• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Question] Future engine to Run Pokemon Essentials without having to pay for RPG Maker XP.

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
My computer got a virus early this year, so I had to completely reformat it, and I can't afford RPG Maker XP, by both money and virus definitions. Could there, in the near future, be an engine that can run and edit RMXP projects without having to pay for RPG Maker XP?

Mellan

Pokémon Chion Developer
Years
I don't think so, at least it would not be a legal program. However I saw RPGMaker many times discounted, so the best choice would be to wait for the next discount.

Last edited:

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
My computer got a virus early this year, so I had to completely reformat it, and I can't afford RPG Maker XP, by both money and virus definitions. Could there, in the near future, be an engine that can run and edit RMXP projects without having to pay for RPG Maker XP?

have fun finding a cracked version...

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Nope; RMXP projects consist of proprietary file types and it'd be more trouble than it's worth to write a reader when one already exists. I personally recommend considering Windows Defender or the like(Windows Defender has the virtue of being free and a legitimate virus/spyware scanner) and being vigilant for when RMXP goes on sale. Or better yet, go mow someone's lawn, since it's only $15-25 depending on if it's on sale.

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Then it is impossible to create Pokemon Games without getting a virus.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2019
Then it is impossible to create Pokemon Games without getting a virus.

You either;

Did not get it from the correct places: Steam, or Enterbrains source.
or, You've gotten a virus from other things, and feel the need to blame Rpg Maker XP

XP has been out since July 22, 2004 (11 years today), if it really had a virus attached to it, I highly doubt people would be using it 11 years later, for the mere task of making Pokémon Fan Games, and other things.

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Then I will demand my parental units to help me pay for RPG Maker XP from Enterbrain's website, so that I canj finally make even the most simplistic Pokemon Game in the World.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
And you just reformated your Computer so if it somehow gives you a virus, just reformat again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Well, to answer your question in legality form; yes it's possible to make one. Though, the effort needed is simply not worth it. You'll need to create conversion software that can convert from and to RPG Maker's files.

Though, one could say that the effort is trivial since most the file types are built with Ruby's built in Marshal module. But, there are still a lot of classes that are missing from the standard Ruby Library in order to make a proper conversion, which this is the real pain. (Excluding the whole part of making a new game engine in specific.

Basically, what TBM_Christopher said.

I suppose you could make an entirely new engine, but as noted with my own attempts plus the attempts of others, it's too much work and too little gain.

Back