The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games > Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews

Notices

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Want to showcase yourself playing a game? Want to write a guide on how to beat the hardest levels of a game? Or maybe you want to give your review of a game you have? If so, this is the place for you!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:49 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Hey guys, I dont know if anyone really noticed but I posted a few playthroughs/LP's and I recently added one with commentary and from now on I play to have all my videos with commentary, however I'd like suggestions on how you guys think I could improve and how I could possible attract more people to my videos
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM
ibot95

I was thinking of starting an LP but I'm not sure :3 plus I'm new to the pokecommunity so I have no clue what I'm doing :D woo
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:02 AM
kieronhart

Hi guys,

I've been playing Pokemon ever since red and blue arrived on the scene. I've completed all the games and played through and started to make a few hacks too. My question is, do you think it would be worth it if I gave back to the community and maybe start off on YouTube with a speed playthrough of Fire Red/Leaf Green and if that gets decent attention, do proper walkthroughs of all the games from start to finish?

There are so many users on YouTube who say they would upload videos daily and either give up or wait weeks at a time before any new videos are made. I know how this leaves people feeling with me being one of those people. But I promise to be an honest citizen and to always have new content and bring a fresh looks about how the walkthroughs are made!

Thanks Guys looking forward to your response.
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:16 AM
TurkishDelight
Scott Mescudi

Nature: Relaxed
Hey dude I'd be sure to watch your speed run as I am a relatively new Let's Player on YouTube myself! It's hard to get feedback at first but keep going and you'll be sure to build up an audience!

Old November 7th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Rothometapratis

I see no reason why you shouldn't and tbh I don't really understand why you are contemplating about it.
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:26 AM
kieronhart

Cheers for the feedback lads! Turkish, what do you think would best suit a speed run? commentary or no commentary? Only asking these questions because I guess its all about first impressions and i'm sure the best way to build up an audience would be to grab everyone's attention from the beginning
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Quinn
Shall we get down to business?

Nature: Calm
I used to use things like that all the time when I was younger to help me, I think its good to extend a helping hand and if you like doing it then its a win win. I do like let's plays alittle more my self though.

X & Y friend code - 1418-6708-9370
Currently working on perfect Iv team- (Diggersby)
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Doctor
Allons-y!

Nature: Naive
On PokéCommunity we actually have a section dedicated to Let's Plays and walkthroughs and stuff like that! So I'll move this thread over to there. However, the best place for asking for advice and feedback on ideas like this seems to be this thread.

I personally enjoy quiet runs much more than runs with commentary. But if you want to make a walkthrough that fully tries to find out all secrets and functions and places in the games, commentary is probably a good thing. If you just want to illustrate a general playthrough, commentary can be annoying :p That's just my personal opinion. The guys over in the Let's Plays section can probably come with better thoughts, haha.

-moved

somebody called for the Doctor?
Auspistice | Matesprit | Moirail | Kismesis
- Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers -

Old November 7th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Dragon

I'm actually going to move this to the LP Guides and Reviews discussion thread, ahaha.
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:33 PM
MrRaptorTurtle

Hey guys (and gals) I recently made a Youtube channel solely for gaming videos, as of now I only have 2 videos up and I'm still trying to grasp the skill of editing my videos decently. Although I don't have any Pokemon videos up so far (don't have a capture card yet) I would greatly appreciate it if you could all give my channel a quick look and see what you think? And if you like what you see, Subscribe, comment and rate! I'd be happy to Subscribe back too! Sorry if this isn't the place to post stuff like this!
Link is in my Sig

3DS Friend Code: 2509-0812-5836

Steam ID: Mr_Raptor_Turtle

Xbox GT: MrRaptorTurtle

Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRaptorTurtleGaming
Make Sure to LIKE & SUBSCRIBE!!
(More videos coming soon)

Last edited by MrRaptorTurtle; November 7th, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:25 AM
«Chuckles»
KANEDA!

Nature: Brave
What's the go on LPs made of entirely screenshots with added text because I'm not uploading to YouTube any more unless its got something todo with Marco the monkey. I'm gonna do demikids dark version its a megami tensei game.

