• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The NFL 2014-2015 season

Lord Raven

Gummi Bears
Years
I ventured into the football thread and almost posted something about how terrifying it is to potentially see a 6-10 team in the playoffs this year but thankfully I stopped myself when I didn't see anyone talking about it.

At any rate, I'm a Ravens fan celebrating a huge win over the Saints last night, bumping us up to 2nd in the division over those damned Steelers and Browns. Still REALLY salty about those two Bengals games but its not like we've never been swept by them before...

I'd also like to point out that the NFC South is on historic pace. This isn't the good kind of history; I think we're getting ready to see one of the worst divisions in NFL History. We saw the '11 AFC West and the '10 NFC West but they don't seem to compare to this nonsense... a 2-9 team that is almost as far removed from the #1 overall pick as they are from being atop their division and a 4-7 team leading the division because every single one of their wins were divisional matchups - they are 0-7 outside of it.

Meanwhile, in the AFC, we have the Patriots who seem to have a firm grasp on their division (but could see some struggles coming up) but the Broncos losing their stronghold and the Bengals/Ravens/Browns/Steelers duking it out. Meanwhile the Chiefs/Chargers/Dolphins/even the frickin Bills are gunning for that wild card spot with the Texans in the periphery.

Here are the standings for reference (strikeouts mean eliminated from the playoffs, red means on the verge of elimination);

AFC West
1. New England Patriots (9-2)
2. Miami Dolphins (6-5)
3. Buffalo Bills (6-5)
4. New York Jets (2-9)

AFC North
1. Cincinnati Bengals (7-3-1)
2. Baltimore Ravens (7-4)
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4)
4. Cleveland Browns (7-4)

AFC South
1. Indianapolis Colts (7-4)
2. Houston Texans (5-6)
3. Tennessee Titans (2-9)
4. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-10)

AFC West
1. Denver Broncos (8-3)
2. Kansas City Chiefs (7-4)
3. San Diego Chargers (7-4)
4. Oakland Raiders (1-10)

NFC West
1. Arizona Cardinals (9-2)
2. Seattle Seahawks (7-4)
3. San Francisco 49ers (7-4)
4. St. Louis Rams

NFC North
1. Green Bay Packers (7-4)
2. Detroit Lions (7-4)
3. Chicago Bears (5-6)
4. Minnesota Vikings (4-7)

NFC East
1. Philadelphia Eagles (8-3)
2. Dallas Cowboys (8-3)
3. New York Giants (3-8)
4. Washington Redskins (3-8)

NFC South
1. Atlanta Falcons (4-7)
2. New Orleans Saints (4-7)
3. Carolina Panthers (3-7-1)
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-9)

Complete nonsense.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
So whats your point? If Atlanta or New Orleans somehow makes it to the playoffs with a losing record they wont make it far in the playoffs anyways, unless they strap up like Seattle did a couple years ago when they won their division against St. Louis entering the playoffs 7-9 and winning I believe 2 playoff games. I don't see Carolina or Tampa Bay making it period. The best record the tie breakers can have at this point is 9-7 but I highly doubt either of them will win out. The NFC West had a similar situation to this one a few seasons ago. Seattle and St. Louis both had losing records in week 17. St. Louis was 8-8 and lost to Seattle twice giving Seattle the division spotlight and a chance in the playoffs even tho they had a losing record.

Last edited:

Lord Raven

Gummi Bears
Years
What do you mean whats my point?

a) Saints looked like they would be a very strong team this year at some point, given their additions... that one surprises me but they are missing players in the secondary

b) a losing record in the playoffs = home field advantage. Regardless of their three game losing streak at home, if the Saints somehow manage to win the division and get a home game, then that's literally Seattle@NO all over again, cause the Superdome is about as hard to play in as Century Link.

c) history I guess, it's very interesting to talk about

On top of that, the state of the NFC south right now is a bit worse than the NFC West at this point in time. I think the NFC West had two 5-6 teams (Rams and Seahawks, both ended up 7-9 with tiebreaker going to the Rams) and a 4-7 team by Week 12 so it at least looked more like the 2011 AFC West than the NFC South right now.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Saints so far has had a tough schedule, all the teams they've lost against has a winning record, they aren't all that impressive this year anyways. I don't see them beating Pittsburgh this Sunday but I wouldn't be surprised if they win out after that. The rest of the way could potentially be a breeze for them since Atlanta's only beat teams with losing records and the NO game is at @NO instead of ATL. But first they need to get their confidence back up if they wanna be in the playoffs with a tied or winning record.

If all goes good for NO and they win out after next week then they'd be 8-8 going into the playoffs. But as I said, I doubt they'd make it any further. If they lose to Atlanta (if Atlanta continues to lose to other teams) and we see Seattle vs NO again then I don't see NO being able to pick up the win against Seattle, their too weak this season. The best team New Orleans has beat is the Packers (based on record) and even then the Packers haven't done anything impressive either.

Lord Raven

Gummi Bears
Years
I'm glad I'm not the only one not impressed by the Packers. Seems like a lot of beating up on weak teams while they struggled mightily against the Jets/Saints/Seahawks/Lions... and the Lions have no OL.

