• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I'm not massively big on football, but all the recent brouhaha regarding Torres and Chelsea has become so intense amongst my friends that even I'll end up knowing when he finally scores for them. All I know is that £50 million is a crapload of money, even if it is for a very good player. (There's also all the Facebook groups like 'I've scored as many goals for Chelsea as Torres' and 'Chelsea could have had 294,117,647 Freddo bars instead of Torres', which are always good for a mild chuckle!

This gave me a good little Chuckle, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtcU4p-17t0

Who does cristiano play for now?

Assuming you mean Ronaldo, Real Madrid are his current employers.

Years
I wasn't onto football much this season. Any interesting transfers this year?
Only week for CL semifinals. Can't wait so much. I'm dreaming of Real v ManU in finals.

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
Torres is fail, really. Chelsea bought an out-of-form Liverpool player, and Liverpool had the last laugh. Suarez and Carrol are on a roll. People are now betting that Torres DOES NOT score rather than score in the EPL games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, Madrid and Barcelona clash in Valencia for the Cup. Should be an entertaining game, albeit I believe Barcelona will lift the cup. It's a 50-50 chance for both teams.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the transfers, nothing worth mentioning, really. Suarez transferred to Liverpool from Ajax, which was a fine deal. Andy Carrol also joined Liverpool for a record-breaking signing (English signings). Torres came to flop in Chelsea. Edin Dzeko joined Manchester City from German side Wolfsburg.

Adebayor joined from Manchester City on loan to Real Madrid. Cassano and Pazzini joined Milan and Inter respectively from Sampdoria.

Nothing interesting, really. Though the Summer transfer rumors are looking nice.

Years
Torres is fail, really. Chelsea bought an out-of-form Liverpool player, and Liverpool had the last laugh. Suarez and Carrol are on a roll. People are now betting that Torres DOES NOT score rather than score in the EPL games.

Tonight, Madrid and Barcelona clash in Valencia for the Cup. Should be an entertaining game, albeit I believe Barcelona will lift the cup. It's a 50-50 chance for both teams.

As for the transfers, nothing worth mentioning, really. Suarez transferred to Liverpool from Ajax, which was a fine deal. Andy Carrol also joined Liverpool for a record-breaking signing (English signings). Torres came to flop in Chelsea. Edin Dzeko joined Manchester City from German side Wolfsburg.

Adebayor joined from Manchester City on loan to Real Madrid. Cassano and Pazzini joined Milan and Inter respectively from Sampdoria.

Nothing interesting, really. Though the Summer transfer rumors are looking nice.

Liverpool would have the last laugh if they weren't stupid enough to pay £35m for Carroll with the money they got. I'm fairly sure that despite Torres' current performances, he will eventually be better value for money. Knowing most players of Carroll's type, he'll probably end up behind bars and slowly decline as a player before he gets released on a free.

I'm sick of some of the rumours, De Gea to United mainly. Most of our fans have invented the rumour we are after Sneijder & Pastore as well just because they want them so badly.

EDIT 26/04 - United in the final then. :D

Last edited:

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
Torres finally scores. C:

Schalke last night were simply horrible. I don't really know what was it that made their performance one of the worst among CL semi-finalists. Was it United's pressuring, good day, and outstanding performance or did they show very much respect and did not play at their best? Surely that was a totally different Schalke from Inter's tie. Hadn't it been for Neuer's powerful display, United would have demolished Schalke by a very high margin. I never expected Schalke to lose, really. They are strong home.

United actually secured one of the two seats for the final in Wembley. It needs a miracle and a bad day for Manchester to let a 2-goal lead slip at Old Trafford, a stadium the Red Devils do not know of defeat. Schalke's 'streak' just ended, in my opinion.

Years
So what we thinking tonight then, Real vs Barca?

I am thinking Real have the mental advantage after their win the other week. However, I think Barca will score first but Real will win.​

Years
Sounds good that I missed the first half.

Why does Messi have to have that magic? I dont like to wish injuries upon people but an almost painless minor injury for him would do nicely before the final.

Years
That certainly was an exciting game. I do enjoy watching them just fight and be morons at times. However, Messi is just a God when it comes to football at times. That second goal was lovely.​

Years
For once, it looked like he was going to have a bad night and he started causing a few fouls but once again he just had a moment of pure inspiration.

He just can't be stopped, I've forgotten any comparison with Ronaldo now, Messi is the best player of the current generation.

Also, Afellay had a few good moments, he looks like a pretty good player.

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
Messi only found space after Pepe's red card, and that was the 15 minutes left from the game. Overall, the game was kind of boring, really. Barcelona showed us today their dirty side; I mean Busquets and Pedro, should you make it that obvious? That red card was a little harsh to me; the guy was going for the ball, and a closer look shows he didn't even touch his feet. Alves is also a good actor; he came back from the sidelines and ran like nothing happened. Oh well, that's your referees these days.

