• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(Mature) DOOM

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019

Welcome to the DOOM Ultimate Discussion Thread!​

After 20 something years since it came to be, 13 years since the last official entry, and with the release of DOOM aka Doom 4, it gives me great pleasure to give all of the fans of the beloved franchise a place for all of us to discuss everything and anything about Doom, its history, your history with Doom, its impact in gaming according to your own perspective, and of course the new Doom that just came out at May 13, 2016.

YB2sWol.png

For those who do not know about Doom, well let me give you a brief summary of what it is all about. Doom is a series of first person shooter games developed by id Software that follows the exploits of a lone and unnamed space marine who fights through hordes of undead, former humans, and demons in order to survive. As John D. Carmack would say its simply "Shooting and Killing Demons in Mars"

Since its release in 1993, Doom was credited for pioneering the first person shooting (FPS) genre with features such as 3D graphics, 3D Spatiality, multiplayer via local area network or ICP/IP, as well as support for user created content with the "WAD" format, which enables the game series to survive, thrive, and be involved in the gaming community ever since its time. It is a cultural icon, a masterpiece. And simply put. A grand godfather to the genre.

Since this is a DOOM Megathread. This very topic is dedicated to all of the fans who have been with Doom since its time, who is still with Doom ever since, and even those who are unaware of the series or have never heard of it until now. Every person is welcome to express their love, their devotion, their skeptism, and even their morbid curiosity about Doom and the franchise as a whole.

So with the upcoming DOOM game on its way, what are your hopes and hypes for the game? How do you feel about this new DOOM game coming in a few days time? How are you preparing for the new game's release? Have you all re-embraced what it feels like to fight, shoot, and kill those demons from Mars after all these years?

For those who are curious on wanting to play the classic Doom games again and on their respective modern computers, you may be wondering, how are you able to play Doom and its numerous mods again? Pretty simple. Through the use of Source ports such as ZDoom, Zandronium, and GZDoom.

As always, all forum rules apply. No flaming since only Mars' Demons deserve to taste the flames!

Credits:
dedenne1 for the BB Code format from his FE Fates thread.
All images of the Doom games and Sgt_Mark_IV's Brutal Doom belong to their respective owners
Past users who have made Doom related threads that got out of nowhere. Time for me to save you
Me for having the Balls of Steel to make this topic for all of us Doom fans to enjoy!

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I've not heard good things from the beta, and thus have not played it myself. Sounded like peoples opinion was that it got stuck somewhere between Call of Duty and Borderlands, and not so much well... Doom.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
The Single player has a lot of a better showing that the Lulz Multiplayer based from these recently released footage that I've been looking at. Ehem Revenant Rune so busted. Id plz?

Also, the lack of classic deathmatch. Like really? No classic FFA? Also, Loadouts and Hack Modules are fine, but weapon limits? ID PLZ!

OOOH NPC DIALOGUE. IN MAH DOOM CAMPAIGN. BETHESDA PLZ? - said every purist evar blaming the publisher for the corpor8 meddling. Actually these little things add a lot of nice touch. Do remember kiddies, this is a new game engine and new tech the boys are playing around. ITS OKAY TO HAVE THEM. Heck Quake 2 had NPC dialogue.

I won't be posting the recently released "Hell" levels footage since those are potential spoilers.

I'll reserve my more constructive criticism later.

Positive notes:
+ ENEMY VARIANTS. YES!? Sort off.. At least there's different types of Zombiemen to kill other than your stock "Guy with Rifle", "Guy with Shotgun", and "Guy with Chaingun". and those former humans in worker clothes.. breaking their necks looked fun. I'm hoping that their are much more enemy variants this time around. It can get pretty boring fighting the same types over and over again, and with newer tech, there should be no excuse. Or maybe I'm just an arsehat whose played WAY TOO MANY Doom mods to even give an objective opinion about Enemy Variants ;))))

Spoiler:

+ LOOK AT THOSE DIFFERENT THINGS TO DO! WE ARENT JUST BLUE-RED-YELLOW KEY HUNTING NOW BOYS!!! => Different Objectives to do. Before any of the purists can raid in, do remember that Quake 2 pushed through with the different objectives thing aside from key hunting. Heck, many Doom mods/WADS even try to go as far as going away from the olde formula. At least these new Id software boys took their notes. (ehem Brutal Doom Hell on Earth Starter Pack)

WHY ID WHY!?
- WAYPOINT SYSTEM IN MAH DOOM GAME! COME ON!!!! - Said purists... (actually this is where i would take side on them. WAYPOINTS IN A CORRIDOR ESQUE EXPLORATION FPS.. NOT COOL!)

