• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The PC Fitness Club

Juicy

Bone to be wild!
Years
Juicy it's really you choice on whether you want to do steady work outs or not (Personally I change my routine bi-weekly, but I keep the same weight for 4 weeks.) If you chose to do a steady routine for a long period of time, I really suggest doing the hump day workout, as I think the little challenge will really help your results! Though this is just my opinion on the matter, I am sure other people would have other opinions on it as well. Might make this the clubs main topic point for awhile.

I just realised something, aside from my regular working out at home I also meet up with some friends once or twice a week and we challenge ourselves with various exercises so that would really work the same as your hump day workout idea. I sorta didn't think about it because it's just having fun but now I feel like a little bit of an idiot ^^

Does anyone have any books they think are a good read when it comes to fitness of any sort? I quite enjoyed the 'convict conditioning' books but right now I'm more following the 'building the gymnastic body' book that I mentioned before but I'm always down for more information (especially if it's books on stretching) and perhaps we could get a list of good reads going in the original post, that could be good.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I think it's worth mentioning that if you repeat workouts for so long your body will adapt to the challenge and make it easier... That's a bad thing

Juicy

Bone to be wild!
Years
I think it's worth mentioning that if you repeat workouts for so long your body will adapt to the challenge and make it easier... That's a bad thing

Couple of questions, why is that a bad thing? How long is too long?

What I've read is that by repeating the same workout and allowing it to get to the stage where it's easy you actually give your whole body (Joints, muscles, bones, etc) a chance to rest and solidify the progress you've made. Then, when you move up to something harder you will be in a much better position. It may not be as fast but it is better for the long term. I'm not entirely sure either way but I don't think it's quite as simple as you're making it out to be.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I probably simplified it way too much, I think you're explanation covers it (I barely know what I'm talking about)

Juicy

Bone to be wild!
Years
I'm the same, I really don't know what I'm talking about which is why I like reading other people's points of views and how they react to the various things I've read.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
*chimes in*

I dont really know how to explain this I hope someone around here can do it better then I can but I'll give it a go.
The reason for muscle growth and development is so that your body can handle the strain and load that your body is put under so it can function properly. When you continually do the same thing the body can only adapt so much and itll plateau because it'll get to the point where your muscles are at the point where they can comfortably get the job you are requiring from them done. I think its something like that Juicy. Im not a professional so I dont entirely know and I cant be bother googling it xD.
Basically:
Your body needs to be challenged and experience new things to grow. If you don't want to challenge the body by adding more weight, just change the exercising your doing.
Thats my take on the matter anyway. Hope it helps.

Wiilio

Friendly neighborhood fatman
Years
Username: Wiilio
Reason for joining: CarefulWetPaint yelled at me to.
Seriously.
((00:06:22)) <LeagueOfPaint> JOIN MA CLUB!
But yeah. I actually lost 30 pounds during my freshman year, and then I stopped for awhile. Luckily didn't gain much back, maybe about 5 pounds. I've recently gotten back into it. Monday mornings are my weigh-in days, but I cheated and weighed myself today, and I've already lost 5 pounds :D Gettin' back into it dawgs!

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Welcome Wiilio!

As requested by Juicy I went looking for some good stretching videos on youtube and found this one:

This is a pretty solid warm up/stretching routine that you could easily do before a workout to help ensure that you won't hurt any part of your body while working out, while I would probably add a few to it (One or two focusing on the back) it is still very good and I suggest if you don't already have a warm up routine to use this as a very good guild line. Also tell me what you think of this routine and if you all think its fairly decent I'll put it up on the front page until I find a better one.

Wiilio you are the only person who said that they are wanting to lose weight so far, while most the work outs up already will definitely help you lose weight I'll try and figure out one more targetted to losing weight safely, Though diet is a massive factor when trying to lose weight as well as when trying to gain weight so if someone could help us out with that Id really appreciate it as well as all the other members! Lets make PC a healthier and fitter place! xD

Wiilio

Years
Yeah, I've got that all covered I think! Natural foods as much as possible. The only meat should be poultry or fish (pork in moderation). Plenty of fruits and vegetables. And of course, A BUTTLOAD OF WATER. I get at least 10 glasses a day.

