• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokémon Pure Gold

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
But doesn't R/S/E have more tileset space?

According to AdvanceMap, R/S/E tilesets have space for 512 tiles, while FR/LG only has space for 384 tiles. How are you running out of tile space, if you're using FR/LG tiles, meaning you should have at least 100+ free tile space?

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years
countryemo said:
This hack looks awesome, cant wait to try it, awesome fakemon
Fakemon? Look carefully, there's no single fakemon here.

AztecFire said:
But doesn't R/S/E have more tileset space?

According to AdvanceMap, R/S/E tilesets have space for 512 tiles, while FR/LG only has space for 384 tiles. How are you running out of tile space, if you're using FR/LG tiles, meaning you should have at least 100+ free tile space?
Fire Red uses 640 and R/S/E 512 in the major tileset. The tileset it self is small, don't believe me? Checkout unLZ in 1640 for Ruby and 1990 for Fire Red. So, Fire Red has more and Ruby less.

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
lol then I assume the answer to my question was no.

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Yeah... I missed and overlooked the question XD Sorry.

Edit: A update screen.
28chd34.png

Currently looks exactly like Emerald's :) The width of the box is exactly same as Fire Red's and Emerald's but only the text position is different. I'd like to thank interdpth for motivation and loads of tips. ---

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022

28chd34.png

Currently looks exactly like Emerald's :) The width of the box is exactly same as Fire Red's and Emerald's but only the text position is different. I'd like to thank interdpth for motivation and loads of tips. ---

Owow, that is unbelievably awesome :D, I really like the attention to detail you have with these sort of things!

Good luck ;)

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
Nice update, now the text actually looks like Fire Red properly! :P
Now the thing I now hate, is your OW for the hero :3

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022

28chd34.png

Ooh. It's looking good.

You should change the text to say GEAR instead of NAV. Of course it still would be for the nav, but it would be a nice little cosmetic change imo. =X
I've done it before, it looks legit. ;)

Also, tbh, the Emerald flowers don't look that great imo. Maybe it's just the old color that looks odd. idk.

...and change the wooden sign on that house to a mailbox. ;)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Fire Red uses 640 and R/S/E 512 in the major tileset. The tileset it self is small, don't believe me? Checkout unLZ in 1640 for Ruby and 1990 for Fire Red. So, Fire Red has more and Ruby less.
I get it now. You see, I thought you were talking about the amount of tiles you can have in your tileset in AdvanceMap (the 16x16 tiles), I didn't know you meant the 8x8 tiles that make up the 16x16 tiles.

28chd34.png

If you're talking about the font then, most people don't notice this, but Emerald's font is slightly different than FireRed/LeafGreen's. The R/S font is huge, the FR/LG font is tiny, and the Emerald font is slightly bigger than FR/LG's.

Anyways, I have an idea: Why don't you use different trees for Johto, instead of the FR/LG trees? In G/S/C, Johto had "pointy" trees, while Kanto had round trees, so I think you should use the FR/LG trees for Kanto only, and use a different tree for Johto, to differentiate them a little more.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Nice, it's good to see Azalea town. I like the choice of tiles you used, it gives the town a nice villages like green atmosphere. :3 And I think you should change the Emerald flower palettes to a nice shade of pink of light blue. Also, it would look good if you used the FR flower for Kanto and the Emerald flower for Johto.

Good luck :3

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Zeikku™ said:
Nice update, now the text actually looks like Fire Red properly!
Now the thing I now hate, is your OW for the hero :3
Yeah, I know, but I've got no choice; this sprite from Shiny Gold looks better than the ones from GSC platinum - at least that's what I think ^^

.com said:
Ooh. It's looking good.

You should change the text to say GEAR instead of NAV. Of course it still would be for the nav, but it would be a nice little cosmetic change imo. =X
I've done it before, it looks legit.

Also, tbh, the Emerald flowers don't look that great imo. Maybe it's just the old color that looks odd. idk.

...and change the wooden sign on that house to a mailbox.
I've done it before too but it's way too early to do it now XD Hmm, the Emerald flowers look exactly like that in Emerald, I'll try to do something about it. Oh and it's a great idea about using a mailbox :)

AztecFire said:
If you're talking about the font then, most people don't notice this, but Emerald's font is slightly different than FireRed/LeafGreen's. The R/S font is huge, the FR/LG font is tiny, and the Emerald font is slightly bigger than FR/LG's.

Anyways, I have an idea: Why don't you use different trees for Johto, instead of the FR/LG trees? In G/S/C, Johto had "pointy" trees, while Kanto had round trees, so I think you should use the FR/LG trees for Kanto only, and use a different tree for Johto, to differentiate them a little more.
Pure Gold uses Fire Red styled font ^^ Uhm, I would like to have those round trees mainly because it's used in Fire Red and as far as I know those 'pointy' trees are hardly used are they? We should have a discussion on this XD

Pokepal17 said:
Nice, it's good to see Azalea town. I like the choice of tiles you used, it gives the town a nice villages like green atmosphere. :3 And I think you should change the Emerald flower palettes to a nice shade of pink of light blue. Also, it would look good if you used the FR flower for Kanto and the Emerald flower for Johto.

