• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Choose You! -The Starter Pokemon Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paige Berlitz

HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Years
What is your favorite fully evolved starter and why?

Samurott baby! You should all know my heavy affiliation with the Oshawott line by now and the samurai theme with the evolution line is what made me choose it as my starter in almost every single 5th Gen playthrough I did. In fact, I think the Water-types definitely won it out for me as far as final evos' designs go.

What do the X and Y starters have to live up to? (design, expectations, etc)

Same reasons as Paige there, I'm hoping they not only look awesome, but also have the stats to be considered threatening. 5th Gen did have interesting designs but the stats didn't live up to expectations hence they were blessed with suck. I'm hoping the Kalos bunch get strong stats like those in Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh since theirs had impressive stats. Also hoping they do a repeat of Sinnoh and give all of them dual-types.

I also agree with all the other stuff that you basically added. I think that the 3rd gen had the best stats due to Meganium, Typhlosion, and Feraligatr being really strong and good.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
My expectations for the new starters can be summed up in DO NOT WANT FIRE/FIGHTING. I am really hoping for Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting and Fire/Psychic. Their designs look like it's possible in future evos. Also I hope Chespin's and Froakie's lines will remain bipedal.

Sirfetch’d

My expectations for the new starters can be summed up in DO NOT WANT FIRE/FIGHTING. I am really hoping for Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting and Fire/Psychic. Their designs look like it's possible in future evos. Also I hope Chespin's and Froakie's lines will remain bipedal.

Totally agree about the no Fire/Fighting because after Blazkien they just really got worse each time. Fire/Psychic is definitely what I am hoping for because that is a very interesting type combination that would be ever so fitting for Fennekin. I haven't really thought too much about Froakie's secondary typing, but Water/Fighting would be lovely :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yeah, I'm totally seeing something like this for Fennekin's evolutions:
Spoiler:

The same idea that Vulpix/Ninetales are pretty much, but executed more on the psychic angle. Ninetales knows some psychic moves, doesn't it?

And Froakie being part fighting certainly bears resemblance to Poliwrath and its line. They are frogs/tadpoles after all. But considering how many different lines are very similar to each other in pokémon these days, I doubt it would be a problem. Especially with Fennekin and Vulpix coexisting already.

Years
Username(nickname): Cirno
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Chikorita
What is your favorite fully evolved starter and why: Probably Typhlosion. Looks-wise he's the coolest and I got very attached to him as a kid. The awesome guy swept through almost everything during the G/S/C days, too.

But on another note.. please no more fire/fighting. Q_Q I've had enough of these guys and it's about time Pokemon went down a different path. Fire/psychic for Fennekin, anyone? :D

Sirfetch’d

Yeah, I'm totally seeing something like this for Fennekin's evolutions:
Spoiler:

The same idea that Vulpix/Ninetales are pretty much, but executed more on the psychic angle. Ninetales knows some psychic moves, doesn't it?

And Froakie being part fighting certainly bears resemblance to Poliwrath and its line. They are frogs/tadpoles after all. But considering how many different lines are very similar to each other in pokémon these days, I doubt it would be a problem. Especially with Fennekin and Vulpix coexisting already.

Totally agree! I'm basically hoping that the Fennekin family becomes everything that the Vulpix family could have, but didn't. Psychic is the perfect secondary typing and I don't think anything else would even come close to making sense.

Username(nickname): Cirno
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Chikorita
What is your favorite fully evolved starter and why: Probably Typhlosion. Looks-wise he's the coolest and I got very attached to him as a kid. The awesome guy swept through almost everything during the G/S/C days, too.

But on another note.. please no more fire/fighting. Q_Q I've had enough of these guys and it's about time Pokemon went down a different path. Fire/psychic for Fennekin, anyone? :D

Welcome, Cirno! I have added you to the list :D. Greatc choice of a partner because Chikorita is just so adorable. Such an underrated starter that I want to see get much more love. Also, Typlosion is certainly amazing and one of the best looking starters. I like how he is the only pure typed fully evolved starter which makes him very unique and interesting!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Oh, I've never really thought of it but Johto is the only region with only pure typed starters, isn't it? Makes them pretty cool just because of that. And because of their nice designs of course! The closest second one would be Unova with only one line being dual type, and then Kanto with one line + Charizard being dual type.

