• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
So today i battled some random person, at first i thought well she has a Kyogre and the rest of her team is crap so this should be peice of cake. I sent out banded Tyranitar and she sent out Kyogre. Drizzle went up fist, then sandstream. Note it incredibly hard to make Sheer Cold hit during sand storm. I go for the Stone Edge, and she goes straight for the Sheer Cold, it out speeds and HITS! KOd my Tyranitar, at first i was like Wtf (what the fuzzies) ;) then i thought, must jave been sheer "luck" lmao, so i sent out RegiRock, i go for the rock slide and she goes for Sheer Cold AGAIN! I was like no way! It hit again! Mind you this is in sand storm! I was like this has to be super lucky or super cheater, so i sent out my Steelix once again she goes straight for it, thank the gods since it had sturdy it wouldnt work but i would have hit again if i didnt, so super long story short is, could she be cheating or do you think that was legit bad luck?
Moved your thread into the X/Y Q&A thread.

It's possible that this person could've cheated, but it could also just be a case of bad luck, which is more common than you'd think in battle. Like Focus Blast having 70% accuracy but it seems to miss 60% of the time. I assume that your Pokemon and the opponent's Pokemon were the same level, but the accuracy of Sheer Cold could've been boosted by an item.

Also, Sandstorms don't effect Sheer Cold. They don't even effect Blizzard.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
So today i battled some random person, at first i thought well she has a Kyogre and the rest of her team is crap so this should be peice of cake. I sent out banded Tyranitar and she sent out Kyogre. Drizzle went up fist, then sandstream. Note it incredibly hard to make Sheer Cold hit during sand storm. I go for the Stone Edge, and she goes straight for the Sheer Cold, it out speeds and HITS! KOd my Tyranitar, at first i was like Wtf (what the fuzzies) ;) then i thought, must jave been sheer "luck" lmao, so i sent out RegiRock, i go for the rock slide and she goes for Sheer Cold AGAIN! I was like no way! It hit again! Mind you this is in sand storm! I was like this has to be super lucky or super cheater, so i sent out my Steelix once again she goes straight for it, thank the gods since it had sturdy it wouldnt work but i would have hit again if i didnt, so super long story short is, could she be cheating or do you think that was legit bad luck?
Watch this.

MKDW-WWWW-WWW9-33KT

Then you might understand that bad luck can be REALLY BAD.

BTW, my point is the last 15 turns, but watch the rest to get an idea of how things went.

Years
Moved your thread into the X/Y Q&A thread.

It's possible that this person could've cheated, but it could also just be a case of bad luck, which is more common than you'd think in battle. Like Focus Blast having 70% accuracy but it seems to miss 60% of the time. I assume that your Pokemon and the opponent's Pokemon were the same level, but the accuracy of Sheer Cold could've been boosted by an item.

Also, Sandstorms don't effect Sheer Cold. They don't even effect Blizzard.

Sorry for my noobishness, but also Sheer Cold has a 30% accuracy and a accuracy boost would not affect it enough to hit 3 times in a row. Also I was playing a single battle with normal rules. If it werent for sturdy she would'nt have won. Also the way I made the assumtion is when her team popped up she had Kyogre, and a bunch of small pokemon. And when she chose her pokemon she only chose Kyogre, she was definatly trying something.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Does anyone use Rattled? It seems like it could be a pretty good ability (although it would be way better is a psychic type could have it!) but it seems like most of the pokemon that know it are pre evolutions of something else that lose the ability at some point or (like Dunsparce) have much better abilities to choose from, so I just wanted to get some opinions on this ability in case I should re think any of the other pokemon that can learn it. Thanks!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Sorry for my noobishness, but also Sheer Cold has a 30% accuracy and a accuracy boost would not affect it enough to hit 3 times in a row. Also I was playing a single battle with normal rules. If it werent for sturdy she would'nt have won. Also the way I made the assumtion is when her team popped up she had Kyogre, and a bunch of small pokemon. And when she chose her pokemon she only chose Kyogre, she was definatly trying something.
There's really no way for us to tell if your opponent cheated or not. It could just be that your opponent was only using Sheer Cold Kyogre just to see how lucky she could could get. You may have had the misfortune of getting hit 2-3 times in a row with it. I've even heard stories of people getting swept by Fissure in the Battle Facilities. And there's also that video Cyclone posted.