Madrid always play dirty. Nothing new about that, really.

But high-five to Messi - yet another fine display from the youngster. The mayhem aside, Barcelona did deserve something from this game. Real Madrid, after their Cup victory, were too defensive. I thought Mourinho would risk a tad and attack, but that wasn't the case. Too many defensive midfielders, which worked just fine the last two games, and just before Pepe's ousting from the field tonight. It was Mourinho's tactics and strategy that cost Madrid this game, probably the CL, too. He had a very strong bench; Kaka and Benzema were on fire, as well as Higuain (the guy bagged a hat-trick against Valencia). So, the best coach in the world was to blame. Sorry, Mou.

The final seems to be decided, if you think about it.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Madrid wanted a 0-0. They lost. Serves them right. I still don't know why there were so many great attackers on the bench. They barely did anything at all other than try to deflect the ball back to Valdés. And meanwhile, Ronaldo was alone against the whole defence. Seeing him alone, surrounded by Barcelona players, screaming for support, was really sad.

The red card for Pepe was a bit harsh, that's right, but the foul was unnecessarily rough, he didn't touch the ball, and he was already walking on thin ice to begin with. Marcelo should also have seen something for stomping on Pedro and getting him out of the match (you could clearly see the injury on Pedro's leg) and Sergio Ramos deserved a second yellow for a handball the referee ignored. So you can't really see they were robbed. You know, you are more likely to get booked if you spend the whole match just trying to get the ball back from your rivals.

Also, Afellay should play more, he seems to be more fit these days than Pedro. The way he beat Marcelo was really nice.

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
Yeah, Marcelo did deserve a yellow card, at least, on that stomp. That referee was too controversial and lacked a hint of acumen in his decisions, mainly ones that could have heavily affected the game. The players, from both sides, affected his judgments a lot: notice how when either of the team's players goes down, 9 players surround and jump on the referee demanding a card. That wasn't a pleasant sight to see from such teams.

The game wasn't that interesting, to be honest. If it wasn't for Messi's brace, one of which was an beautiful run then pass from Afellay and the other a breathtaking solo, the game wouldn't have really portrayed a CL semi-final, especially when having two of the best teams in the world clashing.

Afellay is still developing. He did not quite grasp the Barcelona style yet, but he's on his way. He should try him out more in La Liga games, alongside Messi and Xavi. He has pace, physical strength, and good passing, but lacks the 'rhythm' that the players follow. He will become a great player in time.

Years
I found it an interesting match to watch. The tackle looked bad at first, but it wasn't too harsh on the reply, IMO; Paul Scholes tackle the other week was a red card and more brutal and stupid. Pepe's tackle was a toned down version of Scholes's and only, really deserved a yellow card, but it was in the heat of the moment really and the Barcelona's players swarmed the ref, so it was more pressure really.

I do wonder what Mourinho will do now. He is a man with a plan and can normally execute it very well. I will be watching this second match.​

Years
Madrid wanted a 0-0. They lost. Serves them right. I still don't know why there were so many great attackers on the bench. They barely did anything at all other than try to deflect the ball back to Valdés. And meanwhile, Ronaldo was alone against the whole defence. Seeing him alone, surrounded by Barcelona players, screaming for support, was really sad.

The red card for Pepe was a bit harsh, that's right, but the foul was unnecessarily rough, he didn't touch the ball, and he was already walking on thin ice to begin with. Marcelo should also have seen something for stomping on Pedro and getting him out of the match (you could clearly see the injury on Pedro's leg) and Sergio Ramos deserved a second yellow for a handball the referee ignored. So you can't really see they were robbed. You know, you are more likely to get booked if you spend the whole match just trying to get the ball back from your rivals.

Also, Afellay should play more, he seems to be more fit these days than Pedro. The way he beat Marcelo was really nice.
In fairness to Madrid though, Barca deserved a few cards.

Messi himself commited quite a few petty fouls which should have probably added up to two yellows. I personally agree with Mourinho, Barcelona do have Uefa in their back pocket.

As for Barca's diving, I certainly hope Scholes doesn't play the final.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years

I do wonder what Mourinho will do now. He is a man with a plan and can normally execute it very well. I will be watching this second match.​

Yesterday his plan was getting a 0-0, and it didn't work really well. I do wonder how he'll try to get a 0-3 in the same field where he lost 1-0 and 5-0 in his last appearances.

Also, hearing all of this, I wonder how Inter managed to beat them last year. You know, you'd think their pocket pets wouldn't allow an offside goal from Milito in the first leg and wouldn't disallow a really arguable handball goal that would have got them through in the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back