to the punch...^--that. Staff are repped by members and fellow staff across the land for the great decisions and great posts they make. No questions asked. They're also obviously repped by n00bskillets who just want their attention. The staff will respond with rep for quality posts to members who deserve it, not the n00bs who basically are asking 'can I be a mod?' >_>

Personally, I see nothing wrong with giving someone positive rep if I like what they're saying in the post. 90% of the reputation I give is because I absolutely agree with the point of view expressed in the post, as well as finding the post to be well worded and an example of a good post. I see no problem with an occasional positive rep for things like a birthday or a holiday either. I really think there are a lot of ways rep can be earned.

I'm shocked that certain groups of people would abuse it just to have huge rep bars. For someone to join a rep ring just to gain reputation points without actually earning the rep, is just insulting to people like me, who actually put thought behind the rep we give.

That's also why I rep; good quality posts. Going as far as birthdays, I still say each member is entitled to a bday thread which HOPEFULLY their friends would be kind enough to create for them, rather than getting rep for that.

I'd rather the system didn't be abolished, just because it just means one less fun thing to look forward to on PC. A lot of ideas go across the board of the staff, yet few get passed, so when something new comes along it's sickening that people would ruin it for everyone.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years

Yes, I did think about that... but didn't I state that I've seen staff asking for rep on countless occasions?

And how does that explain Chibi-chan moving three spots up in a matter of minutes? She couldn't of possibly helped that many people in a short amount of time. And she was posting in here.

Cacttus

Sigh
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2016
Obviously if you got your rep disabled, you have been abusing it. So don't try to say that you haven't been doing that or argue against others about it.

Somehow I thought you could disable it yourself.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
Years
Yes, I did think about that... but didn't I state that I've seen staff asking for rep on countless occasions?

And how does that explain Chibi-chan moving three spots up in a matter of minutes? She couldn't of possibly helped that many people in a short amount of time. And she was posting in here.

Heh, did you even read my last post? A lot of it was for that. Something people like you should read.
If you want to personally attack me, take it somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back