• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: MrDollSteak's Decap. and Attack Rombase

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
@Marilynasol: Are you sure you're using a 1.0 rom of Fire Red? 1.1, as many people have said, may give the patch some problems.

Thanks but that's not the problem from what I can determine. The rom is from CoolRom and while the site did not note what version, a little research and when I played the unaltered rom the word "presents" is not in the introduction, therefore it is Version 1.0.

I am using g3hs to further edit the rom to my specifications.

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Thanks but that's not the problem from what I can determine. The rom is from CoolRom and while the site did not note what version, a little research and when I played the unaltered rom the word "presents" is not in the introduction, therefore it is Version 1.0.

I am using g3hs to further edit the rom to my specifications.

Hello Marilynasol,

I think your problem is you are not setting up the .ini in G3HS.
Read the documentation carefully that comes with both the tool and patch...

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
Hello Marilynasol,

I think your problem is you are not setting up the .ini in G3HS.
Read the documentation carefully that comes with both the tool and patch...

I did but it just left me more confused. I opened up an unaltered Pokemon FireRed 1.1 rom easily in G3HS and went to edit the hex chart like the document said. I couldn't type over what I had, and when I tried to do the .ini merge, I couldn't because the rom itself doesn't come with an .ini file.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
Have you tried the Hex Edit fix mentioned a while back? That seemed to work for me, though I didn't do such extensive testing.

EDIT: Never mind. The Hex Edit fix was for stat boosts. (Though you might want to try it, just as a test)

Looks like that DID fix it. I'm not sure why, but it's working now. Slash does pathetic damage and Flamethrower does much more. I switched it around so Charmander had a 160 Att and 10 Sp. Att. Then Slash did decent damage and Flamethrower barely did squat with a Critical Hit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I never would've thought of it since it seemed to be about something different. This base got me really interested in making a new hack, so I'm ecstatic I got it working now!

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
I did but it just left me more confused. I opened up an unaltered Pokemon FireRed 1.1 rom easily in G3HS and went to edit the hex chart like the document said. I couldn't type over what I had, and when I tried to do the .ini merge, I couldn't because the rom itself doesn't come with an .ini file.

Alright,
First I wouldn't use a FireRed 1.1 rom I personally only use 1.0...

Next get a clean rom and patch it with MrDollSteak's Rombase,
Then use Rom Header Editor to change the rom patched with the bases header to MrDS
then try to open it in G3HS.... I am going to test it again my self right now just to make sure

make sure you have the most up to date G3HS as well

Edit: Just tested it and honestly after you patch the rom simply open it in a hex editor and scroll All the way down to the bottom.
On the far bottom right you will see 00 change these last two zeros to FF and it will open up like a charm ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
Alright,
First I wouldn't use a FireRed 1.1 rom I personally only use 1.0...

Next get a clean rom and patch it with MrDollSteak's Rombase,
Then use Rom Header Editor to change the rom patched with the bases header to MrDS
then try to open it in G3HS.... I am going to test it again my self right now just to make sure

make sure you have the most up to date G3HS as well

Whoops, that was a typo mistake. I used a clean, not-yet-been-opened-in-the-emulator rom of Pokemon FireRed version 1.0 and that's when I began having difficulties. I am using the version of G3HS released last month.

Here's what I did: I applied the MrDS Attack and Decapitalization patch to a clean Pokemon FireRed Version 1.0 (the introduction lacks the word "PRESENTS") and then opened up the newly-patched Pokemon FireRed in G3HS. Tried to change Bulbasaur to a pure grass-type, but when the drop-down list appeared, it was completely blank without words. Tried to see if Bulbasaur would still take with two random (blank, there's no text) types selected, but on emulator always appeared as a normal type following my changes.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Whoops, that was a typo mistake. I used a clean, not-yet-been-opened-in-the-emulator rom of Pokemon FireRed version 1.0 and that's when I began having difficulties. I am using the version of G3HS released last month.