Actually, I'll fire a shot. These encounters.. I'm hoping that these are set in the base difficulty "Hurt Me Plenty" equivalent. I'm having positive hopes that id Software knows what the original Doom's Ultraviolence (UV) difficulty was like. More monsters. More Murder. MORE D**KS to shoot off.

As for the spirit of the thread (hopefully), while I still await whether Doom 4 will be any good or not, I'm playing some Brutal Doom: Project Brutality and several other Brutal Doom mods (because a mod of a mod is always a great thing) to pass the time. Obviously the whole SNAPMAP system is nowhere the depth of customization that the original Doom engine has because obviously, the Doom Engine's source code was released years ago, in 1997 to be exact.

Also, SGT_Mark_IV, Brutal Doom's creator already lost hope with Doom 4 being anything to his arrogant arse. So he goes on and develops Brutal Doom 64!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I have a question.

Does anyone here played DOOM as there first game?

Sadly mine, it was the 5th. ;-;

If you're talking about classic Doom, as in Doom 1, then it was my first PC game, and to be fair, its the first game i truly enjoyed. The moment i played it on a cousin's-cousin's computer, it felt like a different world to me. We always had this cousin who was pretty far ahead when it came to PC. At that time, he already had a PC full of those games, with Doom 1 and 2, in glorious PC-DOS form, as part of his library. Obviously as a young kid back then, I was actually blown away with the graphic level of violence, gore, and satanic imagery that i never saw in a NES or a SNES. Heck, it didn't help that i had unfortunate deaths against those imps when i was clawed at close range, and those images of them imps got stuck to me, since i was so bad at controlling the game back then.. remember kiddies, Mouse + Keyboard controls didn't exist that time.

Of course, its a different story now -> I see an imp. I BLOW THOSE MOTHER EFFERS HEADS OFF!!! Those imps sorta scarred me as a kid back in the day. I'm glad that I'm shooting their penises off on a daily basis in whatever means there is (playing Regular Doom, Brutal Doom, Russian Overkill, etc etc)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I personally really enjoyed the multiplayer. I get that it's not like classic Doom, but really this new game is itself a fusion of old and new game design so that shouldn't be any surprise! People complain that it's like Halo, but Halo came in at that transitional period between Quake and Call of Duty, and itself represents something in the middle. It should be no surprise that Doom's multiplayer might resemble it. And Halo's multiplayer is fun so why is this a bad thing? It still does things that Halo doesn't like Demon transformation, which is extremely fun btw. Honestly my biggest complaint so far with both the MP and SP has nothing to do with gameplay (though I am not a huge fan of the loadout system) but rather to do with music. Music is such a key element to classic Doom. Every level has a track. But when I was playing the Beta, it was silent except when a rocket exploded or a Revenant screamed in your face. This was rather off putting for me as the music is what pumps you up and gets you into that Demon slaying rhythm. Seeing the single player similarly quiet really bothers me. It all seemed a lot better when they had music added into their initial gameplay videos, and now that great techno-metal music is all missing. WHAT THE LITERAL HELL!?

Yukari

I personally really enjoyed the multiplayer. I get that it's not like classic Doom, but really this new game is itself a fusion of old and new game design so that shouldn't be any surprise! People complain that it's like Halo, but Halo came in at that transitional period between Quake and Call of Duty, and itself represents something in the middle. It should be no surprise that Doom's multiplayer might resemble it. And Halo's multiplayer is fun so why is this a bad thing?

Well a lot of people wanted the game to feel more like the original Doom games, and seeing as the new Doom is a lot more like Halo bothers fans because, well, it feels like Halo and not Doom, whether or not it's fun. Basically when the majority of fans play a Doom game they want the game to feel like doom and not Halo, or Call of Duty, or anything other than Doom. Ironic how it ended up like that since they originally shut Doom 4 down because "It didn't feel like Doom."

