• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Recolours and Fusions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vednix

:D
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 13, 2010
In reply to the above post:

Please save as PNG! When uploading as a bitmap, it can give them the quality of a JPEG (if your using photobucket). I tend to copy sprites onto paint so i can see them up close, and ti doesnt work with JPEG becuase the pixels are all over the place and it looks horrible, so save as PNG

FireTears

Animator and Artist
Years
Most of your sprites are fusions and recolours, I don't see any sprites here scratched by yourself. Fusions aren't allowed in your sprite thread, you post them in the Fusions Sprite showcase thread.

I see you don't take the time to redo the shading on your revamps nor do you take the time to reshade the outlines. You use too much black in the outlines. Same aplies to the recolours, recolour the outlines.

The black recolours are disgustingly dark x.x No sprites use such dark shades of black. They use a dark grey for the highlights and a darker gray for the shading. Never use pure black when shading.

Best thing to do is to observe official Pokemon sprites ^^

Jesus of Suburbia

I Wrote Holden Caulfield
Years
Now your really pissing me off. I do recolor the outlines. I have't found the time to do any scratches. I do tak time to shade my revamp, exception with Karen's hair which I could not make work. And lastly, the only sprite that I used pure black on is the Clair recolor and the MissingNo. revamp becuz that's how they colored in g/s/c and I couldn't find the right color so I used the color just below black. Spriting expert my ass.

End, Zack

Last edited:

FireTears

Animator and Artist
Years
Now your really pissing me off. I do recolor the outlines. I have't found the time to do any scratches. I do tak time to shade my revamp, exception with Karen's hair which I could not make work. And lastly, the only sprite that I used pure black on is the Clair recolor and the MissingNo. revamp becuz that's how they colored in g/s/c and I couldn't find the right color so I used the color just below black. Spriting expert my ass.

End, Zack

No, you don't recolour the outlines. recolouring doesn't just mean to replace one solid color with another, you also have to add colors as well. if one sprite's hair is black and you recolour it green, you also have to recolour the dark black outline with a darker shade of green. Your shading still needs work. You understand lighting, but you don't understand perspective and the Pokemon style (shading is really hard to explain, like I said, observe Pokemon sprites). And even if you don't use pure black, the black shades are still too dark. Check Houndoom and shiny charizard for instance.

I used pure black on is the Clair recolor and the MissingNo. revamp becuz that's how they colored in g/s/c

If you say to take the time to recolour them, then you also must know that you have to forget the idea of how they colored it and recolor within the black.

Example of what I mean. Compare them.

editsm.png

btw, I rushed on these so they don't look as good, but gives you an idea of what i mean. Also, I have no idea what Clair wears, so don't say anything about her clothing.

Spriting expert my ass.

If you don't appreciate criticism, then don't post your sprites. You cannot possibly expect praise everytime you post artwork. A real artist takes the advice and try to improve.

Also, you have no right to post if you don't follow rules. Fusions are not allowed to be posted here.

Last edited:

Vednix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 13, 2010
well, to be honest TFIIB, he is right.

You should never make a whole outline using black, or else the shading doesn't really work with it. I take this for instance:
attachment.php

You clearly have black outlines at the top. look closer.

You say you revamp G/S/C sprites, but that doesn't mean you keep the same shading in places. even though in G/S/C they have black outline around it, your revamping to D/P or FR/LG standard, so you want the shading to be much like the shading of FR/LG or D/P standards. so black outlines all aroudn is a big no no. So you want darker shades of the base colour around the top and in other places. I'm no expert, but that's how they should look.

Also, don't have a go at somebody who is trying to help with making your sprites better. As FT said, don't expect tons and tons of praise for your sprites, instead, expect critisism and try to improve on your sprites. Then, you get the praise, much like FT does. So there. Take into account what people say about your sprites, and that'll give you room to improve.

