• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Maps] Curt's Region Starter Kit

Should I release the "Region Starter Kit" ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Screenshots would be great. I'm sure people are curious what your progress looks like for now.

exteradude

I believe that this idea would have both positive and negative aspects to it.

Positive:
-It will make Game Development much easier.
-Those who wish to create new regions would have others already done.
-The regions could be edited as well, making due for a very decent fan-game. This, of course, means that the maps should be able to be accessible from the developer's point of view if he wishes to edit and perhaps add to it. This would require some specific mapping procedures from both you, the creator(s) of this Regional Starter Kit, and those who wish to create the fan-game.
-This would not upper the standards of a good game, as more and more people will get this SK, therefore making it the norm, and adding to the regions already created would be considered not the norm, and it can affect the game positively and negatively (As before).
-This will make it easier for developers to insert a better story, without worrying about mapping and whatnot. At least, not as much, though some people will take it to themselves to edit the maps as much as they can, in which they will be congratulated for their efforts, good or bad.

Negative:
-There will be a lot of users who will create a game only based on those maps. Just add a story and some Pokemon here and there and voila, there's a (then crappy) fan-game. People will frown upon such achievements, and will put to excess the principal of editing the starter kit to the extent that it is considered a more original fan-game. This is, of course, a Starter Kit, which means that it needs to be edited in order to create a game. A mapping SK, like this, requires editing to be original. Therefore, this SK, being a Mapping Starter it, would need to be edited in order to be good.

EDIT: I was away at a doctor's appointment, so let me continue.

Here is some advice.
-After you're finished, go to the Game Creation Resources thread, and post it there. Ask the Mod controlling the main topic if he or she can also put it on the first post, for a decent reference. Of course, create a post on the thread before you ask him/her. You should also wait until the SK is a little more popular.
-Post some screen shots, and try to add as much information as possible. Decorate your post with pictures, colored text and all that. Maybe even pictured headings. This will increase revenue, and more people will be accepting to download it, and thereby see it's awesomeness.
-Create "siggy" images for support and further revenue of users coming to your post.

Something that is a MUST for you to do:
A while back, I opted to expand Blizzy's Starter Kit, which in turn affected me. I did not credit some various benefactors that were primary to the resources that I submitted. Advice: Credits. Lots of them. Create a text file in your project with credits to your supporters, give links to every forum post you've made about the project and credit all who have posted, give credit TO THE GIVERS OF THE RESOURCES, credit Nintendo, credit Poccil if you're using his scripts to create the Starter Kit: Give cred to every single person who has helped you with the project.

I congratulate you on wanting to create a Regional Starter Kit. Keep a lot of things in mind, but this is a great idea.

~Exteradude

Last edited:

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
Years
i support this, but i have a few questions...
1) What tiles will it be using?
2) Is it going to be just the same town, or with your own spin?
3) Can you post up some screenies? cuz i really wanna see some visuals ^^

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
lol...ok first off...i see your one of those guys that use perfect grammar while typing huh...lol...well i dont and who cares...i am sure i can spell better than you...i am not a kid...second off all...

I care. Would you type up a resume like that? I didn't think so. Second off all? Alright, point proven.

I suggest that you post some screenshots so people know if you are just building hype and are going to just disappear and let all the people who believed and supported this down.

exteradude

Yuoaman does prove a point. But I believe in ya. Just got this feeling.

Curt200718

Intermediate Game Developer
Years
screenshot1-1.png

^^^THIS IS PIC OF MY PROGRESS -(If you pic its too small for you to read, then save it to your desktop and zoom in it.) That pretty much covers my progress.

Any Maps with "NC" After there name means "Incomplete"....I have more than 80% Percent of the project done....Hoenn is a more detailed region than the others and is taking the longest.

I will show any map you guys want that doesnt have a "NC" beside its name.

Thanks for the Support Everyone !

PS: Thanks for the advice exteradude, also I will be sure to credit everyone who needs to be.

