• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated Pokemon.

Years
Lucario and Blaziken for me. Lucario since Nintendo makes such a huge push to make it a mascot. Movie, smash character, mega evolution + freebie in -game. A lot of people I know that are old fans and no longer follower pokemon think it's a legendary because of the way it was promoted.

Blaziken falls in the crazy love for fire type starters category combined with the hoenn obsession. It's competitive usefulness meaning you see it a lot and it gets way too much praise as being 'so powerful'.

And while I do agree that for the most part eevee evolutions get more attention than they deserve, I do love my espeon ;)
They're cute and they resemble real world animals that are beloved. It's the same reason arcanine and ninetales used to be so popular when gen 1 was all that was around

Years
The trio of Charizard, Blaziken and Lucario who are all talked about like every single time. Now it seems like Greninja might be up there now that he was revealed as a playable character in SSB4, but I like the froggy ninja anyway so yeah.

But I know it's the massive Charizard/Blaziken/Lucario fanbase I can't stand.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
It always has to be the original 151, doesn't it?

I remember the days when my schoolmates overrated Charizard, Blaziken and Infernape and made up overpowered new moves to make them feel unstoppable. Our class 'Pokémon Master' (aka he who knew more than everybody else) even had his favourite Pokémon as Thyplosion.

They also used to claim Lucario was a 'legendary'. They compared Lucario to other Pokémon as stronger always, and they never stopped using legendary Pokémon to enhance their claims. They also glorified all mainstream legendary Pokémon (Kyogre, Lugia, Palkia, Darkrai etc., all those who were featured in the main storyline and movies) and felt that the spinoffs (Mew, Jirachi, Mesprit, etc.) didn't deserve to be legendary Pokémon.

So it has to be the mentioned above Pokémon that are most overrated.
PS - Pikachu is more criticised than being praised for being a mascot (Pikachu sucks, Pikachu is too weak, Pikachu is for kids), so I wouldn't consider Pikachu overrated.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
What do I consider overrated? Just about everything from the odd-numbered generations (1, 3 and 5). Everyone seems to think that either gen 1 or gen 3 is the best generation ever and that 5 is the worst.

Years
Charizard Charizard Charizard. I never saw the appeal and personally feel there are cooler dragon-like Pokemon out there.. though that probably wasn't the case during the R/B/Y days. Seems like a lot of Charizard fans are people who started playing around the first generation and their love for him carried over to future gens. Just a guess, though!

That's pretty much it in my eyes - don't mind the other overrated 'mons since I can see why they're so popular.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Charizard - Everyone already talked about why.

Gyarados - Definitely one of the most overrated Pokemon out there. Sure, it' strong and looks cool, but it's not THAT strong and cool.

Eeveelutions - They're cute. OK, I get it, they're cute. But that's really no reason to praise them like they're gods. Also, Sylveon is the most overrated eeveelution. Ever since its design was revealed, people were non-stop talking about it and adoring it. I personally really hate its design.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
Garchomp is so overrated it hurts. It's not even too difficult to counter unless people get really creative with them.

Charizard is overrated in its base form, and I'm finding that its Mega Forms are also having too much praise sung over them. There hasn't been a form, Mega or otherwise of Charizard yet that I haven't been able to Rock Slide out of existence.

Typically all the Pokemon that can be considered overrated I usually agree with. Some deserve their praise, others are just so undeserving of the attention they get.

The most recent overrated Pokemon to come out of Kalos definitely has to be Talonflame. It's good amazing speed and a brilliant ability, but I find it rarely ever challenges me to face one. If my Pokemon hasn't been weakened already, 9 times out of 10, Talonflame can't beat it.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
Years
Pretty much any Pokemon that you see on almost every competitive team:

Rotom-Wash. Ugh, if I see one more of these... This thing defines overrated. Rarely do I see a team without it, and, due in part to how stupidly common it is, it's not that hard to counter; you just need a faster Grass-type, which shouldn't be all that hard to find because Rotom-W is slow as molasses. Has a pretty bad design in my eyes, too.