Of course I don't really think ID was trying to please fans of the original, but maximize sales by making the new Doom feel like something newer gamers would be familiar with since a lot of original fans had been anticipating the game for a long time and would likely buy it either way. While that's really just speculation, I do feel pretty confident about it considering how often it happens. Anymore, developers try to maximize sales by looking at popular games and imitating them, relying on focus testing, and littering their games with micro transactions. While, I'm not saying that is what happened here, it definitely could be. It wouldn't be the first time either.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Honestly, the whole problem with DOOM is not the game, but the community. Do remember that Doom is a cultural icon, a legend. For a game with such a long history and a community of people who have been with the game and franchise since the days of John Romero and John Carmack, its really expected that the old generation of Doomers and the more open minded newer generation of gamers will have a clash of ideals. Purists vs the Open minded. Its been an issue with the game but its to be expected when you have a game with such a long storied History and a long storied community of modders as well.

HECK BRUTAL DOOM and all of its expansions (Project Brutality), possibly the greatest Mod ever, is often under fire against Doom's Purist generation. But that's what you get anyway with Purists or Traditionalist. These are the kinds of people who are stuck with their Intel Quad -1 Core PCs and hate mouse control. These fools can't be helped, and if the new DOOM can't help them then lets not give a damn to them. (oh and btw, I RECOMMEND EVERYONE TO PLAY BRUTAL DOOM PROJECT BRUTALITY, RIGHT NOW LADS! Its the best that I can offer before the new game arrives)

Those who are worrying that DOOM is missing the music.. Oh don't worry. The recently released Single Player campaign footage has the music, and with Mick Gordon, some new guy, doing the stuff, its pretty good. He makes Bobby Prince Jr proud.

And yes, these footages are making me all happy in the pants. If that sounds way too dirty, oh don't worry. I rather be happy in the pants than be anything really.

and lets compare DOOM vs Brutal Doom and see what ya'll prefer

Honestly though, once DOOM 4 does come out, I'll still be playing more Brutal Doom and Project Brutality since DOOM 4 won't have the level of customization yet. Obviously. and maps based on Doom 4 might be developed by dedicated map creators just to have fun with both games. Besides, the best thing about Brutal Doom is that unlike commercial games, these games obviously can't be corporate meddled ;)

The only thing I want from this game is for it to be EVEN BLOODIER AND GORIER. Ok, I'll be honest. As much as I've seen so much of teh gameplay, I feel that its still lacking the Blood and Graphic Violence that it promises to deliver. I've seen the original teaser and it was fine. Then looking at it now, and even that original teaser, then comparing that to the level of Blood and Gore that Brutal Doom has... PLEASE ID SOFTWARE. MAKE THE GAME EVEN MORE VISERCAL AND GORY. PLEASE. Its lacking that over-the-top and outrageous blood showers and organ parties that made Brutal Doom so entertaining. Don't even try giving a damn to what the public, the critics, the activists, and even the damn parents would say. THIS IS DOOM. THIS MUST BE THE MOST GRAPHICALLY VIOLENT GAME FOR THIS YEAR. AND I NEED MORE BLOOD, MORE GORE, MORE GRAPHIC PORTRAYALS OF MURDER AND SUPERMURDER, FOR MY MURDERCOCKTAIL!

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Thread bumping my own discussion thread? Well, hopefully.

On the subject of DOOM, Doom's history, and whatever, this is what i get to see.

Long video. But its quite insightful. Also, its those campaign videos put into a single long one.

I knew those campaign videos were being played on the base difficulty, which is "HURT ME PLENTY". So for those who want to play the game with more d**ks to shoot off, definitely pump it up to Ultraviolence. Also, the compass can be turned off which is something that people should do if they want that classic Doom feel.

And to top this bumper off:

:))))))))

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen May 4, 2016
I am waiting for its release so that I can get my hands on it on 13th may. Since I Doom kaufen from online website (pre-ordered)......its going to be delivered on next day of its release. Its will pretty awesome experience playing Doom. Alien zombies versus you!!!!!!!!Shoot it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Alright b*tches and murdergoons, its time i do my best to make sure that this thread isn't just about the upcoming DOOM game, which by the way is just a week from now, we also want to discuss about one of the most awesome things about Doom, the mods = aka Custom Wads, Custom levels, custom maps, and those mods.

