• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver] Emulation Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I've been using the fix that is on page 14 I think and it works perfectly but, I have one problem. I'm at the lake of rage and I captured the red gyrados already but, Lance won't show up. Is there a code I can use to make him show up or to progress through the game? I was using an AR code then when I captured him though.
He should appear anyway o.O This is weird...
Do you have save state before the Lake of Rage?

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2024
Sadly no. But, I didn't get the red scale either when I caught it so I think if I just get the red scale it could trigger the next event which is seeing lance.

Nevermind, I just had to use the walk through walls code to go down the stairs at that base. But, I'm not the only one who had this problem I think. I looked on a AR code site and there were at least five others who requested a code to rebattle the red gyrados to try to make it work.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
Hey everyone.
Just posting to let you know about my experience emulating Soul Silver.
After many unsuccessful attempts running it on Desmume I decided to try using NO$ with the codes that Shadowed Team has provided above and for my surprise the game is running smooth at 100%!
I'm using the lastest release of NO$, which comes with the WinDS emulator bundle. Using only the default settings.

Specs: Core i7 1.6, Win7 x64, 4GB Ram DDR-3, GPU GeForce GT 230-M.

Btw it's also running with many other programs at the same time, whereas I had to close everything else to get 15-20 fps with desmume.
Hope this helps somebody and thanks alot for the codes Shadowed Team!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Yes, Soul Silver/Heart Gold are playable (and I must say better playable) on No$ but that's the last of the line.
Anything which came after HG/SS does not work properly on No$.
I found that out when I tried to play Explorers of Sky. It did work but No$ wasn't able to save so it was unplayable =)
So for anything "younger" than HG/SS, use DeSmuME =)

faospark

web Developer
Years
Hey everyone.
Just posting to let you know about my experience emulating Soul Silver.
After many unsuccessful attempts running it on Desmume I decided to try using NO$ with the codes that Shadowed Team has provided above and for my surprise the game is running smooth at 100%!
I'm using the lastest release of NO$, which comes with the WinDS emulator bundle. Using only the default settings.

Specs: Core i7 1.6, Win7 x64, 4GB Ram DDR-3, GPU GeForce GT 230-M.

Btw it's also running with many other programs at the same time, whereas I had to close everything else to get 15-20 fps with desmume.
Hope this helps somebody and thanks alot for the codes Shadowed Team!
did you try to force run Desmume with at least 2 cores running it. you have a high RAM use it to your advantage. take note also of your graphics chip in windows 7 softrasterizer is the solution as this setting is compatible with the default graphics chip of windows 7 and windows vista if its still slow find a compatible graphics chip for OpenGl. its opens source so its readily available and for download, by default windows 7 only has OpenGl 1.1 you need at least version 3 or higher

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Desmume is for whatever reason is more of a performance hog. It runs slower, but I still prefer to use it because I do not get the freezing issue. I run Soul Silver at around 70FPS when I am not limiting it on Desmume, it is nearly three times faster in No$GBA.

The only problem I have is that Desmume won't pick up the save file. I have to go through an entire process just to save. I have to save in game, export the save file, open it up in No$ and re-save then import that save file into Desmume just for it to recognize the save. Any fix for this?

faospark

web Developer
Years
Desmume is for whatever reason is more of a performance hog. It runs slower, but I still prefer to use it because I do not get the freezing issue. I run Soul Silver at around 70FPS when I am not limiting it on Desmume, it is nearly three times faster in No$GBA.