Here's what I did: I applied the MrDS Attack and Decapitalization patch to a clean Pokemon FireRed Version 1.0 (the introduction lacks the word "PRESENTS") and then opened up the newly-patched Pokemon FireRed in G3HS. Tried to change Bulbasaur to a pure grass-type, but when the drop-down list appeared, it was completely blank without words. Tried to see if Bulbasaur would still take with two random (blank, there's no text) types selected, but on emulator always appeared as a normal type following my changes.

That's because the offset in the INI is wrong. I don't remember where it is but. Search for "NORMAL (FF) FIGHT" Or "Normal (FF) Fight" in your Hex editor. Obviously in the letters will be in hex.
You'll get 2 results. 1 is the original and the second is the proper one. That's the offset. Copy and paste it in the ini under "Type Names" or something like that.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
Looks like that DID fix it. I'm not sure why, but it's working now. Slash does pathetic damage and Flamethrower does much more. I switched it around so Charmander had a 160 Att and 10 Sp. Att. Then Slash did decent damage and Flamethrower barely did squat with a Critical Hit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I never would've thought of it since it seemed to be about something different. This base got me really interested in making a new hack, so I'm ecstatic I got it working now!
Well, I'm glad it worked!

You already saw my edit note from my post, I had assumed it wouldn't work either, so I'm glad you tried it anyway. Congratulations on getting it to work~ Hopefully next time someone has this problem (and doesn't read previous pages, like all noobs do) one of us will be around to give this fix!

Better yet, hopefully 1.5 is released before then xD

Suzuke of Mystica

Currently updating stuff...
Years
So I put this patch in my FR rom, and loaded up the PGE successor G3T, and it works and all, up until the gameplay, at which point the game crashes at the first rival battle. Any solutions? Or a link to a G3HS tutorial?(doubt there is one)?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
So I put this patch in my FR rom, and loaded up the PGE successor G3T, and it works and all, up until the gameplay, at which point the game crashes at the first rival battle. Any solutions? Or a link to a G3HS tutorial?(doubt there is one)?

Did you edit the ini. file in G3T, to accustom the changes to your ROM?

Suzuke of Mystica

Years
Are there any changes that you made? Specify them.
Attached is the exact .ini file that I used, with the modifications after the patch. I did not add any params to the .ini, only modded the values that were given to me. I changed where all the Hex values are, as well as the number of pokemon, TM's and HM's, and abilities.

DJTiki

Years
Attached is the exact .ini file that I used, with the modifications after the patch. I did not add any params to the .ini, only modded the values that were given to me. I changed where all the Hex values are, as well as the number of pokemon, TM's and HM's, and abilities.

Everything seems fine to me. I tested it, and it worked fine. I meant, if you made changes to the Pokémon themselve. Any specific things, such as stats or moves?

DJTiki

Years
I changed bulbasaur's moveset... >.> uhhh
EDIT: I changed the moveset in G3T

When you tested the rival battle, did you have a Squirtle on your party. Something went wrong with the moveset. You also should make sure that the trainer battle is altered to have its moveset also.

Suzuke of Mystica

Years
When you tested the rival battle, did you have a Squirtle on your party. Something went wrong with the moveset. You also should make sure that the trainer battle is altered to have its moveset also.
I tested with a bulbasaur that knew shadow claw, and draco meteor? or something like that, but yes I did wipe squirtle's moveset. What is the best solution?

DJTiki

Years
I tested with a bulbasaur that knew shadow claw, and draco meteor? or something like that, but yes I did wipe squirtle's moveset. What is the best solution?

If you wiped its moveset, then it would naturally freeze, since it isn't in the Pokémon data to use those moves. Just give them the moves, you tested. So if Squirlte doesn't have any moves, when it attacks, it'll only be natural that it freezes.

Suzuke of Mystica

Years
If you wiped its moveset, then it would naturally freeze, since it isn't in the Pokémon data to use those moves. Just give them the moves, you tested. So if Squirlte doesn't have any moves, when it attacks, it'll only be natural that it freezes.
Ok, after giving the pokemon the movesets, and going to the battle between you and your rival, and Oak finishes his hour long speech, the game restarts, from the intro sequence.
EDIT: this happens after applying Jambo's patch on top of MD's patch. That was the problem. So now I guess I have to go to G3HS to use Md's patch?

Last edited:
Back