You see, Doom was a game that was not just highly praised for being a groundbreaking game at the time. it was also further expanded by people who made their own creative content for said game. WADS = aka "Where's All The Data" is the thing we want to thank for.

Simply put, custom content aka Custom wads is the reason why I love Doom so much. My love for Doom has been forever rekindled because of it. So Doomgals and Doomguys, we can discuss about Doom wads and other Doom mods that you enjoy. No other PC game that exists RIGHT NOW has the level of extreme customization and creativity that Doom and the Doom mods and custom wads have. That's the whole reason why Doom continues to exist for those who are living under a rock, just some friendly fire information to throw at you.

If you have no idea on how to play these "custom wads" or Doom mods, then feel free to message me and I can give you some hot smexy 1-on-1 conversations on how you do all of this crud ;)

Also, Brutal Doom is the doom mod that got me playing Doom wads all over again. I redownloaded ZDoom and GZDoom just for it and ever since, its been a central part of my day to day activities.

So... in the spirit of Doom, its time for me to share some random screenshots of the Custom wads that I've been playing in preparation for Doom 4:

l6CAS9j.png

Brutal Doom + Knee Deep in Z Doom

rM1qxvt.png

Russian Overkill + Ketchup Gore mod

Yud40oW.jpg

RWdF3ml.jpg

Brutal Doom: Project Brutality + The Hell on Earth Starter Pack

(BTW PLAY THESE MODS RIGHT NOW!)

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I think this video makes a lot of good points regarding the Doom beta's large amount of negativity that I think is worth hearing out. It even goes into why Doom is not as comparable to Halo and definitely not CoD as everyone says it is.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I actually listened to that video the minute it aired. While I won't be saying much anyway, I'll just assume that people already have accepted the game after seeing what's in store for the Single Player campaign. Also, purists can still go suck themselves a new painis. If you don't want Doom 4, then stick to your DOSBOX. Want to cringe guys? Go do some spying on a Doom site like Doomworld or ZDoom Forums or such and you'll cringe at the many non-believers of the upcoming game.

Anyway, I don't want to circlejerk around the whole "Doom 4 is not going to be as good" kind of thing because I've already accepted that its not going to be as over the top, insane, and as orgasmic as that of Brutal Doom and Project Brutality. That's already a given folks (which is why i'd let you all play those delicious mods first). A mod to Doom is not a full on commercial game, but still. New Tech + new things right? But then again... we can't be all choosers in a world of begging for more BUSMs (Blood, Ultraviolence, Supermurder) especially since corporate or business meddling will always be a concern, even in something as Manly and as Sexually Tyrannosaurical as Doom.

I'll still be getting the game, play it on Ultraviolence because Id software guys weren't being manly enough on their livestream, and tell them that "YO ID SOFTWARE! I CAN MAKE YOUR GAME 200X BETTER! SO BETTER THAT You'll actually say that you were inspired by this Doom mod called ****************"

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Doom preloading started last night. It's about a 40 gig download so I recommend starting right away if you want to play it the second it unlocks!

Oh, and did anyone else notice the possible Arachnotron legs in the launch trailer? HYPE!

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019

at 0:51, IS THAT AN ARCHVILE!? OH GOD! OMG THIS LAUNCH TRAILER THUMBNAIL. SUBLIMINALY MESSAGING THE GOOD OLE DOOM BOXART.

OKAY MURDERCHICKS AND MURDERGOONS! ONE MORE DAY! AND YES, ONE MORE FRAGGING DAY TILL WE FINALLY GET WHAT WE HAVE WAITED FOR ALL THIS TIME. THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS MORE THAN LIFE (except for Brutal Doom, Brutal Doom is FIVE-EVER). ARE YOU READY TO RIP AND TEAR? RIP AND TEAR THOSE GUTS? ITS ALMOST TIME! ITS HUGE! THAT MEANS THERE'S GOING TO BE HUGE GUTS!

And, with a very positive feeling.. I can sense that we are going to get unique or map specific bosses around. As we all should remember, Doom (not counting Doom 3) never really had any real bosses to start out with. Archviiles, Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds are basically just mooks with much larger health, and The Icon of Sin isn't even an actual monster (in terms of Doom engine's terminology). I'm really hoping we do that some of unique boss creatures to slay because i'm so hyped for some circle strafing boss killing action.

