• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Fourth Dimension

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
In a past thread I've made, I've touched upon the theory that these games might be based on dimensions, due to the nature of this game being based on the X, Y and possibly Z aspect. [click!]

However, while that thread has talked about dimensions in space, there was still one factor that involves X&Y, and in pokemon games in general, that was not touched upon. Time. Time is generally a theme in some pokemon games, and it fits the idea that it the theory about dimensions in X&Y can become apparent, since it is considered the "fourth dimension". However, rather than looking at time as a spacial aspect (because it shouldn't), let's look at it as a measure on physical change.

Time in pokemon has been a semi-recurring theme. In Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, we get to try out this machine in local pokemon centers called the Time Capsule. And of course, the time capsule allows the player to trade pokemon from Red, Blue, and Yellow. However, there was limitations. We also got to meet the little critter who loves to jump between time: Celebi. Fast forward to Gen 4, we met the Deity of Time, Dialga. But that's not all -- we actually got the chance to travel through time in HG, to a place where we saw Giovanni.

Now, what can this possibly mean for Pokemon X and Pokemon Y? What if time was a returning factor, or a main theme in these games? Should we get the chance to see history in the pokemon world unfold, as we get the chance to travel back through time? Is it possible to get future glimpses in the pokemon world if we got the chance to travel to the future? Could time play another factor in the mechanics of these new games as well? For example, timed events, certain time to find certain pokemon, and certain battles in a certain time? Do you have any other ideas on if or how time can play a factor?

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Even thought you seem to touch on alot of valid points there I think you're looking too much into the names of the games rather than the actual content, If you look at the pokemon games from the past they touch of the legendary pokemon within or pokemon who represent those games, For example; Yellow is a Pikachu, Diamond is a Dialga ect.

It would be nice to see some new features in pokemon such as a pokemon that can alternate from dimensions/worlds ect, but coming from a childs point of view which is who the games are supposed to be for I really wouldn't see them doing something this complex, especially as X/Y are risky enough being a new game on the 3DS.

As for the mentioning of where you can time travel within the pokemon games I think they are more a novelty rather than any actual influence to future games, the time capsules only serve the same purpose as the Poke Transfer in Gen 5 and that's just to simply trade pokemon from previous generations. Dialga of time shouldn't of been the only point you touched on though as you also meet Palkia of space and the dimensions X/Y/Z work only for space and not for time.

You mention certain times for catching pokemon but in gen 4+ this has been apparent where during the days you can catch some pokemon more than others anyway, but it would be nice to see the addition of a time lapse sort of like in the Anime with the Illumise and Volbeat episode, where you get certain swarms depending on how far you go back and to what location you go to, but as I said before that would just be too much effort for game freak when they already have swarms of pokemon and again touching on the subject that the game is intended for children and may be a little too hard for them to understand how to travel to and from the past.

I like the points you brought up in this thread though you make quite a few valid points however you seemed to a little confused about X/Y/Z dimensions they work majorly only with space and not with time as time has no contrasting effect on space in the way you are trying to portray it, Obviously if you time traveled in a game you would be see different things because of things changing but you wouldn't change you co-ordinates completely, you would be in the same place but just in another time frame.

The novelty of time travel I feel should be kept away from the games as It would make the series too much like already existing games such as The Legend of Zelda, Achron and a majority of Final Fantasy games. Again 2 of which being from the Japanese region already it just seems to much like jumping upon the band wagon of time travel!

Was a nice read though! :D Obviously I am not going to flame what you said as I mentioned several times you did make some interesting points, I just think it's not very plausible.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
This is very interesting.Maybe somehow we would be able to go back in time and actually see how pokemon came to be and something that would relate to Xerneas and Yveltal being related to DNA or genes or whatever and the creation of pokemon?Maybe some sort of paradox where Yeveltal and Xerneas would go back in time and actually be the reason for the creation of pokemon due to them being related to DNA somehow.

And speaking of time travelling, maybe we could go back in time and actually catch prehistoric pokemon rather than reviving fossils.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
This is very interesting.Maybe somehow we would be able to go back in time and actually see how pokemon came to be and something that would relate to Xerneas and Yveltal being related to DNA or genes or whatever and the creation of pokemon?Maybe some sort of paradox where Yeveltal and Xerneas would go back in time and actually be the reason for the creation of pokemon due to them being related to DNA somehow.

And speaking of time travelling, maybe we could go back in time and actually catch prehistoric pokemon rather than reviving fossils.

Well if you went back in time you wouldn't be able to obtain fossils, obviously depending how far you went back but if we look at what you said about Prehistoric pokemon than you would have to travel around 300 hundred million years into the past in order to catch certain prehistoric pokemon, which just seems ridiculous in my opinion!

