• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen brb riding my torchic

Are HMs a Thing of the Past?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I guess it's weird we've seen the character both running and on skates, but no sign of a bike yet...
would feel pretty years after getting so used to it, so i hope it will still be included.
I don't think Cars will be a new thing, just a feeling

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Well, let's not forget that the character isn't old enough to own a driving license, so I'm sure that we won't be able to drive cars.
Maybe we'll be able to take a cab, even though I highly doubt that will happen.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Weren't there vehicles in BW/BW2? I hope they're just spacefillers. Cars and proper vehicles seem dull as long-term transportation options.

Bikes and riding animals all the way!

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I think they'll just be there to make the world seem a bit more 'alive'. If anything, they'll be for fast-travel, but even that seems a little too out there for GameFreak.

I lived in France for a majority of my childhood, and I remember quite a lot of people using rollerblades to get around, but then again there were also lots of bicycles (which was my preferred way of traveling.) I doubt they removed it. Might just be that there's more than one way of getting around.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I doubt they removed it. Might just be that there's more than one way of getting around.

I guess The Skates could be an extra way to get around, but what would be the point?
There is the slow walking, the somewhat faster running and the fastest way, the bike
So would the rollerblades be faster than running but slower than the bike?
Or maybe it's just an accessoire? Who knows

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
Maybe the Evil Team could kidnap the Champion/Elite Four Member/Gym Leader/You into a white van and drive away? XD

Sorry, thoughts running wild.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hmmm I was just wondering. You know that sound at the start of when you're on Gogoat? Do you think that could be... a portal? Do you think portals could also be a likely form of transport guys?

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Pokemon Riding

I am very excited after seeing the trainer riding gogoat. But I am wondering... Do you guys think that you will be able to ride other large pokemon such as the legendary dogs, Mightyena, Houndoom, etc?

If not, it is still cool to be able to ride Gogoat. But I just think that, just like HM's, it would be very unpractical if you could only ride Gogoat, as not everyone will like it, and not everyone will want it in their team.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
I'm pulling for the natural abilities which will allow you to ride any Pokemon like it had an HM without taking up a move... I do, however, believe you have to wait to obtain the saddle you see on the Pokemon to prevent early riding... If that EV training with minigames thing is true (not sure if it was confirmed true or fake), then I'm guessing we will be able to do a race on Pokemon's backs to train Speed EVs (With other ways to train Speed EVs for non-rideable Pokemon)

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
I'm pulling for the natural abilities which will allow you to ride any Pokemon like it had an HM without taking up a move... I do, however, believe you have to wait to obtain the saddle you see on the Pokemon to prevent early riding... If that EV training with minigames thing is true (not sure if it was confirmed true or fake), then I'm guessing we will be able to do a race on Pokemon's backs to train Speed EVs (With other ways to train Speed EVs for non-rideable Pokemon)

I hope they give Pokemon an HM slot that can only be taken up by an HM, and can only be forgotten to learn an HM. It sucks when you have a good Pokemon for battle but have to teach it cut or something.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
I hope they give Pokemon an HM slot that can only be taken up by an HM, and can only be forgotten to learn an HM. It sucks when you have a good Pokemon for battle but have to teach it cut or something.

I like the idea of natural abilities better over an hm slot... Scyther has huge scythes for arms, why can't he cut down some thorns? Like-wise Pokemon that look rideable should be rideable... It shouldn't be restricted to Gogoat (If it is I'll never ride a Pokemon because I'm ignoring that Gogoat forever, unless it evolves into something with a less ridiculous name...)

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
I like the idea of natural abilities better over an hm slot... Scyther has huge scythes for arms, why can't he cut down some thorns?

Anything that makes HMs either not take up one of the 4 attack slots, get its own attack slot, or become forgettable at any moment in time is something I am okay with. So I support natural abilities as well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Hmmm I was just wondering. You know that sound at the start of when you're on Gogoat? Do you think that could be... a portal? Do you think portals could also be a likely form of transport guys?
I thought that sound was just its cry.
I like the idea of natural abilities better over an hm slot... Scyther has huge scythes for arms, why can't he cut down some thorns? Like-wise Pokemon that look rideable should be rideable... It shouldn't be restricted to Gogoat (If it is I'll never ride a Pokemon because I'm ignoring that Gogoat forever, unless it evolves into something with a less ridiculous name...)

The only problem is, what makes a Pokémon "look" rideable? Just by looking at them, I would never expect the Diglett line and Drifloon line to learn Cut, but they do (don't forget the wonderful Flying Golurk). Similarly, I never thought Electrode looked like a rideable Pokémon, but then the anime happened...
While it would be cool to have a variety of Pokémon rideable, I don't think it would happen in these games. In the future, maybe, but I have a feeling that it would just not happen in these titles.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Imagine riding massive legendaries, haha. It would be really awesome if all "rideable-looking" pokemon could indeed be used like the gogoat, but I don't think we'll see that.

When i think about it though, with all the 3-D models already in the game for the battles and stuff, it shouldn't be so hard to implement them for the riding feature.....

Years
I'm thinking maybe goatmon replaces the bicycle? I mean like you have to catch goatmon and then he's your bicycle and also Pokémon.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
Looking at the mat/saddle thing the rideable gogoat has, I'm thinking it's only possible in certain areas. Perhaps only with certain gogoat. A rental service working in the central city would feel plausible.

The rollerskates feel like a more fitting replacement for bikes. I suppose creating models and animations for the character mounting and riding bicycles is much more difficult than just giving us shoes. Not that I wouldn't want the bicycle to make its return.

I'm certain HMs will still be around. I hope their system is at least a little revamped, though.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Looking at the mat/saddle thing the rideable gogoat has, I'm thinking it's only possible in certain areas. Perhaps only with certain gogoat. A rental service working in the central city would feel plausible.

The rollerskates feel like a more fitting replacement for bikes. I suppose creating models and animations for the character mounting and riding bicycles is much more difficult than just giving us shoes. Not that I wouldn't want the bicycle to make its return.

I'm certain HMs will still be around. I hope their system is at least a little revamped, though.

I have to agree with pretty much everything you said.

I'm pretty sure the Gogoat riding feature will be Lumiose City exclusive, maybe some kind of rental service as suggested.

The rollerskates do seem like a replacement for the bikes. I don't see both being included, wouldn't make sense to create a "speed" between running and the bike, at least to me.
Unless maybe we don't have the running feature anymore? Maybe the fast walking is the new regular walking speed?

HM's will more than likely make a return. I actually wouldn't mind, just as long as they can be forgotten like any other move

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
Running shoes were necessary because of the movement controls for Game Boy and the original DS.

I assume, with the analog stick on the 3DS, that the ability to control the "strength" of your direction is possible. Maybe you can make the character walk faster by pushing the stick further.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years

On the topic of Gogoat, yup, pretty much what I've been saying all along. If they were really going to show off riding Pokémon they probably wouldn't have limited the location of the display to one location. I'm really expecting it to be a Lumiose City exclusive, and probably won't be available anywhere else.

As for a Bicycle replacement, I could see the roller blades replacing it, although that kind of seems like an odd choice. I mean, bikes have much more ability to be ridden in a variety of landscapes, whereas roller blades/skates are kind of limited to smooth terrains. You can't exactly ride roller blades easily through grass. Just seems like odd choice to me.

Back