• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need Help Making a Team [Omega Ruby]

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Now that I've completed the main storyline in Omega Ruby, I want to start to go competitive on Rating Battles in Battlespot, but I'm not really sure what Pokemon to use.
I can get the movesets/natures/EVs/etc. for the Pokemon myself, I'm just not too sure what Pokemon would be good in battlespot, or possibly good counters for Pokemon commonly used in Rating Battles.
Anyone that can help me out here?

Anyone have any useful advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
You kinda have to give us something to work with. Are you doing singles or doubles? Are there any Pokemon at all that you'd like to use?

These 2 links show the most commonly used Pokemon are in singles and doubles in Battle Spot:
Singles - http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#single
Doubles - http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#double

Clicking on each Pokemon gives you a detailed breakdown of the moves, items, natures, partners, etc, that are commonly used on each Pokemon, so that should give you some idea of what you'll be up against a lot of time and so you can start coming up with ideas to deal with those things.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
You kinda have to give us something to work with. Are you doing singles or doubles? Are there any Pokemon at all that you'd like to use?

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. I'm going to be playing Single battles.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Alright, then I suppose a place to start would be with Mamoswine or something:

-Mamoswine w/Life Orb
Nature: Naive/Hasty
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Attack, 252 Speed, 16 Sp.Defense
Moves: Earthquake, Ice Shard, Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear, Freeze Dry

Mamo makes for a good check to Salamence and Garchomp (because Ice Shard), who're commonly used. Earthquake is also useful against Steel types which also tend to be common. Ground/Ice is a nice offensive typing, really, and having an Electric immunity is good too.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm going to quote my post from another thread here because it's relevant here as well.
We're not going to build a team for you because that beats the whole point of the teambuilding experience. You already know what you want so I suggest starting from there. I suggest selecting a couple of Pokemon that you know how to, or would like to know how to, utilize and build your team around that. This rather old but still pretty much applicable Smogon article should help you get started with competitive battling as a whole, and here's Smogon's XY Strategy Dex to provide you common sets for each Pokemon.

My suggestion is to pay attention to the bolded part of the quote and come back to us once you have compiled a list of Pokemon that you would like to use.

Back