QUESTION OF THE DAY (and pls reply, and for a bonus, REPLY IN ALL CAPS)
- THE MINUTE YOU FINALLY GET THE GAME, WHATCHU GUNNA DO WHEN THE DOOMGUY TELLS YOU TO START?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I just assumed that purple female looking demon was something new, but I guess it could be an Archvile. Seems like quite a change of design if it is. Also, did you just quote the Doom comic?

I AM GONNA SNAPMAP SO HARD, MY BRAIN IS FILLED WITH GAME DESIGN CONCEPTS THAT WILL ROCK MARS TO ITS VERY CORE and this doesn't sound anywhere cool enough to be in all caps.

EDIT: So I was checking out the alternate box art for Doom, and saw this little number:
doom_black.0.jpg

Now A) this is badass, and B) That demon skull design doesn't look like any demon we've seen thus far. However, it does look like this guy
Spoiler:

If the Icon of Sin is in Doom, and in its full bodied giant glory, I will be so fucking happy!

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
OKAY CHICKS AND DUDES! THE GAME IS OUT! (just came yesterday)

For those who bought the game, how is everything so far? I still haven't gotten my copy which I should be doing later so that I'm not being a pleb.

My first impressions so far based from footage:

- Enemies deal a lot of damage. Like TONS of left unchecked and especially at Ultraviolence difficulty
- HOLY MOLY THE ENEMIES HAVE AI! LIKE WOW! COOOOOOOOLLLLLLL! Fighting the first IMP ALONE makes you feel like you're fighting a demon already! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

- Gameplay feels like this: Both Player and Enemy takes advantage of the space between them in the encounters. Some enemies, ESPECIALLY THOSE IMPS, will be taking advantage of whatever space they have to move around while you have to move around as well to make sure that you do not get shanked by that imp or that other enemy.

- I'll emphasize this again: AVOID PROJECTILES UP THE ARSE! This is the way Doom was since the beginning of time, and the game perfectly captures it in this game. I mentioned before that enemies deal a lot of damage, oh yeah, especially those projectiles. I can't imagine the sorry player who got far enough to be smacked by a Baron of Hell's fireball :)))))

EDIT: Hell Knights in D4 are pure melee brawlers as far as i can. BRB getting the game as soon as i can.

TO CELEBRATE THE RELEASE OF THE GAME:

MAH QUESTION OF THE DAY!!!

*How do you feel about the Doomguy in this iteration of the game being given a sort of backstory - an ancient warrior called the "Doomslayer" that was either banished to hell or chose to stay there in which he was captured by hell's forces and sealed in a tomb, he is later retrived by the UAC where he is "held captive" and studied, until hell invades the base, and he escapes and arms himself with a pistol, and his Praetor Suit.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I think that Doom Marine's status as a sort of demigod as it were goes a long way toward justifying why he can carry 8 or 9 weapons and the MP Marines can only hold 2. He's uber strong! I think it was a good step toward world building the game up. All the lore they've included is likely to allow them to franchise the series more effectively. Maybe we'll get some comics down the line, and even some sequels. God I hope they do a sort-of-remake of Hell On Earth. That would be awesome.

On the aside, I am working on a SnapMap level right now~ and it is loads of fun! I was worried that it was gonna be really stale having a limited selection of areas you can see, but there's actually quite a lot and how you orient things can make a world of difference. Some of the SnapMaps that shipped with launch certainly show off the functionality. The AI Conductor is a tad bit buggy though. I've seen plenty of Former Humans halfway in the wall.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I gotta hand it to the game, I do not have that sinking feeling of disappointment I had while playing the last Bethesda release (yet.)

The campaign is pretty violent so far (just finished Argent Facility) and while SnapMap isn't the best level editor I have used it is still fun to mess around with. There's also some decent maps already on the boards to play.

Not too interested in the multiplayer though. I'll try it tomorrow since I'm not working but, sorry doom, I already have my mind set on Tower Unite's Slaughterday Night Live, as Gmod Tower's PVP is my favorite arena shooter so far.

Back