PairMy Let's PlayTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:18 PM
GatAttack

Nature: Lax
Hey guys, it's GatAttack.

I just wanted to know if anybody would be interested in watching my upcoming FireRed Nuzlocke runthrough. I'm going to be posting on Youtube as often as possible, and I figured this would be a good place to test the waters.

Thanks y'all!
-Gat
Old December 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by «Chuckles» View Post
What's the go on LPs made of entirely screenshots with added text because I'm not uploading to YouTube any more unless its got something todo with Marco the monkey. I'm gonna do demikids dark version its a megami tensei game.
Screenshot LPs are all right in my book. Megami Tensei games might even work better in the screenshot format because it's a JRPG. This way, you can cut out the random battles and take time to explain anything about the game without needing to rush through explanations or sit on menu screens while playing so you have time to add post-commentary. Also, you'll be able to write down the dialogue, and readers can take the time to read what the characters are saying at their own pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatAttack View Post
Hey guys, it's GatAttack.

I just wanted to know if anybody would be interested in watching my upcoming FireRed Nuzlocke runthrough. I'm going to be posting on Youtube as often as possible, and I figured this would be a good place to test the waters.

Thanks y'all!
-Gat
You're on a Pokemon forum, which means you have the built-in audience of those who like to play/watch Pokemon games. If your videos are well-edited and of good quality and you have decent commentary (with a good microphone!), then people will be willing to watch your videos.
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM
OddStodd

Retro Gamers Unite

Hello, all, my name is OddStodd, and I want to play retro Pokemon games with everyone! Let me explain: we get on skype while playing these games, record them, and post them to our respective YouTube channels. Eligible games? Look below.
To join, simply PM me with your Skype name, and age, telling me why you want to join. Its that easy! Now for some rules.

1. You don't HAVE to have a YouTube channel. Its great if you do, but its not required.
2. The recommended age is 16, but if you are younger than that, I ask that you check with your caretakers first. This is mainly due to the fact that there will be older players (I'm 20) and I want to make sure not to offend anyone.
3. While we are on the topic of offending people, there is to be NO harassment or attacking other players. Its not fun when people start to take things seriously.
4. The good games are RED, BLUE, GREEN, YELLOW, GOLD, SILVER, CRYSTAL, POKEMON STADIUM 1 & 2, RUBY, SAPPHIRE, EMERALD, FIRE RED, AND LEAF GREEN. Also, hacks of these gens will sometimes be played. AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE POKEMMO PLAYED TOO! POKEMMO MODS FIRE RED AND TURNS IT INTO A GREAT MMORPG!
5. If I think of more, I will post below!

Let's have some fun, people!

youtube.com/user/OddStodd
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Retom
Retomplay on Youtube

I decided to say hi, i dont think of making a thread, i am not an entertainer so i have different purposes with playing on youtube

i want to share my gaming fun, with others

i dont want to advertise my channel so i just say hi and do want to see some of yours

Musiccomposer for games, as hobby, not professional http://musicgamer-11.newgrounds.com
Let's player but starting : http://youtube.com/retomplay
Future Developer of Games

Twitter : http://twitter.com/retomplay
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Warrior Rapter
Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Modest
Alright, bit of an idea/assistance needed flood here. To start off, I'm currently on a little bit of a hiatus on my channel currently due to honestly.... no feedback at all. I'd like to be able to engage my audience with my video, and I know my commentary skills are less than mediocre currently, which is where I'm wanting to turn to feedback, so I can try to improve on things that there's a general consensus that I'm very lacking in (and before anyone suggests it, because I know it's a thing, humor and me don't mix well).

Means my latest spree of videos I've tried to market my channel as a strategy gameplay channel, I've considered trying scripted, food for thought topics. Scripted commentary on it's own is a very new concept to me, and given that I'm not exactly sure what type of critical thinking my audience may be interested in has been the cause of the delay in actually trying it out. If possible, I'd prefer to stay away from controversial subjects, and my idea was to also take viewer submitted ideas for topics.