Good luck :3

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Wow. This is the 2nd best Gold remake I've ever seen!
Try adding more features to make it unique from other GSC remakes.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Pure Gold uses Fire Red styled font ^^ Uhm, I would like to have those round trees mainly because it's used in Fire Red and as far as I know those 'pointy' trees are hardly used are they? We should have a discussion on this XD
Actually, I wasn't talking about those pointy trees in the FR tileset (wonder why they're even there, are they even used at all?).

I meant make a custom tree that's pointy shaped, and then use the FireRed tree for Kanto only. Here's a Johto tree I made a long time ago:
treesr.png

Now I know that the tree on the left looks nothing like the Johto tree used in HG/SS, but that's because I made that tree way before HG/SS was announced, so I used the 8-bit G/S/C tree as a reference. If you were to use that tree, then use the left one for Johto only, and use the right one for Kanto only.

Plz release the demo soon!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, I know, but I've got no choice; this sprite from Shiny Gold looks better than the ones from GSC platinum - at least that's what I think ^^

I've done it before too but it's way too early to do it now XD Hmm, the Emerald flowers look exactly like that in Emerald, I'll try to do something about it. Oh and it's a great idea about using a mailbox :)

1) I disagree, but whatever floats ya boat. (I'll just hack your hack and switch it to GSC Platinum's anyway, but it will be just for me. :p

2) RSE's tiles and people are as if your looking straight at them while the tiles and people are as if your a little above the ground, so it makes them look as if the have huge heads.
To make it simple RSE = looking straight and FRLG = Looking at slight elevation.
3) Totally let's spam the thread with nonsense about trees. 0.o

Actually, I wasn't talking about those pointy trees in the FR tileset (wonder why they're even there, are they even used at all?).

I meant make a custom tree that's pointy shaped, and then use the FireRed tree for Kanto only. Here's a Johto tree I made a long time ago:
treesr.png

Now I know that the tree on the left looks nothing like the Johto tree used in HG/SS, but that's because I made that tree way before HG/SS was announced, so I used the 8-bit G/S/C tree as a reference. If you were to use that tree, then use the left one for Johto only, and use the right one for Kanto only.

Nice Johto tree. That would be nice in any hack. :)

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
chrunch said:
Wow. This is the 2nd best Gold remake I've ever seen!
Try adding more features to make it unique from other GSC remakes.
This is unique XD How many remakes have you seen that's built on Ruby?

AztecFire said:

I'll stick to the Fire Red one :)

Raichu_is_Awesome said:
1) I disagree, but whatever floats ya boat. (I'll just hack your hack and switch it to GSC Platinum's anyway, but it will be just for me. :p

2) RSE's tiles and people are as if your looking straight at them while the tiles and people are as if your a little above the ground, so it makes them look as if the have huge heads.
To make it simple RSE = looking straight and FRLG = Looking at slight elevation.
3) Totally let's spam the thread with nonsense about trees. 0.o

Nice Johto tree. That would be nice in any hack.
Then I'll make sure you can't :P I bluff... Just joking ;)

Anyways, I've discussed this idea over with my friend and decided to do a version with Heart Gold/Sole Silver styled graphics and all after the Fire Red/Leaf Green styled one is over, this will be done after I complete this hackl. So to summarise, there'll be two versions.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I like the idea because it'll please everyone, but I really don't think you should do it.

Why?

Because to me, if a G/S/C remake starts to use HGSS tiles, it seems that they are competing with HGSS. And the style of graphics is the same as D/P/Pt and yet I've heard "Remakes shouldn't use D/P tiles" So why should they use HGSS tiles?

Not to mention it'll be more work for you and deep down in the end it'll be the same game. Who cares about FR style tiles in a remake? WHy do people need HGSS in a remake which looks fine the way it is?

Anyway it's your choice. :3

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Pokepal17 said:
I like the idea because it'll please everyone, but I really don't think you should do it.

Why?

Because to me, if a G/S/C remake starts to use HGSS tiles, it seems that they are competing with HGSS. And the style of graphics is the same as D/P/Pt and yet I've heard "Remakes shouldn't use D/P tiles" So why should they use HGSS tiles?

Not to mention it'll be more work for you and deep down in the end it'll be the same game. Who cares about FR style tiles in a remake? WHy do people need HGSS in a remake which looks fine the way it is?

Anyway it's your choice. :3
Exactly :) So, the discussion on that issue is closed for now.

Back