• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Oscars 2015

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016
Has anyone taken a look at this years nominations?

Probably the largest snub ever for Oscars was the no nomination of The Lego Movie for Best Animated Feature let alone Best Picture. I had it down as a shoe in to win the Oscar yet it hasn't even been nominated WHUT

12188-thumb.gif

Years
They got a lot right, and a lot wrong. Cake/Jennifer Aniston got snubbed, no best director for Clint Eastwood, no best actor for Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler, no best actor for David Oyelowo, on top of the Lego Movie snub. Those were some of the most eyebrow raising ones, in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016
Another one I noted was no Interstellar nomination for Best Cinematography it was the main thing it had was that it looked stunning
Interstellar-Featurette-Kip-Thorne.jpg

And yet it gets nominated for Best Sound Mixing.....

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
a) no Lego Movie for animated feature
b) no Gone Girl for best picture
c) no Interstellar for cinematography
d) no Joaquin Phoenix for best actor (for Inherent Vice)
e) no Gone Girl for best score

the biggest snubs for me. (there's probably a few I'm forgetting.) however I'm pleased to see Whiplash up for best picture, and J.K. Simmons up for best supporting actor.

ALSO I don't think Interstellar deserves very much outside of best score and cinematography. I'm not denying that I enjoyed it (which I did, immensely) but it's sooooo manipulative, the acting's kinda wooden for the most part (not awful but still not great), and it seems like Nolan has never heard an actual human conversation before. so I kinda get it.

Years
I have to admit that in recent years these Oscars nominations have been very snub-heavy, such as the aforementioned examples with Jennifer Aniston, Clint Eastwood and The Lego Movie above. The latter being very jarring given how well received it got, but then again I know how Disney-biased the Best Animated Feature Film category tends to be (most of its previous winners were Disney films) so it will be no surprise if it continues again.

And despite the Best Picture category allowing 10 nominees they somehow broke that trend since that change and instead went for 8 nominees instead. Seriously, I think there will be a lot of flaws here given what Aphrodite mentioned about the severe lack of female or "black" nominees in categories barring Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress.

Years
B7dg0hjCIAAGr6I.png

A handy little graphic from the Telegraph's twitter, if any of you are interested.

This is the one major grudge I have against the Oscars. The nominations are always heavily biased towards men and white people, in fact I heard most of this year's nominations are very eerily similar to 1995, which also had the nominees dominated by men and white people.

Also, I have a gut feeling Big Hero 6 will win Best Animated Feature given the huge bias towards Disney in that category's track record. Last year, everyone knew Frozen was going to win, and it did. Trust me, if you ever see a Disney film nominated there, it will pretty much be near guaranteed to win unless if the film in question was super-duper terrible.

And well done Meryl Streep for breaking her record and landing a 19th Oscars nomination for Best Supporting Actress, this time for her role as the Witch in Into The Woods. Aside from that, I don't really see any runaway winners so it will be tough contention compared to most previous Oscars events.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
After I looked at the list of the Oscar nominations, I agree that the biggest snub was The Lego Movie not being one of the nominations for Best Animated Feature. The only thing it got a nomination for was in Best Original Song. Also for Visual Effects, there is a 60% chance of a Marvel movie winning since three of the nominations were Marvel movies.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It's not just the LEGO Movie that's getting snubbed, summer blockbusters always get snubbed by the Oscars every year, which is the biggest one of them all, so this year is no different. They never allow those films branch out into other nominees outside of Visual Effects. Not every nominee has to be R/PG-13 rated Drama movies, people, because pop culture usually focus on summer blockbusters to determine whether or not the Moviepocalypse is coming.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016
It's not just the LEGO Movie that's getting snubbed, summer blockbusters always get snubbed by the Oscars every year, which is the biggest one of them all, so this year is no different. They never allow those films branch out into other nominees outside of Visual Effects. Not every nominee has to be R/PG-13 rated Drama movies, people, because pop culture usually focus on summer blockbusters to determine whether or not the Moviepocalypse is coming.
I think the trouble is most academy members are 55+ and there for drama oscar bait movies are always going to be a massive hit and be completely out of touch with todays movie goers and todays viewing habbits. I am not saying films like Transformers deserve nominations but the likes of Gone Girl, Guardians Of The Galay should of seen themselves nominated for best picture (even if they dont win) and Shailene Woodley for TFIOS should have deserved a nominated for Best Actress even if its a token.

Its about time more younger academy members were able to vote instead of the same old guard times have simply moved on and they havent

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
re: non-whites and females, the problem is not rooted in the Oscars but in the film industry itself. I think it's kind of silly to complain about the Oscars seeming to snub people of color and women when it may just be because of the fact that, to be blunt, men may have, overall, done more/better things. I'm not saying there's not a problem of some sort -- there is, but I think it's being overstated by a lot.

please don't hurt me for writing this

Jayce

x-kid
Years
re: non-whites and females, the problem is not rooted in the Oscars but in the film industry itself. I think it's kind of silly to complain about the Oscars seeming to snub people of color and women when it may just be because of the fact that, to be blunt, men may have, overall, done more/better things. I'm not saying there's not a problem of some sort -- there is, but I think it's being overstated by a lot.

please don't hurt me for writing this

You're right about the problem being rooted in the industry itself, but it does still bothers me how dominated the Oscar nominations are by men and white people. Women and people of color aren't given the same opportunities and recognition in film and television, and this fact is reflected in which people are nominated for big awards. The awards alone aren't the main issue, of course, but they're still a symptom of a larger problem going on in the industry, if that makes sense, so I think it's fair for people to be upset about it.

Anyway, I'm happy to see Boyhood and The Grand Budapest Hotel nominated, both were great films. Also happy about Selma, I haven't seen it personally yet but I really want to and I've heard great things.

Back