Next, I've been considering adding rogue-like games to my lineup. Something like Dungeons of Dredmor or Hack, Slash, Loot runs, with permadeath on in DoD's case. My reasoning is that, at least in my general opinion, a good portion of rogue-like games, whatever other genres they are under, could also be classified as strategy in some form, whether it's how you build your character, how to engage certain rooms or enemies, and even what items and skills you take.

Finally, another advice question regarding some of my current lineup of games, which is mostly collectible card games. I'd love to go into and maybe analyze or otherwise explain top tier strategies for things like Hearthstone, Pokemon TCG Online, and Might and Magic: Duel of Champions. The issue comes that I don't have the necessary resources to obtain the cards for the top tier decks... I mean heck, it takes me awhile to complete personal creations even. I wouldn't mind going into maybe the low or even mid tier, the help out people starting into the game or even in the same boat as I am where they are having to go about obtaining the cards the hard way. But in that instance, I wouldn't even know where to start, much less where I should try to define low and mid tier.

Thank you guys in advance for the help.
Old February 4th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Retom
Retomplay on Youtube

I think you need a good pc with speed t orecord ds games is perfect quality

Musiccomposer for games, as hobby, not professional http://musicgamer-11.newgrounds.com
Let's player but starting : http://youtube.com/retomplay
Future Developer of Games

Twitter : http://twitter.com/retomplay
Old February 5th, 2014, 06:24 AM
TeKan56

Hi,

I really need some tips on how to do video LPs. How to record videos on the VGBA, Nozoomer and Desmume emulators and how to add audio as well? I would also really like a background template which I can use to add my teams in Nuzlockes and stuff. A guide on editing would be great too. I know this is a lot, but any help or contribution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:54 AM
SneakyOBK

well , i have a youtube channel called SneakyOBK and i want to play games people want to see , someone have a good idea what should i do my next lets play on? thanks.
Old 3 Weeks Ago, 06:58 AM
Vihanehiir

Hello!
I'm a gamer from Estonia, and i have a little question.
I would like to ask, if any of you guys and girls, would watch me playing Pokemon?
I would speedrun Pokemon Yellow, starting with 50 rare candy etc.
I wanted just to ask would any of you watch it ?

-Thanks, Vihanehiir.
Old 3 Weeks Ago, 11:38 PM
New Eden
Master Spork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihanehiir View Post
Hello!
I'm a gamer from Estonia, and i have a little question.
I would like to ask, if any of you guys and girls, would watch me playing Pokemon?
I would speedrun Pokemon Yellow, starting with 50 rare candy etc.
I wanted just to ask would any of you watch it ?

-Thanks, Vihanehiir.
People come and go across the board, so the most you can do is probably go for it and see what happens. I have a feeling some would rather see the somewhat official speedrun strats though (meaning you go through the whole game with a Nidoking) but that's just me.
Old 6 Days Ago, 01:53 PM
Th3proassassin

Hi, I'm Th3ProAssassin

I create pokemon gaming videos on youtube and i wanted to do something different so i was thinking would it be a good idea to start a pokemon shiny gold x nuzlocke randomizer?
please let me know as i think this idea would be very entertaining.

Thanks
Th3ProAssassin
Old 6 Days Ago, 11:18 PM
New Eden
Master Spork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3proassassin View Post
Hi, I'm Th3ProAssassin

I create pokemon gaming videos on youtube and i wanted to do something different so i was thinking would it be a good idea to start a pokemon shiny gold x nuzlocke randomizer?
please let me know as i think this idea would be very entertaining.

Thanks
Th3ProAssassin
I would actually think twice about doing a nuzlocke randomizer of any sort. You'll hit a harsh wall eventually (AKA no water Pokemon but you need surf.) However, if you wanna go ahead and do that, then by all means make it happen.

Also I have developed a guide for usage of Open Broadcaster Software. I never exactly finished it but I do believe it does give enough to get people started. Y'all can find it here.

Sponsored Links