• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Is it better to have a Zebstrika as a lonely nature or a Jolly nature also what move set would be best for it?

Despite of Zebstrika's base 100 Attack stat, Zebstrika should be used more as a special attacker since its physical movepool is undesirable. A Modest/Timid natured one is what you should aim for, preferably the former since it already has that impressive base 116 speed stat.

If you have Sap Sipper, running a physical attacking set would be somewhat viable, but a special attacker set would still be the superior choice.

Zebstrika @Choice Scarf
Sap Sipper/Lightningrod ability
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power Ice/Grass

or

Zebstrika @Life Orb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Hidden Power Ice/Grass
~ Protect/Volt Switch
(this is more of a VGC set though)

Last edited:

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Despite of Zebstrika's base 100 Attack stat, Zebstrika should be used more as a special attacker since its physical movepool is undesirable. A Modest/Timid natured one is what you should aim for, preferably the former since it already has that impressive base 116 speed stat.

If you have Sap Sipper, running a physical attacking set would be somewhat viable, but a special attacker set would still be the superior choice.

Zebstrika @Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power Ice/Grass

or

Zebstrika @Life Orb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Hidden Power Ice/Grass
~ Protect/Volt Switch
(this is more of a VGC set though)

Is there a good physical move set because I have enough Specials

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Is there a good physical move set because I have enough Specials

There's not really that much you can do. You could go like, Return, Wild Charge, Double Kick and Overheat, running a mixed set (latter to hit grass types such as Amoonguss which you can do little to otherwise due to it being physically defensive usually) but really you're better off with special or nothing at all. Eelektross works better as a physical Pokemon (although overall it's better off with the special sets usually), where you can use Wild Charge/Drain Punch/Dragon Tail/Coil/Subsitute (one of the latter two, or skip on Dragon Tail, etc up to you but without Dragon Tail it's walled by Golurk).

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
There's not really that much you can do. You could go like, Return, Wild Charge, Double Kick and Overheat, running a mixed set (latter to hit grass types such as Amoonguss which you can do little to otherwise due to it being physically defensive usually) but really you're better off with special or nothing at all. Eelektross works better as a physical Pokemon (although overall it's better off with the special sets usually), where you can use Wild Charge/Drain Punch/Dragon Tail/Coil/Subsitute (one of the latter two, or skip on Dragon Tail, etc up to you but without Dragon Tail it's walled by Golurk).

Are there any decent Physical and fast pokemon that can be used?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Are there any decent Physical and fast pokemon that can be used?

Weavile and Ambipom are a couple examples. Durant is another, as well as Cinccino.

Weavile:
-Pursuit
-Ice Shard
-Low Kick
-Ice Punch/Night Slash
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Pressure

or
-Swords Dance
-Ice Punch/Ice Shard
-Night Slash
-Low Kick
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Pressure

Ambipom:
-Fake Out
-Return/Double Hit
-Low Kick
-Beat Up/Shadow Claw
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Technician

or
-Return/Double Hit
-Low Kick
-Beat Up/Pursuit
-Switcheroo/U-turn
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Technician

Durant:
-Hone Claws
-X-Scissor
-Iron Head/Superpower
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Hustle

Cinccino:
-Tail Slap
-Bullet Seed
-Rock Blast
-U-turn
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I need help understanding the roles of weather starters. I want to breed all four weather starters. My main issue is dealing with Speed. It is my understanding that the slower Pokemon gets the lasting weather effect. Now does this mean you want a low Speed IV? A Speed hindering nature?

I fully intend on breeding Max IV in everything but Speed. So what I need to know is the desired Speed IV, nature and any egg moves for these Pokemon. Also a desired Hidden Power unless this changes from person to person.

Abomasnow
Ninetails
Politoad
Tyranitar

I guess if you have the info for Hippowdon I can breed those later.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I need help understanding the roles of weather starters. I want to breed all four weather starters. My main issue is dealing with Speed. It is my understanding that the slower Pokemon gets the lasting weather effect. Now does this mean you want a low Speed IV? A Speed hindering nature?