Again if they had some sort of easter egg in the game where Celebi asks you for help and she takes you back in time fair enough, but actually making it a large portion of a game would become too repetitive of what other games have done already!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I like the points you brought up in this thread though you make quite a few valid points however you seemed to a little confused about X/Y/Z dimensions they work majorly only with space and not with time as time has no contrasting effect on space in the way you are trying to portray it, Obviously if you time traveled in a game you would be see different things because of things changing but you wouldn't change you co-ordinates completely, you would be in the same place but just in another time frame.

Remember that I'm not talking about the XYZ Dimensions; I'm talking about a theory that derives from that, which is the theory of time, or what is reffered to as the "fourth dimension". But yes, obviously time will contrast things a bit differently.

Here's a side question: will we get to interfere with the past events of older generations of games?

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Remember that I'm not talking about the XYZ Dimensions; I'm talking about a theory that derives from that, which is the theory of time, or what is reffered to as the "fourth dimension". But yes, obviously time will contrast things a bit differently.

Here's a side question: will we get to interfere with the past events of older generations of games?

Memory linking was a great aspect brought into Black and White 2, I would love to see some sort of Generation interference within the new games, However as I mention before they can't go to wild with how they want to portray things within X and Y tampering with certain events would be a weird aspect and might not even make 100% sense depending on what kind of a storyline they introduce. More to the point though being able to see certain events such as the creation of Mewtwo? Who knows what Game Freak has to offer us in the games to come all we do know is that they're are trying to go the extra mile to make the games more appealing.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It could be quite possible that the games would be based on the dimensions as well as genetics, but it would be quite possible that the only Pokémon that would represent the dimensions... would be the ones from Generation IV, which are Dialga, Palkia and Giratina.

But I wouldn't be surprised if traveling through time did make a re-appearance in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Knowing that it has been rather common in previous games... and who knows? Dialga might be able to take you backwards or forwards in time at a certain event or something, like if the Dialga was an event one or something.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Here's another topic with time: What about age?

Would we see the protagonist age over time? Or maybe see the pokemon age over time? What could that effect to? Because well, seeing on how the protagonist is always at a set age from the old pokemon games, maybe the protagonist can age... whenever we age our selves? (ie our birthdays?)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Hmm this is an interesting point you've brought up. As for the protagonists ageing, I could see a possibility of that. I believe this because there is evidence, let's take the original protagonist of the Pokemon series from R/B/Y, Red. In the original games, he was stated to be 10 years of age. In FR/LG he was reported to be 16, so I can't see why the other protagonists can't age as well. Although the idea of the protagonist and your birthday is definitely interesting.

As for time events in X and Y perhaps you'll have a vision of the future? A new time-based Pokemon perhaps? Anything could happen really. :3

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Hmm this is an interesting point you've brought up. As for the protagonists ageing, I could see a possibility of that. I believe this because there is evidence, let's take the original protagonist of the Pokemon series from R/B/Y, Red. In the original games, he was stated to be 10 years of age. In FR/LG he was reported to be 16, so I can't see why the other protagonists can't age as well. Although the idea of the protagonist and your birthday is definitely interesting.
When was that ever said? I don't think FRLG ever gave the player character's age.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, Red is 16 in the FR/LG edition of the pokemon manga, and according to bulbapedia, he's presumably 11 in the FR/LG games, but, yeah, I don't think there was an official statement about his age in the games. It'd be nice to actually know the real protagonist age this time around, actually; maybe if the protagonist was as old as you are, maybe we can relate to the protagonist more?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
... Yeah, things in the manga rarely have any bearing on the games. And having the protagonist's age match the player's seems like a good idea, but it would get awkward pretty quickly for older players. How's a kid who looks no more than 15 supposed to be 20 or 30?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Honestly I doubt that time is going to have a large effect on the games. That was already tackled with DPP and the games don't usually recycle a theme like that over again. However I love the interpretation of X/Y being the coordinate plane instead of genetics, but I don't see how much else outside of time and space that Nintendo/Game Freak could do without repeating the 4th Generation.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
... Yeah, things in the manga rarely have any bearing on the games. And having the protagonist's age match the player's seems like a good idea, but it would get awkward pretty quickly for older players. How's a kid who looks no more than 15 supposed to be 20 or 30?

Well, yeah, that's true, but, maybe in that case, there can be customizable options for that? Hm.

Honestly I doubt that time is going to have a large effect on the games. That was already tackled with DPP and the games don't usually recycle a theme like that over again. However I love the interpretation of X/Y being the coordinate plane instead of genetics, but I don't see how much else outside of time and space that Nintendo/Game Freak could do without repeating the 4th Generation.

Well, when I thought about how X and Y might have something to do with time, at first I thought that the storyline could be a continuation of Gen 4's story line. But then again, there's a better chance that Game Freak want's to keep things fresh. So yes, I do agree that maybe time won't have a strong impact on the games, but, at least maybe just small stuff like timed events or something.

Back