• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
@WarGreymon-X: an SU is a sign-up which is the same thing as a character profile. And yes, OOC threads are Out Of Character discussion threads that would talk about the RP.

As for the idea, I guess it's pretty interesting. But for some reason, it sounds like Inu-Yasha. I can't say whether I'd join but I think that it might attract some RPers.

Why do I get the strange feeling that I'm about to be Ninja'd?...

EDIT: Dammit! probably because i went to go eat dinner in between starting and finishing this minute post.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Well, I think Non-Pokemon RPs are...so-so around here~ They're popular, just not as popular as the pokemon ones.[/
In any case, that RP sounds interesting actually~!

I, myself trying to improve on this RP I made:

Spoiler:

So, uh, critique and all that would be...appreciated. xD
Not sure if this could be a journey RP otherwise :x

Well, that's certainly a unique way of putting it. Kind of like us with the DS games but . . . way different at the same time, lol. I like the idea. Although . . . I think some things might need expanding? It's probably just that since things work differently, you'll just have to get used to it, so I guess the moves won't really need much more explaining. But, since they apparently don't evolve . . . how exactly do you get evolved forms? Do you just obtain them, as if they were completely unrelated to the previous forms, or are there no evolved forms?

EDIT: Ninja'd x2, lol.

@WarGreymon-X - Oh, okay then, lol. Well, the cat thing isn't too big a deal, I guess. xD

@pokemongarnet - Heheheheheh . . . Heehehehehehe, HEHEHEHEHEHE, MWUHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

*Glares at quote* Don't you dare break -3-
EDIT2: SON OF A- *microphone falters*

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
@WarGreymon-X Yes, as Nakuzami said, SU stands for Sign-Up, or a sign up sheet for a particular Roleplay.

OOC, or Out of Characater threads, are for the discussion and sign up of characters for an RP. Usually, GMs (Game Masters) post their OOC first, followed by their IC (In Character) thread once they have enough players.

I'd say at the moment about 30% or so of the RPs are actually non-Pokemon. They can be popular, depending on what the Non-Pokemon RP is. I have heard recently for a demand of more non-Pokemon RPs.

As for your idea, it's quite good, and I wish you luck in it. I may or may not join myself if I have the time.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years

Well, that's certainly a unique way of putting it. Kind of like us with the DS games but . . . way different at the same time, lol. I like the idea. Although . . . I think some things might need expanding? It's probably just that since things work differently, you'll just have to get used to it, so I guess the moves won't really need much more explaining. But, since they apparently don't evolve . . . how exactly do you get evolved forms? Do you just obtain them, as if they were completely unrelated to the previous forms, or are there no evolved forms?

Well, "evolving" isn't the right term this time; you'll have to "upgrade" your pokedisk. Or just perchase them and download them!

Well, I know things may need clearing up, which is why I'm asking if there is any questions. :3

WarGreymon-X

Ultimate Nerd
Years
  • Age 33
  • US
  • Seen Jun 18, 2014
@ Pokemongarnet - Thanks for clarifying that for me (OCC threads). Yeah, I can see how it might remind you of Inu-Yasha. This is certainly gonna be plenty of work so hopefully I get a good turn out.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016

Well, "evolving" isn't the right term this time; you'll have to "upgrade" your pokedisk. Or just perchase them and download them!

That sucks, now the rich kids automatically kick ass at pokemon instead of being the person who you keep fighting with the vs. seeker in the games so that you can take their money. >:[

I, myself trying to improve on this RP I made:

Spoiler:

So, uh, critique and all that would be...appreciated. xD
Not sure if this could be a journey RP otherwise :x

i remember seeing that sometime over summer or later and i remember liking it until i got to the types because they're just too different. But it'd probably be really fun once you got used to it.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
So I've further explored the idea of a homemade rating system. Here's what I've got so far. I've not fleshed out what exactly makes anything qualified for any maturity level, but I've fully fleshed out the writing level. The maturity levels are going to be based off the ESRB ratings, since they're pretty famous. (CARA, movie ratings, are more famous, but a couple of CARA ratings are already complex enough as it is. IE PG-13 and NC-17)

For the writing levels, I decided that a scale of 1-10 was actually needlessly vague. I instead borrowed an old concept I remembered using actual post length as an indicator.

Maturity Levels
E - Everyone
T - Teen
M - Mature (Young Adult)
A - Adult (May or may not be allowed on this forum depending on what makes it adult. It's really up to Skymin though whether A rating is allowed at all.)

Writing Levels
One-Liner - One line or less. (Not allowed on this forum)
Semi-Para - More than one line, less than 4. (Not allowed on this forum)
Para - 4 to 7 lines
Multi Para - 8 - 35 lines
Novella - SO. MUCH. TEXT.