Also, he is right about fusions. they should go in the Fusions sticky.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Wow TFIIB, you sure are being rude to someone who is offering assistance. If you can't recognise the genuine criticism of your work, and even worse, can't accept it, then you probably shouldn't show your work to anyone.

Anyway, these are pretty much just fusions and recolours, and there's already a sticky for that, so I'll be merging this thread with it.

Vednix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 13, 2010
good idea Amachi, we could do wihtout the clutter of threads for fusions.

Jesus of Suburbia

I Wrote Holden Caulfield
Years

You. Don't. Get. It. Clair is in g/s/c style. Not fr/lg, Not d/p, g/s/c. Clair should not - not - look like that. Compare, View attachment 48454. I used << that to recolor Clair, official g/s/c sprites use plain black, and I did not intend to revamp it. Sure you made Karen better, but I admitted it wuz horrible anyway, enough said. You screwed up Manaphy. When recoloring, you don't use colors that aren't from the sprite your recoloring to. Doesn't that make sense?? Also, I had no clue that you meant I didn't recolor the outlines on those, but who cares, three little sprites out of how many??

PBFHDude

Fire Type Trainer
Years
Chicoquil.png

I named this one Chicoquil for obvious reasons. I'd been chucking this one around for a while, making more and more versions. I thknk this is the final one, but I might change the fire colour.

Luxeon.png

This has to be my pride and joy. I spent about an hour on this making it perfect and I love it to bits. It is named Luxeon.

These are my two favorites i like the way all the shading fits and the fusion is very smooth.

FireTears

Animator and Artist
Years
You. Don't. Get. It. Clair is in g/s/c style. Not fr/lg, Not d/p, g/s/c. Clair should not - not - look like that. Compare, View attachment 48454. I used << that to recolor Clair, official g/s/c sprites use plain black, and I did not intend to revamp it. Sure you made Karen better, but I admitted it wuz horrible anyway, enough said. You screwed up Manaphy. When recoloring, you don't use colors that aren't from the sprite your recoloring to. Doesn't that make sense?? Also, I had no clue that you meant I didn't recolor the outlines on those, but who cares, three little sprites out of how many??

I apologize about the Clair sprite, I thought at first you intended on doing a revamp of her (I don't play the old games nor do I look at the sprites much). And I thought you said you don't have the time to scratch sprites?

When recoloring, you don't use colors that aren't from the sprite your recoloring to.

But that is what a recolour is. You change the colors of a sprite to a new color and replace the shades.

And those 3 sprites were only examples of what I mean, there were others that the rules applied to as well. I don't intend to totally redo all your sprites you know.

Last edited:

Vednix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 13, 2010
Flaretailtoryana.gif

Some one plz comment on this one.
Be as cruel as u want i just need some crit.

Hm. the lighting is comgin from two places places. on the body its coming from the front. on the tail it's coming form the back. other than that, an excellent fusion.

THanks for commenting on my sprites PBFHDude. Anything I can improve?

PBFHDude

Fire Type Trainer
Years
Hm. the lighting is comgin from two places places. on the body its coming from the front. on the tail it's coming form the back. other than that, an excellent fusion.

THanks for commenting on my sprites PBFHDude. Anything I can improve?

The only problem i can c is that on some of the fusions the tails dont look attached properly and of course the squirtledon but u sed u put it there for the sake of badness.

Thanks for the comment i'll go sort the shading out now.

Jesus of Suburbia

I Wrote Holden Caulfield
Years
I apologize about the Clair sprite, I thought at first you intended on doing a revamp of her (I don't play the old games nor do I look at the sprites much). And I thought you said you don't have the time to scratch sprites?

But that is what a recolour is. You change the colors of a sprite to a new color and replace the shades.

And those 3 sprites were only examples of what I mean, there were others that the rules applied to as well. I don't intend to totally redo all your sprites you know.

Oh, srry then. Well I learned that you don't replace the shades. I guess everyone haz a different way of doing things. What do you mean?? I didn't do a scratch sprite, if your reffering to the reocket then that's a g/s/c sprite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back