NO also seems to be unlucky at any rate but I don't see them winning out. Tampa came in and took their game in the dome into overtime, and the 49ers are a struggling team despite the record. I can see them picking up W's against Carolina and Atlanta but their secondary's just been weak this year that they can only really take games in a shootout. Brees hasn't even looked good this year because I guess Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs aren't as good at protecting that interior rush as they used to be (since Brees prefers interior protection over the tackles).

They've also lost Brandin Cooks for the season and many of Brees' picks have had a mix of bad timing and just have been bad throws, decisions, or both. I'm really not going to try and bet on who makes it out of this division alive.

btw what team do you root for?

Nyro

The Bug Master
Years
As a Ravens fan also (since 96), I am more looking forward to next season. Granted we can get a decent replacement at CB to put next to Jimmy Smith. Webb has been on the decline for a few years now. I think maybe Jackson can step up easily and Levine seems to be doing ok. Anyways if we don't make the playoffs this year we should easily make it next year.

Lord Raven

Gummi Bears
Years
Yeah I'm personally fuming about Jimmy being out. Will Hill is pretty solid though and it's looking like Gorrer/Levine are pretty solid for patchwork CBs - they could get better too. I'm also loving Terrence Brooks even though he played the ball like a moron against Colston the other day.

I hope we get a #1 receiver at any rate. Holy crap Flacco is dying for people to throw to.

Nyro

The Bug Master
Years
I think Pitta is done, Daniels is getting older also. We will need to pick up another decent free agent TE or draft another because we run a 2 TE system and Gilmore is the only one I see us keeping for a while.

Lord Raven

Gummi Bears
Years
Yeah Daniels is not our TE of even the near future, especially because he definitely missed one of our most important games of the season due to injury. Gillmore I'm hoping is turning out okay - he got a TD catch in garbage time earlier in the season and a few receptions.

I can see Kyle Jucyzcyk taking on a TE #2 spot though. He's really more of a Hybrid Back than a full back or a tight end. Of course, it would help to have an actual tight end as well as a receiver under the age of 30 that can run routes. Here's hoping Michael Campanaro can be the latter guy - seems like a Wes Welker in the making. (He's also from my area, I'm rooting for my hometown guy. He played running back for a high school team that torched my entire county year in and year out.)

Nyro

The Bug Master
Years
I am a fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but I am not happy about how their season has been going so far this year. Course I am quite happy with how the Seattle Seahawks have been doing this year. After all, they are my second favorite team.

Oh man TB fan...I feel bad for you too man. I bet you guys have a much better year next year though.

Lord Raven

Gummi Bears
Years
I am a fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but I am not happy about how their season has been going so far this year. Course I am quite happy with how the Seattle Seahawks have been doing this year. After all, they are my second favorite team.

Sorry to ask this question but:

Glennon or McCown?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Well since we're talking about favorite teams I guess I'll go ahead and say I'm a Cowboys fan, have been since I was 4. Used to live in Oklahoma City through elementary school and we didn't have cable so the Cowboys was the only team I watched. Been a fan since. Wasn't too happy about their performance last year and was disappointed at their terrible defense. Yeah, they could score points but their defense gave up more and they were the worst in the league with their defense so that's pretty embarrassing. This year it's looking good for them so far and I'm satisfied with their performance. 5th best offense and being placed 17th on defense so they're not all that bad this year compared to last; plus they got a winning record.

We're tied with the Eagles in the NFC East and I'm really hoping my team can pull it through tomorrow in Dallas on Thanksgiving. Barely beating the Giants last Sunday with very little time to cooperate having to face the Eagles which put a beating on the Titans. Guess time will tell.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
A fan of the Lions here, happy that they are finally having a season where they aren't setting any records for sucking so bad. Just saying, Matt Stafford is the best QB right now.

Also a Colts fan, but I've just not been too interested in them these past two years. The way they play just upsets me for some reason.

Years
Now I don't usually comment on football threads (even though I don't mind watching some games) but I must say, I was quite pleased with how the Eagles did in yesterday's game. They've been on a really good streak lately, and these last few games will hopefully do them well. Since Vick came back they've been doing considerably better than they did in '12.

Nyro

The Bug Master
Years
We lost to SD...son of a gun. This secondary is terrible they can't even close what should have been a cake situation.

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
Years
In reference to the OP, I truly hope after this season the NFL does away with winning a division gives you an automatic bid into the playoffs. Just like when the Seahawks made it at 7-9, you had a two 10-6 team that didn't because of that ****. Tampa in the NFC and New England in the AFC (because the AFC West was also bad with a 8-8 Broncos team making it).

It probably won't happen next year sadly, but they really need to take a long hard look at it. The most deserving teams should make, ie the teams with the better records. Not a team that can barely win a **** division.

Years
Bengals are like 8-3-1, but Dalton consistency plays like ass and I can't help but feel that he won't be a Bengal much longer, maybe a season or two more. There's too much talent on this roster to keep having great regular seasons (Except in games on primetime) only to completely collapse in the first round again against a team they should win.

Years
Titans fan here, this hasn't been a great season for us. Colts going to dominate the AFC South for years so long as Luck is there, and Watt is seriously the most dominant football player I've seen. And that's why I have little to no hope of the Titans doing anything these next 5-10 years.

In other news, I hope they consider some kind of re-alignment. There's a good chance an 11-5 team will miss the playoffs because someone has to make the postseason in the NFC South.

Back