As you can see, Para stands for Paragraph. Writing levels can be abbreviated. So for instance, a rating tag using this system might be (M-MP) for Mature Multi Paragraph. (E-N) for Everyone Novella. The actual quality of a post is as someone mentioned earlier something you have to be objective to see, meaning new users would be highly prone to just listing themselves as TOP TIER POSTERS. That's why I opted to use post length instead.

If you guys want to demand a certain quality of posts in your RP, you can put that in your rules easy enough and it'll be more effective than making it a rating too.

Here's an example of the post frequency rating we could optionally add on. A post frequency rating would only set the /expectancy/ of the average frequency of posts.

Post Frequency Level
Pre-Daily - Posts multiple times a day
Daily - Around once a day
Semi Weekly - Every couple of days
Weekly - Around a week between posts
Snail's Pace - 1.5 weeks+ on average

If we added Post Frequency Levels on, we'd get a rating that looked something like this: (E-P-D) for Everyone, Para, Daily.

Years
@Yellow: It's really good!! But I think we shouldn't add the post frequency as it can be inconsistent. For example, if RPers of a fast-paced RP that has daily posts all have exams at the same period of time, the frequency would drop to weekly-snail's pace. Then it would've to be changed every now and then so it can be quite a hassle. :3

Dawn

Years
..........No.

It means they should be posting at that frequency on average, not necessarily 100% of the time, and that it's an expectation, not necessarily a rule that if you don't follow necessitates a boot from the RP.

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
Years
I do agree with Diamond that having the post frequency as a label might not be such a good idea. I mean if, as GM, you want to really make post frequency consistent than it's easy enough to put that in the rules. Too many labels would make things chaotic anyway.

However I find the ratings and post-length system to be brilliant. The latter especially, it would be so much more helpful for finding the right roleplay and attracting the right roleplayers.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Post length can vary a lot depending on what's happening in the RP. I don't think it's a great idea for a labeling system at all.

Ratings get my vote.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
I think maybe experience could be keyed in as well with simple 'Beginner', 'Intermediate' and 'Advanced' levels.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I think maybe experience could be keyed in as well with simple 'Beginner', 'Intermediate' and 'Advanced' levels.

That way some RPs would be labeled 'Beginner' and wouldn't have much chance of attracting, well, good RPers. And 'Advanced' would probably scare a lot of people away.

The opening post of an RP most of the time tells us enough about what level of experience the GM has, BUT if some more experienced players join, the RP can 'level up'. No?

Dawn

Years
Roleplayer experience is so easy to fail to be objective about though that a lot of the time people, especially new people, would rate their RPs wrong. There's also the fact that a lot of the time the experience level of a roleplay is decided by the RPers, not the GM. You can have a very simple basic roleplay with a bunch of top tier roleplayers, y'know?

But yeah, I agree that if people want to enforce a posting frequency they can easily do that in their RP rules. A two letter rating looks more neat anyway~

The last part of this requires me to look at the maturity ratings and decide exactly what makes something mature or not. An easy way to do this would be to just think of all the 'offensive' (term used lightly) things you can come across whilst roleplaying.

Last edited:

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Speaking of rating, would you guys mind giving me your opinion on the new roleplay I set up? Link is in signature.

I like the concept a lot, but I'm curious to see if it works. I got a full plot in store, sure.

[/shameless_plug]

Years
Speaking of rating, would you guys mind giving me your opinion on the new roleplay I set up? Link is in signature.

I like the concept a lot, but I'm curious to see if it works. I got a full plot in store, sure.

[/shameless_plug]
I'm not sure about it. I've never heard of this... Prohibition Era thing. While everything looks new to me especially Pokemon categories, it's rather complicated to me. There's like some Mafia going on I think? I don't really know much of the concept used in the RP so I really can't help you with feedback. All I can say is, boy do you have a knack for making the most unusual and complex RPs ever. Like with Sophrosune and all that~ xD;;

Wymsical

V.S. The Wymsical Champion
Years
@Yellow's Lists: Well, the ratings are a must-have, and the writing level and frequencies should be used too. For example, if you're making the rules for an RP and you want a certain amount of activity and post level minimum, you could say:

At least a Multi Para Post level and a Semi-Weekly posting activity. Failing to acknowledge this gets you booted out.

Adding a rating that's like E-M-S is confusing. So just state it in the rules clearly instead of on the rating.

Overall, I agree with the notion. It could really clear things up by getting it organized into lists (being a neat-freak, I particularly like this notion) but if you put a rating of E-M-S or something like that on a RP Title, it could get seriously confusing. Instead, set the rating to E and state the post frequencies and levels in the rules clearly. As an example:

Title: Pokemon Quest (Rated E)

One of the rules would be: Minimum Post Frequency is Semi-Weekly & Minimum post level is Multi Para.

It really depends. But I go with the idea.

The Post frequency levels also decrease the growing problem of two or three people posting so much that the other RPers don't have a chance to do anything. And are ninja'd constantly. While some people may call this good activity, I'm sure others call it annoying.

@Kiyoshi: No offense, but I personally don't like it. In general: It doesn't make too much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back