Sirfetch’d

Yeah, Johto has always stood out to me because of that. However, Johto had the starters that could pull off pure typings because they looked like they should have been. The other starters outside of gen 2, maybe excluding Blastoise, all look like they could have had a secondary typing such as Sceptile and Serperior being Dragon and Samurott looks like it could have been part Fighting.

You also may evolve your starter if you want :]

Years
Yeah, poor Chikorita is so underrated.. D: But I can see why since it's certainly the weakest of the starters. I always suffer trying to use it, though I guess it does make an all right tank. Well, either way, Chikorita's line will continue to be my very favorite!

As for fifth generation starters, I was almost 100% sure Samurott would end up being water/fighting while Emboar would be fire/dark. Was so sad to see that they didn't go down that path.

Sirfetch’d

Totally agree and even Fire/Ground would have been a better typing for Emboar because he is based on pig right? It just makes a little sense because pigs like dirt and all, haha. I'm not sure why they went with Fire/Fighting on him because he certainly doesn't look like that should be his typing .

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Perhaps Emboar represents a wrestler in a sense? Those huge fists look like they could pick up a tree easily. While I'd also like Fire/Ground, I think Fire/Fighting would make it appear more badass of a Pokemon. I admit its uncreative but you have to say that it does resemble a huge wrestler or punk standing in your way. Maybe that's just me though?

Either way I still think Fire/Ground would make sense. Pigs love digging and getting dirty and ground would suit Emboar perfectly. Its arms could also be used to shovel dirt at the speed of sound or help construction workers with projects. Maybe it's like Conkeldurr, where it helps with construction. I honestly have no idea but I'd prefer Fire/Ground as well.

Gir500

~Gir~
Years
Username(nickname): Well my username is Gir500, but u guys can call me whatever you want :p
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Pikachu (It's my favorite pokemon ever <3)
Answer to current topic:
Well I can make really good cases for almost all of the starters, and I love several of the starters equally, so I will just pick one to explain my case.
Infernape, although not the first starter to be the duel type of fire/fighting its Sp.A and Speed plus the good move set it can learn, also the good game play in Platinum makes it to one of the top 5 starters on my list.

Sirfetch’d

Username(nickname): Well my username is Gir500, but u guys can call me whatever you want :p
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Pikachu (It's my favorite pokemon ever <3)
Answer to current topic:
Well I can make really good cases for almost all of the starters, and I love several of the starters equally, so I will just pick one to explain my case.
Infernape, although not the first starter to be the duel type of fire/fighting its Sp.A and Speed plus the good move set it can learn, also the good game play in Platinum makes it to one of the top 5 starters on my list.

Welcome to the club, Gir500! I've added you to the list and I hope you become an active club member :D

Pikachu has always been a Pokemon that I love and I feel most fans due because he is the face of Pokemon. I remember using him in Pokemon Yellow and having that cute little guy follow me around was fantastic! He was a very hard starter to use, but overall pretty good.

Anyways guys I'll post a new topic!

What do you take into account when choosing your starter Pokemon?

Years

I mostly take loads of things into account, notably looks, the usability of its stats and I tend to get the ones that aren't lacking in too many departments, this is probably why I choose Water more than Fire or Grass. Water tends to have balanced stats and I often liked the designs of the Water-types.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Looks, type and what moves it can learn. I usually go for the fire type because I enjoy their designs and moves the best. I chose Tepig in Unova, Chimchar in Sinnoh and Cyndaquil in Johto. Kanto and Hoenn, I've sometimes used Bulbasaur and Mudkip, mostly for strategic purposes. Mudkip and its evos kick butt in Hoenn's gyms and it's possibly the best water type I know in those games. Bulbasaur and its evos are generally very useful going through the game, even though maybe not so much later on imo. Charizard is usually nice because I teach it FLY and usually don't have other bird/flying types on my team.

So yeah. The fire/fighting starters are actually quite nice imo, even though it gets uncreative with 3 gens in a row doing that.

Another factor is of course what other pokémon are available in the region of a certain game. If there are many interesting water types to choose from, I'm not likely to pick the water starter. If there is a really cool fire type to get my hands on not too late into the game, I might refrain from picking the fire starter. I don't like to have several pokémon with the same type on my in-game teams.

Also, I'd love to evolve Piplup! :3

Years
Username: Slaying Moon
Partner: Torchic
Answer to current topic: I don't put too much effort into choosing my starter. I usually just take the Fire-type, but I reset if it's not female (I prefer female Pokemon).

