• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Breeding woes...

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
Years
So I wanted to reach out to people who are trying the same thing as me (getting the perfect, battle dominating, master of destruction of a Pokémon) and who are having exactly the same problem as me:

The Pokémon who you're breeding "troll" the ever loving coconuts out of you.

I've been trying to breed a Noibat to get the perfect HP/Def/Sp.Att/Sp.Def/Spd Noivern to add to my team but for some Arceus forsaken reason all the hatchlings say "NOPE, you're not getting that one".

"Defense and Speed? You can have that. Special Attack and Speed? Sure, why not. Sp. Att, Def and Spd? Of course! No problem. Sp. Att, Sp. Def, Def, Spd? Yeah, no... You'll never get that... Though here's a totally useless Sp. Def only one. What's that? You want to add HP in there as well? Well... Okay I guess... Here's a HP and Sp. Def one, so... Good luck trying to add that to the Sp. Att, Def, Spd ones you're swimming in."

After about, I don't know... 25, 30, even more batches of Noibat, this is getting rather frustrating... Especially since breeding Larvitar for my friend was done in 2 batches. A 5 IV Larvitar in 2 batches and the An-Noibat is going "Ah, ah, ah, you didn't say the magic word"! (I admit I have begged and said 'please', so either they're deaf or I'm losing my mind...)

Another reason why a Ditto Friend Safari will help me out a lot... Shame they're so damn rare. And I haven't even gotten to the worst of my new team yet: Chansey. T.T

So, any other Trainers/Breeders out there who want to vent their frustration on how unfair some Pokémon treat you? Come right here and let go of all of that anger and steam, before you smash your 3DS against a wall (I know I have contemplated doing just that...)

Sleeping Eevee

Let Sleeping Eves Lie
Years
Despite me having a Marill with a perfect IV in speed...Marill say no, you'll get everything (even sometimes a lousy special attack stat!) except speed!
I was trying to get perfect IVs in HP/Att/Def/Sp. Def/Speed, also get Huge Power, an Adamant nature, and egg moves Belly Drum and Aqua Jet (egg moves ? Easy. Messed up my Marill because of the lame IVs the two had). The nature I could do after a while. Now it comes down to IVs and...that dang nature.
I was able to get ONE perfect Marill, and I've kind of mellowed out for a while now. But I still don't know how I'll managed to get another perfect Marill to throw in the day-care...

Shilver

Cool Trainer
Years
you eventually get what you want, all you need is patience and luck
took me 2 days already to hatch a 5IVs elekid with ice punch, and yet 4IVs is the best i got

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
This is why I don't bother much with IV breeding. I just don't have the patience for it; breeding for Hidden Abilities, natures, and egg moves is enough for me. Yeah, I got some Pokemon with good IVs, but that's because they or their parents had great IVs.

Also, have you tried using the Destiny Knot?

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
Years
This is why I don't bother much with IV breeding. I just don't have the patience for it; breeding for Hidden Abilities, natures, and egg moves is enough for me. Yeah, I got some Pokemon with good IVs, but that's because they or their parents had great IVs.

Also, have you tried using the Destiny Knot?

Oh yeah, I use the Destiny Knot/Everstone combo to get nature + IV's but they always seem to transfer the useless IV's instead of the ones I want...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Oh yeah, I use the Destiny Knot/Everstone combo to get nature + IV's but they always seem to transfer the useless IV's instead of the ones I want...
Do you exchange the parents periodically? In the end you should have two parents with 4IVs that cover all stats you want. That way your chances in getting one with the wanted 5IVs are optimized.

The only time I had problems with breeding was when I wanted a 5IV Gligar. It took me days but I not only got the one I wanted but also a male with 6 perfect IVs (without his HA unfortunately) that I can use if I ever feel the need in breeding a Pokemon in the bug egg group.

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
Years
Do you exchange the parents periodically? In the end you should have two parents with 4IVs that cover all stats you want. That way your chances in getting one with the wanted 5IVs are optimized.

The only time I had problems with breeding was when I wanted a 5IV Gligar. It took me days but I not only got the one I wanted but also a male with 6 perfect IVs (without his HA unfortunately) that I can use if I ever feel the need in breeding a Pokemon in the bug egg group.

I've tried everything really. I tried Dittos, I tried Noibats with the exact IV's like said Dittos but I only get Noibats who have exactly those stats. I'll put it in perspective:

Noibat Male: Def/Sp. Att/Spd
Noibat Female: Sp. Def/Spd

Offspring:
-Def/Spd
-Def
-Spd
-Sp. Att/Spd
-Sp. Def/Spd
-Def/Sp. Att/Spd

And so on and so forth. Never one with Sp. Att/Sp. Def/Spd or any other combinations, only those occur. Otherwise I'd switch out one that would end up giving me better chances but they never occur... :/

I'm now trying to get a Def/Sp. Def/Spd Noibat by using a Def/Spd and a Sp. Def/Spd Noibat combo so I can breed it with the Def/Sp. Att/Spd Noibat but it just doesn't work...