Also, first official weigh-in occurs tomorrow morning. And I'll be vlogging my journey!

EDIT 2: While on the treadmill, I found a way to work dat azz. Just stick it out behind you while you're running! I found it out kinda by accident. I just bent down for a second to get a better look at something on the floor, and I felt it in my booty!

So yeah!

Last edited:

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
Years
Yes thank you! I'm not in wheelchair but I have extreme problem with fainting upon standing or moving a round lots, so chair exercises in general are better for me (as in any exercise I can do without standing up for long periods or getting up and down off floor).

Someone recently recommended a workout chair that helps tone muscle called......Ab Doer, I believe. They said it is good for people who are older or have trouble standing/extreme workouts but still want to help improve muscle tone. Does anyone have experience with the Ab Doer?

I'm not looking to get huge and bulky. Mainly to keep myself from being totally out of commission and boost my energy, because I used to exercise so hard when i was well at the gym and all. To doing zilch. I think this would be similar to doing chair exercise but the seat twists, allowing for easy waist movement, to where I can actually stretch my core and legs and back without having to move a chair around, etc. It's a very cheap price (around 200$ I think) so I don't expect it to do too much, but might be an option if I can get some opinion?

Here's the page/description: http://www.abdoertwist.com/abdoer-twist.html

Also note: I can't do lot of walking. I get dizzy on standing. I'm worried about my heartrate problem no matter what exercise I take up (I have an arrhythmia of the heart that causes my heart to beat too fast). The doctor says this is not dangerous as of itself (I have a type of tachycardia that is from a certain part of my heart that won't necessarily kill me/cause long damage, but feels VERY bad) but is probably what causes my fainting when I stand/move around. >_<;;; That's why i say sitting is the best position, so if I do get faint, I won't really FALL, which has happened before and it sucked XD

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Yeah, I've got that all covered I think! Natural foods as much as possible. The only meat should be poultry or fish (pork in moderation). Plenty of fruits and vegetables. And of course, A BUTTLOAD OF WATER. I get at least 10 glasses a day.

Also, first official weigh-in occurs tomorrow morning. And I'll be vlogging my journey!

EDIT 2: While on the treadmill, I found a way to work dat azz. Just stick it out behind you while you're running! I found it out kinda by accident. I just bent down for a second to get a better look at something on the floor, and I felt it in my booty!

So yeah!

Lol so trying that tonight! Unfortunately the gym is always busy on Monday's, which I really hate.

Also, anyone have any great workout music? I'm lacking

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Kurui I'll look for some more sitting down exercises for you over the next few days as it seems like thats something you can do without to much strain on your health! Yays!

Also have you thought of the old 6 meals a day trick Wiilio? Where you eat smaller meals but have them more often, apparently this makes your metabolism go faster so you can lose weight easier! yays! I realise I havent put any workouts up targetting weight loss specifically but you could still use the ones I've put up to lose weight, they'll defs work. you could perhaps share your routine with us though if you're feeling up to it?

Work Out Music! Weeeooooooo.

Okay I listen to the Rooster Teeth Podcast during most of my workouts (Yes Im a nerd I know) but when I'm done with them I have a metal and dubstep playlists that I use.
Generally look for fast beats and energetic songs for workout playlists as they will trick you into getting more pumped up and help you push through. Some examples I can think of:

Dub Wub Wub:

Daydreamer - Flux Palivion
Bangarang - Skrillex
Lights - Klaypex

Metalz:

Dead End - In Flames
Smoke them if you got them - Parkway Drive
Focus Shift - Dark Tranquility

If you want more songs just say and I'll get my playlists c/p for you!

Wiilio

Years
((19:20)) <CWP-> Wiilio you should tots post in the fitness club xD

k.

