• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VOTE: mobile app and/or mobile skins

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I would be happy with just an app to be honest. It would be nice to see more skins, but I would just love to see that app first, then if it is popular, skins could be developed.

I would buy this as SOON as it would be developed.​

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I think an app for the Android sounds fantastic! Even if we have to pay for it, it still sounds amazing. I'm not that certain with these mobile skins, though. I think an app is sufficient for now.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
All iPod/iPhone apps work on an iPad, it is just stretched to fit the screen.

Of course, but I want to know if the app can also work iPad specifica and take advantage of half the space used up on my lap XD

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
Oh this would be interesting to have for PC. I usually go to PC on my Iphone whenever my computer isn't working so this would be great for me and I wouldn't mind paying $1.99 for it. I voted for both, mobile skin and app.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Skins, cause my phone can't use apps, so...

Either way going along with both as others have said.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Even though I dont see the point of a mobile skin. PC runs fine on my ipod ..which I just found. But my phone has terrible internet. and also mobile theme or what. it dosent work well xD
Just saying mobile themes, are they worth the coding? Well that can be used towards the app to but what ev.
Plus my phone dont do app's. but i got a ipod. oh wait i said that. xD

Speed

Skyward
Years
Both, for those with an iPhone and and Android phone who are willing to pay a small amount (I wouldn't mind) and skins for those that can't use apps.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
Years
Having both would be nice, although if you guys need to choose one or the other, I prefer the dedicated Apps.

Zet

Years
No WP7 app? Just skins then please.

Though I suppose I could develop it, but it would require a great amount of focus and dedication from me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Not everyone has an iOS or Android device, but mostly everyone has a mobile phone. I would prefer a dedicated style (and wouldn't mind contributing to develop one) over an app for that very reason, but both would be nice for those who do have those devices.

No matter what, however, I feel a mobile style should be something that's implemented whether a consensus is made to make it or not.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
I'd say both would be the best option for mobile users of any platform. However if there was any chance of a web based app that you could use (and similarly save as an app itself on the homescreen) could possibly work even better than trying to submit multiple versions to different app stores.

Melody

Banned
Years
Lightning: push notification is planned, but not avail on the intial release ver..

if things go right, we will offer two versions on each platform.. a paid for app with no ads and a free one with very annoying ads in it.

You could Ad power the free version and leave a few features out of this version easily. The paid version could be fancier, with more support, no ads and all the planned features.

I really like the idea of a mobile App anyways. Not only could we make the paid app cost a buck or two to offset the cost of getting it out there, but once that pays for itself, we can release the free version and such. Personally I'd pay as much as $5 USD for the app, anyways if any of the proceeds is going towards buying server power...which is another way the app can generate revenue without putting us (hopefully) in the profitable zone we seem to be avoiding because it's a legal minefield.

I think you could use something like the AdMob SDK for the Android/iPhone to power the ads system. The ads can be "annoying" but they shouldn't inhibit the use of the app too much. :p

The mobile style is fine too, if the app turns out to be too demanding to upkeep. I really know the App would need upkeep to ensure it's constantly compatible with PC, and the Android version would need upkeep to respond to individual phone issues. (Force Closes, because some Android phones come with a lot of manufacturer apps that could conflict potentially.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think the app is a good idea, even if you have to pay.

Another good idea is having a free version for people who don't want to pay.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 24, 2011
I would really love having a PC app for my iphone as I tend to surf in my iphone when I'm too lazy crawling just to get to my computer or my butt hurts so much cause of sitting while hitting the refresh button for new topics and trades...

Voted: Both skin and app (apple/android)

EDIT - I hope its free though :3

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
PC works fine on my phone so I'll have to go with Skin, perhaps to make mobile browsing easier. The thing is, I don't want you guys spending to make an app then it doesn't do so well :*

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Haha I was just thinking about a PC app a week ago, since none of the themes are really good for mobiles.. I'd say focus on a good theme for mobiles, then an app if demand is high enough.

Just a thought, there's probably no way to make this a perk for the highest donator tier is there? I'd be willing to donate more than just the app cost ($2 like you were saying) and just get to Tier 5 if it were up there.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'd say go with both. Developing the skins would be easy enough to do, and could help alleviate some of the stress phones have with loading the forums. I know mine tends to lack something awful with all that needs to load.

But the app would be great. I wouldn't mind paying for one in order to access the forums easier. It'll mean that I can get on more often, especially if there's extra features like VM/PM/(report?) notifications.

But right now, I'd say focus on the skins, especially since those would be easier to add. Then, if there's a demand for the app and people think it's worth it, develop the app.

Fiendly

Never let go.
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
I voted the app.
Applications would look a lot more neater than the mobile skins, in my opinion.

You could always have people buying the app to help donate back to the community while have a free version on this website so if people can't bring cash inflow, they can still support it without advertisements!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back