I fully intend on breeding Max IV in everything but Speed. So what I need to know is the desired Speed IV, nature and any egg moves for these Pokemon. Also a desired Hidden Power unless this changes from person to person.

Abomasnow
Ninetails
Politoad
Tyranitar

I guess if you have the info for Hippowdon I can breed those later.
Ninetales can always set up Sunny Day when up against opposing weather inducers. HP Ice is the preferred HP type for special attacking sets; it has no reason for using Hidden Power when it's using a defensive set.

Politoed's viable HP type is Grass. It's rather slow anyway, so there's no need for max Speed IVs here, unless you're going for Choice Scarf. The best thing to do when you're up against Sand or Hail teams is not to set Politoed as your lead when the match starts, but to only bring it in when necessary.

Tyranitar has no reason to use Hidden Power, as its movepool is very wide. It's rather slow anyway, so it can use a Sassy nature alongside Fire Blast.

HP Fire is the best option for Abomasnow. Regarding the IVs, see Politoed.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Well the reason I asked is because I like perfection. Basically from what you've said none of their speed IV matter? So I can have 0 or 31?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well the reason I asked is because I like perfection. Basically from what you've said none of their speed IV matter? So I can have 0 or 31?

Ninetales does, generally most of its sets benefit from a 31 speed IV because they generally go with a Timid nature as Ninetales is more of a sweeper than the others (for example when setting up Nasty Plot, etc).

Clef

Comet Rider
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I do not understand tiers.
So a NU team means that you can only use NU pokemon? Who is there to stop me from putting a NU and a OU together?

Years
I do not understand tiers.
So a NU team means that you can only use NU pokemon? Who is there to stop me from putting a NU and a OU together?

Go on battle sims like PO, if you try to look for a battle in the NU tier and you have an OU poke, it'll tell you that and stop you from finding a battle until you've made them all NU

Clef

Comet Rider
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I don't even know what that is. I just battle via friend code or on random matchup

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't even know what that is. I just battle via friend code or on random matchup

He means http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/~~cbc.pokecommunity.com:8000/lobby. Which simulates Pokemon teams that you can put together without breeding or stuff. Those tiers only really apply to simulator play. For you, it doesn't matter if you put an OU or NU Pokemon together, while for those who use battle simulators like that it does kind of matter as there's a big difference in power in most cases (while there are exceptions).

Years
Help with Vaporeon

This is a simple question. I have this Vaporeon and I have trained it to level 100; I just wanted to know how it will fare in the metagame. I was redirected from the Quick Question thread to here so mods...don't delete this.

Vaporeon
Bold (Often dozes off) @ leftovers
HP: 464 AtK: 123 Def: 221 SP ATK: 229 SP Def: 220 Speed: 168

Surf, Toxic, Acid Armour, Protect

Should I rebreed or this a good Vaporeon?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
This is a simple question. I have this Vaporeon and I have trained it to level 100; I just wanted to know how it will fare in the metagame. I was redirected from the Quick Question thread to here so mods...don't delete this.

Vaporeon
Bold (Often dozes off) @ leftovers
HP: 464 AtK: 123 Def: 221 SP ATK: 229 SP Def: 220 Speed: 168

Surf, Toxic, Acid Armour, Protect

Should I rebreed or this a good Vaporeon?
Moveset needs work. Acid Armor is only good for Baton Pass sets:
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb

or
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Acid Armor/Aqua Ring/Wish
-Scald/Roar
Nature: Bold
EV: 244 HP/136 Def/128 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
Rate My Pokemon

Special Sweeper-Magnezone
-Thunderbolt
-Magnet Rise
-Flash Cannon
-Signal Beam
EV:
152 HP
252 SAtk
100 Spd

Physical Wall-Carracosta
Item: Chesto Berry
-Aqua Jet
-Ancient Power
-Ice Beam
-Rest
EV:
200 HP
52 Atk
252 Def

This is the start of my tournament team. I'm thinking of adding in a Blissey as a special wall, and Scizor as a baton passer. Any suggestions (other pokemon to use, builds, etc)?

Back