Lost 3 pounds. Woot.

As far as workout music... don't have too many great songs. But there are a few that I find really get me pumped!

Crazy B*tch - Buckcherry
Get Off of My Back - Bryan Adams
Thanks for the Memories - Fall Out Boy (No judging)

"Get Off of my Back" is from the Disney movie "Spirit." haha

Last edited:

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
3 pounds! That's a pretty decent loss! You'll be at your goal weight in no time at all if you keep it up like that. If you put in harder Im sure you'll drop even faster xD Is the only work outs you do cardio? Like time on the treadmill or do you do weights as well?

And I am TOTALLY judging you for Fall Out Boy >.> I'm sure Impo will be happy to see all these new songs he has to check out though.

Also guys this weeks Hump Day Workout has been put up and its a challenge to all you guys to beat my time! If you have questions on anything about the workout just say and I'll try and help out.

So can you beat my time of 8:07 to finish the workout? Or are you guys too scared?

Wiilio

Years
If I put in harder I might drop xD I'm permanently exhausted because of work. Waking up at 4 AM plus walking around in heavy steel-toed boots all day does not make for a good combo. I don't do weights because I want to make sure that the weight I lose is fat. If I do weights then I'll be GAINING weight instead of losing it. I might start with weights, though, and switch to measurements instead of scales. I've just never done that and don't know what to measure.

What would you recommend for just starting out with strength training? I don't have much in the way of weights, and I weigh 230 pounds/104 kilos.

And I'm too scared ;;

Another good song in my lil library:
Indestructible - Disturbed

Last edited:

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
If I put in harder I might drop xD I'm permanently exhausted because of work. Waking up at 4 AM plus walking around in heavy steel-toed boots all day does not make for a good combo. I don't do weights because I want to make sure that the weight I lose is fat. If I do weights then I'll be GAINING weight instead of losing it. I might start with weights, though, and switch to measurements instead of scales. I've just never done that and don't know what to measure.

What would you recommend for just starting out with strength training? I don't have much in the way of weights, and I weigh 230 pounds/104 kilos.

And I'm too scared ;;

Another good song in my lil library:
Indestructible - Disturbed

Well you'll still lose weight if you do weight training and you'll blast away your belly fat as well. So you'll lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, winning? I think so!
I suggest you find out what your max capability is then drop it back to about 60-70% of that weight with 5-8 reps and 3 sets. Have a look at my gym workout for weight based training, though I could suggest doing bodyweight training? If you want more info just say and I'll write something up for you in more detail.

Challenge accepted, sir.

[6 minutes, 6 seconds later...]

Done. (All while listening to a loop of "I Don't Care" by Fall Out Boy lol|)

That is fairly impressive! Definitely beating me so far, we'll see how I go tonight xD Hopefully I can get a good time for all of you to challenge.
For you Americans 40kilos roughly translates to about 90 pounds.
And a thruster is a front squat followed by a military (overhead) press as you stand back up from the squat position, that being one rep.

NP

Help, I'm alive
Years
Ah, well, as we talked about earlier, I did this 10 pounds less than what you intended. Oh well, will give another shot some other time.

For post workout stretches, this is the routine I usually do http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=N39H2BnY00M&feature=plcp.

It's great for cooling down and will help build your endurance.

@Kurui: I recommend physical therapy exercises. Particularly breathing exercises. I'd say start with in for four and out for four beats (or seconds). Then mix it up with 2-2, 1-1, 6-2, 2-4, whatever. It will really help with anything you do physically.

Last edited:

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Okay Need to update my time. I did this weeks hump day workout challenge in 5:43.
Thats Five minutes forty three seconds. I am very interested to see if anyones going to be able to top that this week as I am totally ruined now haha. Also I did it while listening to my friends awful music because he refuses to listen to anything decent for working out when he comes with me to the gym.

I've been thinking of doing more challenge work outs like this what does everyone think of that as an idea for the club?

Back