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
I for one find it pretty funny how spoiled the new breeding mechanics have made all of us. Back in B/W, whenever I got a baby with one perfect IV, I thought it was the greatest thing ever. In X/Y though, if I ever get 4/6 IVs, I'm like "Nope. Not good enough".
On a funnier and more meta note, who IS this IV judge? How can he tell if a Pokemon is good just by staring at it? If he really has that kind of gift, why hasn't he tried to make a fortune out of it? DOES he have that gift, or is he just a con artist? And for that matter, what motivates the hero to take a random stranger's word about whether his Pokemon are good or not.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
I know this thread is about IV breeding, which is vastly easier this generation but to me, at least, perfection is not necessary.
I have to ask, what's the point of a perfect Noivern? It's role is a special attacker right? So there's no use in having 31 in attack. It's defenses aren't great, I doubt 31 extra points in either one will save you from a move that would otherwise knock you out. Hp, Sp.A and Speed would be the only ones I'd concern myself with. Just my opinion.

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
Years
I know this thread is about IV breeding, which is vastly easier this generation but to me, at least, perfection is not necessary.
I have to ask, what's the point of a perfect Noivern? It's role is a special attacker right? So there's no use in having 31 in attack. It's defenses aren't great, I doubt 31 extra points in either one will save you from a move that would otherwise knock you out. Hp, Sp.A and Speed would be the only ones I'd concern myself with. Just my opinion.

Well the thing is, Doctor (big Who fan btw :p ), I really want one with such spread for future endeavors and dabbles in breeding. Since Noivern is in the "Flying" Egg group I can use it when I want to IV Breed one of that group (which is why I want a male one as well). That way I don't have to beat around the bush with Dittos all the time.

"Present Pain for Future Gain" or something like that.

Years
I've tried everything really. I tried Dittos, I tried Noibats with the exact IV's like said Dittos but I only get Noibats who have exactly those stats. I'll put it in perspective:

Noibat Male: Def/Sp. Att/Spd
Noibat Female: Sp. Def/Spd

I'm now trying to get a Def/Sp. Def/Spd Noibat by using a Def/Spd and a Sp. Def/Spd Noibat combo so I can breed it with the Def/Sp. Att/Spd Noibat but it just doesn't work...

What other friend safaris do you have access to? What I would suggest doing (I've been IV breeding all week so I understand your frustration), is breed more IVs into your female parent. Since she only has two perfect IVs, put her in the Daycare with an everstone and get a male Noibat/male of the flying egg group, and start breeding other traits into the offspring using power items. If you want Sp Att to be bred into the female, catch a male with 31 IVs and put a Power lens on it. Once you breed them, it will take a while before you get one with all the IVs you want (your goal should be a Sp Att/Sp Def/Spd offspring). Then do this again with another IV that you don't have that you want your perfect Noibat to have.

So far from my experiences, the best way to get a perfect offspring is to have both parents with 4 IVs, but even then it takes many eggs to get what you want (I've hatched at least 80 Drilburs with my 4 IV parents and only produced one perfect offspring but it had the wrong ability). Or sometimes you get lucky, since I got a perfect Houndour on the second egg.

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
Years
I just found out that you need to pay attention to what the IV Judge says...

Only if it's "With Stats like those... You simply can't be beat!" it means your Pokémon had 31 IV's in the stats he mentioned...

Explains why my breeding went down the crapper... -_-

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 14, 2014
3 and a half days of breeding for my 5IV eevee (theres a mouthfull ...) and roughly 50 or so eggs into my treeko (10 batches of 5 eggs at a time) i totally agree with how it seems like im being laughed at ... not by my pokemon but by either the daycare couple or the IV Judge ..... they mock how many eggs i take away to hatch and how many times i come back or he mocks how many pokemon i actuallly bring for him to verify

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
You guys will have to try to switch up parents if a whole slew of eggs don't turn out the way you want them to. I noticed that with males, they rarely pass down the speed IV along with attack so I had to get around this issue by breeding attack male with speed female. There's several IV combos that pop up very rarely depending on the IVs of the male and the female. I've mostly noticed the male because I chain breed a lot. Speed IVs on the female, speed IVs on the female... *deep breath*

*screams*

On the bright side, sometimes a person can get really lucky with the IV combos and get like 10 quints (5 31's, I mean) in one batch. A batch in my case means approximately 28 eggs. My latest batch yielded 13 quints. The batch before that yielded... one.

Last edited:
Back