Paige Berlitz

HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Years

I take into account about how well I think I will bond with that pokemon. I have mostly always bonded with the fire types a few exceptions is Chikorita(Still love cyndaquil) and Snivy. But I always wanted a Female starter.

And Hey Jelli could you add contests to this club?

Sirfetch’d

I mostly take loads of things into account, notably looks, the usability of its stats and I tend to get the ones that aren't lacking in too many departments, this is probably why I choose Water more than Fire or Grass. Water tends to have balanced stats and I often liked the designs of the Water-types.

I will agree here with you, Hikari! Look are the number one factor when I choose my starter. If it isn't visually appealing, I don't want to use it on my team. For example, Snivy is one of the best looking starters of all time, but horrid stat wise. He was extremely hard to use, but I didn't care because I was in love with his design. Same with Chikorita, a very cute Pokemon, but really hard to use.

Looks, type and what moves it can learn. I usually go for the fire type because I enjoy their designs and moves the best. I chose Tepig in Unova, Chimchar in Sinnoh and Cyndaquil in Johto. Kanto and Hoenn, I've sometimes used Bulbasaur and Mudkip, mostly for strategic purposes. Mudkip and its evos kick butt in Hoenn's gyms and it's possibly the best water type I know in those games. Bulbasaur and its evos are generally very useful going through the game, even though maybe not so much later on imo. Charizard is usually nice because I teach it FLY and usually don't have other bird/flying types on my team.

So yeah. The fire/fighting starters are actually quite nice imo, even though it gets uncreative with 3 gens in a row doing that.

Another factor is of course what other pokémon are available in the region of a certain game. If there are many interesting water types to choose from, I'm not likely to pick the water starter. If there is a really cool fire type to get my hands on not too late into the game, I might refrain from picking the fire starter. I don't like to have several pokémon with the same type on my in-game teams.

Also, I'd love to evolve Piplup! :3

Congrats on the Prinplup! I definitely think that those are all great factors when choosing a starter Pokemon, especially the last point you made about seeing if there are other interesting Pokemon in the games of the same types. This was the case in gen 5 for me. I liked Oshawott, but there was another great Water type in the game called Jellicent. This was enough reason for me to pick Snivy instead.

Username: Slaying Moon
Partner: Torchic
Answer to current topic: I don't put too much effort into choosing my starter. I usually just take the Fire-type, but I reset if it's not female (I prefer female Pokemon).

Welcome to the club, Slaying Moon! Torchic is wonderful and we both share the love for the little guy. Is he your favorite starter of all time as well?

I take into account about how well I think I will bond with that pokemon. I have mostly always bonded with the fire types a few exceptions is Chikorita(Still love cyndaquil) and Snivy. But I always wanted a Female starter.

And Hey Jelli could you add contests to this club?

That is an interesting method of choosing your starter! I have never thought about it like that, but I agree that is a really cool idea. What about Fire starters make them easier to bond with?

Also, unfortunately no I won't be adding contests as this is a Starter Pokemon club and I feel like that really wouldn't fit in. Sorry :(

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I've been debating whether or not to join because 90% of the time I end up abandoning my starter Pokémon near the start of the journey to use something cooler instead, but I do like the Pokémon themselves so I think I'll sign-up!

Username(nickname): Ozzy!
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Twiggy the Turtwig! *shoves Everstone down throat*

What do I take into account whilst choosing them? Hmm... I think honestly it's just a case of which one I feel like using at the time haha. In Gen II I'll always choose Cyndaquil because Chikorita reminds me of something a friend should use rather than myself and the Totodile line is my least favourite in the game, but otherwise I'll usually just pick something random as long as I didn't use it the time before. I'll often end up picking the cuter ones and basing the whole decision on which will end up cutest as strength is never a huge issue for me with in-game teams and all the starters end up decent anyway (lol Meganium), so really it's just a case of whatever I feel like at the time haha.

And aren't the Sinnoh starters all just the cutest little things omg <333

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
And aren't the Sinnoh starters all just the cutest little things omg <333
Agreed. They look good imo, and I've found myself judging a gen of pokémon after how good the starter trio look together :x Maybe that's silly haha. It took some time for me to really appreciate Hoenn, because I thought the starters looked so odd and... Impersonal kinda? Compared to the jolly looks of the Johto and Kanto starters. Mudkip and Torchic just kind of stared at you with their black little eyes and Treecko looked eternally bored. I do like them more nowadays, so don't worry ;) There's Blaziken, after all.

pokemon_platinum_starters.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back