Conkeldurr. I forgot to mention this one in a post I made in a similar thread, but it's come to my attention lately. I've said before that I tend to hate most Fighting-types design wise for one reason or another, but this one really sticks out. Its entire evolutionary line looks dumb to me. And just like the other guy I mentioned, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, it's good a good attack stat, but aside from Drain Punch, its movepool is pretty awful. Its mediocre bulk and abysmal speed mean it's not gonna get much off without Trick Room support. I don't care what people say, this is why I always prefer stuff like Primeape and Emboar.

Blissey. Hide behind ungodly HP and SpD. Spam status and healing moves. Rinse and repeat. Whoo, boy, let me tell ya, that takes sooo much skill. Oh look, Taunt.

Honorable mentions go to Talonflame and Aegislash.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Aside from the obvious (Pikachu, Charizard - do note that it's a beast competitively, Lucario, Mewtwo, Eevee and its evolutions, Gardevoir, Blaziken), I would like to nominate Mega Pinsir as one of the most overrated pokemon ever, as people really tend to forget it's 4x weak to SR and thus rarely gets more than one chance to set up a Swords Dance and sweep, even with the Defog buff. If SR is up, Mega Pinsir will have 25% left on the second switch, becoming easy bait for priority users. Its 105 base Speed, while good, is simply not enough to outpace many Choice Scarf or priority users, which can usually take a Quick Attack (even if Mega Pinsir is at +2) and revenge kill it. Examples: Terrakion, Nidoking, Landorus-T (which can even Intimidate it), Landorus-I, Scizor (which just goes for the Bullet Punch, an OHKO when Mega Pinsir's at 50%), etc etc etc. And last, but not least, Mega Pinsir has 4 moveslot syndrome: it has to choose between Close Combat and Earthquake, which basically means it's going to be walled by something.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2024
Blaziken and Lucario, by far.

I would also say Charizard, specially when GF gave it two mega-evolutions.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 14, 2023
Def would have to be Charizard but what about the most underrated?

The most underated probaly is togepi togetic and togakiss because togakiss is a beast!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Question. Do you people take issue with the Pokemon themselves or some of their more ignorant and vocal "fans" (as seems to be the case from the majority of answers that I'm seeing).

Because personally, I don't see how the incessant ramblings of fools should have any bearings on the Pokemon themselves.

Waterlemon

Treat Or Else...
Years
For me, here are the most overrated Pokemon:

Gyarados
Ive never seen why people like Gyarados. Sure, it has nice stats and some good moves, but I dont see how people like his design. I think it looks kinda ugly. I've seen this guy in almost every "Top 10 Favourite Pokemon" lists. Not to mention that flying type.

Rotom-W
I like Rotom and his forms. But after I got into competitive battling, everyone in the entire OU tier runs Rotom-W. I dont see how this form is used over the others. They have the exact same stats. Sure, the Electric/Water typing is nice, and Hydro Pump is a great move, but why this form? Competitive speaking, he only has a weakness to grass, one the most underpowered types, meaning that you will very rarely OHKO it.

Talonflame
Gale Wings.

Lucario
Lucario isnt a legendary. Lucario isnt a psuedo legendary either. I just hate how overhyped he is. I watch egglockes on YouTube, and in every one, at least 9 Riolu eggs are hatched. He isnt even that great of a pokemon in my eyes. Sure, Swords Dance/Extreme Speed wrecks house, but anything that can live an ESpeed can annihilate it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2024
Question. Do you people take issue with the Pokemon themselves or some of their more ignorant and vocal "fans"

Since it's about overratedness, it's implied that the problem is with the amount of people who rate them more than they deserve.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
Charizard for sure. It's not that big powerful flying type (dragon wannabe) that everyone believes..or used to believe. You can take half its health away with Stealth Rock for goodness sake. xD

Greninja is the newest to my list. Everyone and their mom online uses this thing in battles but it's not really as good as it seems. It's not a bad Pokemon but it's definitely not the best thing in the world and it baffles me as to why it's so popular. Now that it's in Smash Bros, it's going to be even more annoying to hear about. Like how annoying Lucario was in Brawl. Nintendo/Game Freak tries to make these Pokemon a "thing" but they just shouldn't.

Mega Evolutions would also be on my list, but their power makes it no surprise everyone and their mom uses them.

Garchomp and other dragon types were on my list but ever since Fairies came out, I've been seeing less and less of them. After generations and generations of having them on top, it's a relief they were stopped.

Back