• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First rule of Fight Club: Don't talk about Fight Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I know people say that diet soda is bad for you but tbh it's hard for me to believe until I see a real study that was performed the way a study should be performed, which is really near impossible. And then I see things like "how do you gain weight from diet soda? Find out at 11!" and it's always something dumb like "diet soda makes you want to each refined sugars more!". I don't eat refined sugars, so diet soda doesn't make me gain weight.

I think doctors hate diet soda but they don't have any really good studies backing them up so they just think of everything possible to make people not drink it. :/

Honest

Hi!
Years
But wasn't there a study on mice? And it gave them cancer, I THINK. I know there was a whole court case and all, for sure. So the creator of aspartame literally bought his way into the market.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
So you're basing your opinion on aspartame on a study you can barely even remember?

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame

Many studies have looked for health effects in lab animals fed aspartame, often in doses higher than 4,000 mg/kg per day over their lifetimes. These studies have not found any health problems that are consistently linked with aspartame.

Two studies published by a group of Italian researchers suggested that very high doses of aspartame might increase the risk of some blood-related cancers (leukemias and lymphomas) in rats. However, both the FDA and the EFSA have called these results into question, citing a lack of some important data in the published studies and other concerns.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I meant the creator of aspartame buying his way into the market, lol. I know that most people aren't going to look into it beyond what the news and stuff says about diet soda ("IT'S BAD DON'T DRINK IT"), it's just a pet peeve of mine when people start talking about how unhealthy it is. >_o

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well sugar is bad for you, and in diet sodas they put chemical sweeteners which are worse for your health than sugar, right.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Nope, that's the point I'm making. Everyone thinks the artificial sweetener is bad for you but no studies actually show that, lol. It's not really the fault of people though because that's the image that's thrust in their face for some reason by news programs and such. I guess they get higher ratings by scaring people,haha.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well, maybe, but I guess it's a generally common thing that artificial things usually aren't better than natural things, food wise and stuff. I don't know whether there are studies or not but I can understand if there aren't really because it seems logical because it is the case with most other things.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
There are hundreds of studies on the sweetener actually, none saying that there are significant health risks to having aspartame as opposed to sugar. It's not that the studies don't exist, it's that they exist and all signs point to nothing wrong with it.

In science you can't just follow "common sense" because often common sense isn't true, haha.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Oh didn't know that, well if it's been proven to not be worse than regular soda then that's solved I guess lol. That doesn't make it healthy though obviously, soda is still really bad XD We have some organic sodas here though I guess they're a bit better.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I know people say that diet soda is bad for you but tbh it's hard for me to believe until I see a real study that was performed the way a study should be performed, which is really near impossible. And then I see things like "how do you gain weight from diet soda? Find out at 11!" and it's always something dumb like "diet soda makes you want to each refined sugars more!". I don't eat refined sugars, so diet soda doesn't make me gain weight.

I think doctors hate diet soda but they don't have any really good studies backing them up so they just think of everything possible to make people not drink it. :/

I used to drink soda every day (diet one mostly but sometimes regular) and cut it out cold turkey and completely. I had soonafter lost 20 lbs and my face was less red and less prone to breakouts.

:/ Dunno about doctor stuff but.. speaking from personal experience the truth is I felt much better after..

I think if you're gonna drink soda, you should also drink the equivalent of water too. Caffeine is a diuretic after all.

That being said, I do have pop occassionally. Today I had a jones soda.. which is sweetened with organic cane sugar. But I do have coke or sprite once in a while too.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah, sodas are pretty full of chemicals in general. I started drinking cans when they went on sale about a week ago and that's really cut down my drinking, since I'm drinking out of small cans instead of a huge cup so I noticed when I drink more haha.

Plus I'm addicted to caffeine and I don't like coffee and tea so >_o

Edit: Kura one experience does not a study make :P I just really...can't stand how boring water is and I don't want to load it with sugar just to make it something I'll want to drink more than a glass of a day. XD; Considering I've been like this for my entire life and haven't yet dropped dead from dehydration I figure I'm doing fine, haha.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I used to drink a lot of soda. I am trying to cut it out and since I have done that I have lost a lot of weight, although I changed my diet aswell, which also impacted.

Soda for me made me very bad at sleeping. I mean I'm pretty bad now I don't sleep till around 6/7am anyway, I definitely got addicted to the caffeine and was noticeable when I stopped drinking so much of it.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
They say one of the first things you should do when you try and lose weight is to cut out all soda, because it just has heaps of sugar and it doesn't really fill you up anymore than water does. I really wish all the food and drink companies would just reduce the amount of sugar they use in everything, because a lot of the time, it isn't needed.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Some things shock me that they use sugar. My mom makes this fairly healthy "3 bean salad" that's like green beans and chick peas and some other bean in oils and such, but the original recipe calls for a lot of sugar. It really doesn't make sense and it tastes fine without it, hahah.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
That's the reason why I like to cook my own food, it's like when my dad used to make me vegetables, he'd always cook them in oil in the frypan. I just put down some baking paper before I cook them, they taste cleaner, they're healthier, and I don't even need to wash up afterwards.

Also the amount of sugar my sister has on her cereal...

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
All I really drink anymore is beer, lots of water, and coffee. I'll have the occasional Pepsi... or Dr. Pepper, but it has to be the stuff with cane sugar. I don't know if I can tell a difference or not, but it makes me feel better about it. Or something.

I actually don't like sweet things all that much, which is weird I guess. I guess that's why I've gained such a liking of beer.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I thought that common sense -is- common sense because everyone knows that it's true lol.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I only drink water and tea, no sugar

I haven't soft drinks for so long. I remember once I had to drink it at a party and I actually hated the taste. Which I guess is a good thing, because now I'm never tempted to drink anything but water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back