The only problem I have is that Desmume won't pick up the save file. I have to go through an entire process just to save. I have to save in game, export the save file, open it up in No$ and re-save then import that save file into Desmume just for it to recognize the save. Any fix for this?

why fix something that is not Broken?

if my memory serves me right, Unique extension names are required for any type of files that is produced by a particular software that is being developed/processed and or released under any particular type of licence/s, one extension name for a file must have a unique type of structure or compression because all developers are required to do so under the license that their product is under . the .SAV file was conversely accepted by emulator developers as the as default standard extension name for nds(even in gba emulators) for the simple basic reason that the file structure is uncompressed and identical to the original filetype that was developed by Gamefreak and Nintendo under their own terms and own license (they are a huge company) . I believe No$gba was never released under a particular type of license but rather a product of one individual who stopped the emulator's development since 2008. on the other hand desmume is released under GNU General Public License (GPL) which requires the developers to make their own unique name extension. even though the .dsv and .sav files has almost the same size, structurally wise they are different .

just a trivia, before as in not long ago,the import function of the .sav file was not a featured function on desmume , on its original releases way back probably before 0.9.5 (im not really that certain) you just cant import the .sav file like what desmume has now, it will require you to use a different software in order for you to convert the .sav file and replace the file on your battery folder. so therefore we must be thankful the developers that actually made it possible to import .sav files on later releases of desmume. this entire sequence import export process is actually crucial/ important in desmume's development as the main purpose of exporting the game save to .sav serves as a back-up file for your .dsv just incase you lost or messed it up. it was was crucial because the developers may have not perfected another feature of desmume and that is save states. before save states was not as reliable as they are today.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2014
I just want to know if my computer can run Pokemon HGSS, or BW for that matter. I'm using a laptop.

Specs:

Gateway MX6445
AMD turion(tm) 64 mobile
Technology ML-34
1.79 GHz 1.93 Gigs of RAM.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2012
Can someone please help me? It works (almost) perfect. I say almost because every time I K.O. a pokemon I freeze. Heeelp QQ

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
keeps freezing

I am using desmume 0.9.8 for Heart Gold. In one rom, the game freezes in bellsprout tower when I face a monk on the last level. The pokeballs keep spinning and the music plays.
In a different rom, after I beat bellsprout tower and exit to Violet City, most areas are blacked out. When I load my save, the game will freeze after exiting the tower. Are there any patches that could fix these problems? Also, I save with save states instead of in-game, if that helps.

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013
Hey guys,

After reading through this thread i have come to the conclusion that nobody knows how to fix the problem that makes the game unplayable after the 4th gym. So i have now decided to switch my save file from no$gba 2.6a to desume to see if that works. One problem i can't find the battery and slot folder where the save file is located!!!!!! I don't know what's wrong, i have re-downloaded no$gba multiple times and i don't get either folder, HELP!!!!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Hey guys,

After reading through this thread i have come to the conclusion that nobody knows how to fix the problem that makes the game unplayable after the 4th gym. So i have now decided to switch my save file from no$gba 2.6a to desume to see if that works. One problem i can't find the battery and slot folder where the save file is located!!!!!! I don't know what's wrong, i have re-downloaded no$gba multiple times and i don't get either folder, HELP!!!!
And have you tried to play the game on DeSmuME anew?

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013

And have you tried to play the game on DeSmuME anew?

as in start the game over on desume? If so, yes i know that works but i don't want to start the game over if i don't have to.........

some guy on emu forums told me to follow the instructions in his sig which are

"I guess you'd need to check back a few pages now, so, I'll give you a rundown:
1) You need firmware.bin, ndsbios7.rom and ndsbios9.rom. You can dump them from your DS.
2) You need rudolf's patch from this thread. This is the eighth time this link was provided in this thread alone, BTW.
3) You have to either set the Reset/Startup point to GBA BIOS or use the AR code in the linked thread above.
4) You need to set your NDS backup media (F11) to Flash 512k or Auto.
5) Turn on sound emulation, under F11 as well. You can still mute the game with the No$Zoomer option.
6) You need to either start the game using No$Zoomer, or encrypt the ROM with eNDryptS Advanced, available here. "

Im trying to follow all the steps but it is really confusing for me as i am not an expert at this. I still have to find a way to get all three files from step 1. Step 2 says to put the ROM on the patch.......then what, i can compress them into an archive. Finally, #6 makes no sense to me, i downloaded encrypts then i don't know what to do next. Im probably going to give up on this I'm too much of a newb...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back