If I have to estimate a First Release date, I would guess one month from now...maybe sooner if I get more time
to work, but like I said im not a kid and I do work....gonna continue on caves...

Last edited:

exteradude

You're doing great! We don't need a release date mainly due to the fact that you're working on it. You're posting, which means that you are.

I would still recommend spicing up the thread a little, however. Also, another piece of advice:

Your project is HUGE. If I were you, I would back it up regularly. I would also put it on a durable flash drive, or perhaps one of the many online storage facilities. (XDrive's closed, but there are so many other options to back up your files without worry.) Also, free web hosts could also host it, depending on the file type.

Also, I'd recommend you releasing the indoor maps from the world. You were wondering about that, correct? Well, it's a Regional Starter Kit, and the indoors are, of course, an essential aspect of the region. It may take a while longer, but it will help the users of your Starter Kit much more.

Also, add midis of the songs for each map, concerning their specific needs. (i.e. Pallet Town music for Pallet Town, et cetera...). Since .mid files are small when compared to the huge .mp3's, it will not only save space, but give the user an idea of what music needs to go where, which will save a lot of research for those who don't know as much about the regions to the point where they have to understand the music to make a game with your SK. They can just add the new music from getting them online, or ripping it, or something along those lines.

Also, post screen-shots of some of the maps. People are really raving for it, and not only will it give people a better chance to download it, but people will be more comfortable when they decide to.

Tell me - Are you using Poccil's Starter Kit for this? If so, are you assigning the maps correctly in the visual editor and providing the World Maps respectively?

Well, that's my advice. XD

~Exteradude
Owner of Many Pies

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
This is interesting, i wasn't sure if a Region Starter Kit would be a good thing or not, what with all the poor projects that have ended up on the forums due to the release of the last starter kit, but this seems like a good idea, in fact if i hadn't have left my Pokémon game in favor of creating a Harry Potter RPG (info on this coming soon to PC) i would be considering using this, if i could come up with a good enough story as for why the Trainer needed/wanted to travel to them

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
I really need the regions it is needed for the third half of my game.

Nobody else noticed this?

Anyway, I will likely use your maps as reference points for making other maps. Usually you can get these maps from spriters-resource, but it's too much of a hassle trying to navigate around that site just to get every individual map.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
Hey Curt. I am finally back! =]

I remember when you said you were going to make this back when I made my resource pack (which the thread has died; I came back and was a few days late of saving it.) Anyway just PM me with any questions. I am looking to get back into Onyx soon.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
Wow! That would be great if you could release your Mappack soon :D I just registered to the forum because I started my own project and then I saw this nice post. With your maps, my project would be done much faster (Maybe 30% done or so). I just need the Kanto Maps at first so why don't you upload them now and then the other regions? xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2022
This would be a great project, even for people with they're own regions, adding this would mean they could go to the other regions and catch the rest of the pokemon.

I Support this 100%!

Merovin

Dragon Master!
Years
You're crazy to do all that mapping, crazy! Lol.
Still, it's a great idea, for many it will be useful for those who want to add older regions as an 'extra' after their own region.
Of course there will be some bad games spawning from this, where they just take us through the same place again with no changes.
But this will still aid many, giving them more time to focus primarily on their new region, making it as amazing as possible.

Curt200718

Intermediate Game Developer
Years
I know it has been so long since I have been on, but im here to share with you all what I have done. The region pack is not 100% complete but since I am not working on it anymore I have decided to release what I have completed.

I hope you guys enjoy it, and if there is any problems feel free to message me on MSN messenger : [email protected]

download link >>> http://rapidshare.com/files/282724805/Curts_Region_Starter_Kit.zip

enjoy

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Wow dude finnaly big thanks for this.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
thank you Curt! I really need this as you can visit Kanto and Hoenn in my game except for the fact that Hoenn is flooded and kind of destroyed from more fights of Groudon and Kyogre. I'm not sure if I should add Johto but if I do then the Western part of it will be mostly flooded along with Kanto.

Back