Both cheating and pure luck are equally possible, but we just have no way to tell.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Is there something I'm not understanding about Dunsparce? IT seems like every moveset I see around the internet for it all have Rock SLide, Headbutt and otherwise moves that flinch the opponent. (with Serene Grace, I don't know why no one is suggesting Coil and Iron Tail in previous gens, it seems like it makes a ton of sense since they're already suggesting Coil which boosts accuracy, so Iron Tail with a 60% chance of lowering defence boosted by Coil Accuracy and power seems quite logical to me. Obviously not this gen since there's no move tutor to teach the move yet, but whatever) Why are so many movesets suggesting flinch moves, yet don't suggest anything to boost Dunsparce's speed (like Agility) doesn't the user need to be faster than the opponent in order for Flinch to work? Is this one of those strategies that work on paper but don't actually take into account the pokemon's stats or is there something I'm missing with all the flinch dunsparce based movesets?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Is there something I'm not understanding about Dunsparce? IT seems like every moveset I see around the internet for it all have Rock SLide, Headbutt and otherwise moves that flinch the opponent. (with Serene Grace, I don't know why no one is suggesting Coil and Iron Tail in previous gens, it seems like it makes a ton of sense since they're already suggesting Coil which boosts accuracy, so Iron Tail with a 60% chance of lowering defence boosted by Coil Accuracy and power seems quite logical to me. Obviously not this gen since there's no move tutor to teach the move yet, but whatever) Why are so many movesets suggesting flinch moves, yet don't suggest anything to boost Dunsparce's speed (like Agility) doesn't the user need to be faster than the opponent in order for Flinch to work? Is this one of those strategies that work on paper but don't actually take into account the pokemon's stats or is there something I'm missing with all the flinch dunsparce based movesets?
Don't they usually also include Glare or Thunder Wave? That's how you do flinch sets; the paralysis slows down the poke for you, and then you can abuse flinch effects with Serene Grace (and the paralysis chance helps too).

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 7, 2015
I have a question, not really sure if this is the right place to ask though

If I restart my game and change my location on my 3DS will I get a different Vivillion pattern. The one I have now is really ugly

Years

If I restart my game and change my location on my 3DS will I get a different Vivillion pattern. The one I have now is really ugly

If you want to change your game's Vivillon pattern you need to first delete your current save, choose a new region on the region settings and then start a new save file.

Reactions: Nah
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Don't they usually also include Glare or Thunder Wave? That's how you do flinch sets; the paralysis slows down the poke for you, and then you can abuse flinch effects with Serene Grace (and the paralysis chance helps too).

OH! THAT'S how they do it! I keep forgetting about the speed drop from paralysis! thanks, now it makes sense

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017

just remember, you are limited in what regions you can choose based on where your 3DS was purchased. There's certain region coding in the console itself and the 3DS only allows you to change your region to certain areas within that region so you can't set it to Germany if you bought it in North America, for example: http://en-americas-support.nintendo...w-to-change-the-system-country/region-setting

additionally, if you set it outside your country, you will lose access to the eShop until you change it back. Having said that however, having done this myself, you only need to (after erasing your save file) pick a new area within the region your 3DS was purchased in, and then START your pokemon game. Once you start, it doesn't matter WHERE you change your region settings to as the game will be permanently locked into the region it started in. (so if you do lose access to the eshop, once you change it back you will be good to go again.)

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 7, 2015
just remember, you are limited in what regions you can choose based on where your 3DS was purchased. There's certain region coding in the console itself and the 3DS only allows you to change your region to certain areas within that region so you can't set it to Germany if you bought it in North America, for example: http://en-americas-support.nintendo...w-to-change-the-system-country/region-setting

additionally, if you set it outside your country, you will lose access to the eShop until you change it back. Having said that however, having done this myself, you only need to (after erasing your save file) pick a new area within the region your 3DS was purchased in, and then START your pokemon game. Once you start, it doesn't matter WHERE you change your region settings to as the game will be permanently locked into the region it started in. (so if you do lose access to the eshop, once you change it back you will be good to go again.)

Thanks I didn't know this, I'll have to make a mental note to change it back after I restart my game

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Are we really sure about the frequency of how you get eggs from the Daycare center? I heard it was something like there's a % chance every 250-something steps or whatever, however, I have often gone by, the man had turned to give me an egg, I went in to drop the egg off in the PC and when I come out, he has another egg waiting for me, however, just now I went into the daycare, dropped my Pokemon off, walked immediately out the door and the man had an egg waiting for me, so is it really a % every so many hundreds of steps, or is it something else?

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
Are we really sure about the frequency of how you get eggs from the Daycare center? I heard it was something like there's a % chance every 250-something steps or whatever, however, I have often gone by, the man had turned to give me an egg, I went in to drop the egg off in the PC and when I come out, he has another egg waiting for me, however, just now I went into the daycare, dropped my Pokemon off, walked immediately out the door and the man had an egg waiting for me, so is it really a % every so many hundreds of steps, or is it something else?

Species | Original Trainer | Quote | Chance for Egg (with Oval Charm)

Same | Different | The two seem to get along very well! | 70% (88%)
Same | Same | The two seem to get along. | 50% (80%)
Different | Different | The two seem to get along. | 50% (80%)
Different | Same | The two don't really seem to like each other very much. | 20% (40%)
Different Egg Groups | The two prefer to play with other Pokémon more than with each other. | 0%

"When there are two compatible Pokémon in the Day Care, the game will periodically decide whether the Day-Care Man has found an Egg, with the chances depending on the compatibility of the two Pokémon as detailed in the section above. In Generation III and later, the game determines whether an Egg appears after every 256 steps the player takes, while in Generation II, it checks after every step."
Source for all this: Bulbapedia http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_breeding

I think you had already taken near 256 steps and when you took those steps into the Daycare it generated an egg from those steps. It's happened to me as well, I don't think it's every 256 steps you take while he hasn't got an Egg and compatible Pokémon are in the Daycare, I think it is every 256 steps you take while compatible Pokémon are in the Daycare regardless of if he's holding an egg and it will try to generate an egg (and obviously fail if the man is already holding one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back