• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dude playing as the female character

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
Ever since I started playing Pokemon, I've always played as the male. Usually I get both versions, but even with that I always play as the guy. The only exception was Pokemon Platinum, but that was mainly because I really liked Dawn's design and I had previously beaten it as a male. I played as a guy for Johto remakes and Gen V. I've always played as a male in both Hoenn remakes.

With that being said, anytime I play Pokemon Y (I don't have X), I always keep starting the game over, regretting that I played as a guy. I'm not sure why, but I don't like his design and I really like Serena's. I think she looks great and he's dull.

Now anytime I play as a girl I keep thinking that I'm not being manly and nobody says anything about it, but I just have the feeling that someone will. But if I play as a guy, I kind of feel like I'm forcing myself to play the game in a lesser way. I just want to enjoy myself to the fullest and I really believe that playing as Serena does that. Does any other person have this problem where they like the reverse gender's design better than the character that's the same gender as them?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 22, 2022
I was the same way with X. I don't really like the way Calem looks. Plus, the female character has more clothing options.

Years
I've heard stories of male players wanting to play as a female character in this game, and given the huge number of customization options for the female it seems to be no surprise why. Most people who enjoyed X & Y loved its customization feature and they wanted to abuse it a lot, and most of the male charcater's clothing options weren't as diverse as the female's.

But then again we have to take into account that girls can wear both skirts/dresses and pants as opposed to boys only being able to wear pants, so it was expected the female players would get the better end of the stick here.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I was the same way with X. I don't really like the way Calem looks. Plus, the female character has more clothing options.

Exactly. I don't have any problem with it apart from thinking what others will say, but I feel limited with Calem and with Serena, whether you're boy or girl in real life, I feel you can express yourself more with the different clothing options.

It felt strange to me because in every Pokemon game apart from this, I at least completed the main story before using the female. I beat the game with Serena. I've never beat the game with Calem and I don't really want to. I feel with her that I'm not shackled.

That's one of the main problems of the clothing options. It's unbalanced and again, I don't need to be disadvantaged from people playing as her.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
Years
Exactly. I don't have any problem with it apart from thinking what others will say, but I feel limited with Calem and with Serena, whether you're boy or girl in real life, I feel you can express yourself more with the different clothing options.

It felt strange to me because in every Pokemon game apart from this, I at least completed the main story before using the female. I beat the game with Serena. I've never beat the game with Calem and I don't really want to. I feel with her that I'm not shackled.

That's one of the main problems of the clothing options. It's unbalanced and again, I don't need to be disadvantaged from people playing as her.
I generally feel the same way. However I once played as a female in x and I got a dude hitting on me xD it was weird o.O

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I always play as the male trainer when I pick up a Pokemon game. Then if I ever decide to play the opposite version of the game, I choose the female trainer. Just to notice small dialogue changes and also customization options.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I always play as the male trainer when I pick up a Pokemon game. Then if I ever decide to play the opposite version of the game, I choose the female trainer. Just to notice small dialogue changes and also customization options.

That's what I do as well, but the difference between this and the other Pokemon games is that I beat the game playing as Serena. I can't even get halfway through with Calem, because I always feel as though I should be playing as her since I actually like how she looks. To date, I have never beaten a Pokemon game playing as the female character apart from Y.

I nearly always play as the male, but in Perl (not a typo, I played it in German) I picked the girl because I thought the male avatar was hiiideous.

I don't see why the boys shouldn't be able to wear the skirts! Siiigh~

Ha ha, my sentiments exactly. I preferred Dawn's design to Lucas's, but it was again, another instance of being embarrassed playing as a girl.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
I've never had a problem playing as the opposite gender. I usually play as the opposite gender more often than my own.

And Justin, there's no need to worry about what others would think of you for playing as a female character. Anyone who thinks less of you for not playing as your gender is a child stuck with an early 90's mindset and you should ignore them.

Not saying that there's anything wrong with people who feel it's better to them to play as the same gender that they are either, just that no one should be looked down upon for their gender choice in a video game, whether it's the same as they are irl or not.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I have never really had a problem with it either. In most cases, the female designs are 100 times better. Usually I will play as a male my first run through. If I get the 2nd game or restart, it is usually the female.

The female has way more clothing than the male in XY as others have said, which is disappointing.

I have never really had a problem with it either. In most cases, the female designs are 100 times better. Usually I will play as a male my first run through. If I get the 2nd game or restart, it is usually the female.

The female has way more clothing than the male in XY as others have said, which is disappointing.

Another thing about the male characters, they always look similar and most of the time use dark blue as there clothing. While the females always look totally different from other females and have a huge variety of color they use from black to white.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I'm generally the opposite. For the past four generations, my choice of gender has pretty much always been a coin flip when I start a new game, but for XY (and ORAS)...due to the PSS and the overall level of connectivity between other players, I generally don't want to misrepresent myself to others online, especially given my age relative to the core demographic of these games. XD

That being said, I have started Y as a female a couple of times, but never really beaten it as one and my first time beating AS was as May. I am also confused by how inconsistent Nintendo has been with crossdressing and homosexuality in their games in recent years. Animal Crossing: New Leaf came out a couple months before XY and crossdressing was fully possible there. XD

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 30, 2014
I've never really thought about it, but thinking about it I did think that both the player models in X/Y were horrid, but then again I think badly of that game full stop. Loved the heart gold character sprite though if I had to pick a favourite.

Years
To be super honest, I always found it a bit odd that people would play as opposing gender. I dont know, it'd just seem extremely weird for me. I like to play so that the game is as realistic as possible and so I can connect to the game as much as possible. Playing the game as a female would not only feel weird, but also kinda ruin the entire "realism" idea.

So imo, it's odd, but then again, I only catch male Pokemon unless they are feminine or pink so what do i know lol.

Play it so you feel good playing, dont force anything. If you want to play as a female, go for it, no one is rating/grading the way you play, nor should it bother you. Odd or not, its subjective and dont let it affect you. The way that you like is the way you should do.
Pce

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
To be super honest, I always found it a bit odd that people would play as opposing gender. I dont know, it'd just seem extremely weird for me. I like to play so that the game is as realistic as possible and so I can connect to the game as much as possible. Playing the game as a female would not only feel weird, but also kinda ruin the entire "realism" idea.

So imo, it's odd, but then again, I only catch male Pokemon unless they are feminine or pink so what do i know lol.

Play it so you feel good playing, dont force anything. If you want to play as a female, go for it, no one is rating/grading the way you play, nor should it bother you. Odd or not, its subjective and dont let it affect you. The way that you like is the way you should do.
Pce

I've always played as my own gender (male) because it felt natural to me. The same way you felt it helped you connect with the game, I felt that same way playing as my own gender. I didn't have a problem with how any of the males looked in the first five generations except for Lucas, who I still kind of liked and didn't dislike his design enough to not feeling obligated to play as him.

That being said, Calem's design bores me and every time I try playing as him I feel restricted. I also start not having fun every time I see the rival (Serena) because I'm reminded of what I could be playing as, which in my opinion looks better.

This is the only game where I have not beaten the main story as a male. I only beat it once as a female, which I have never done before until now.

it's literally just a game and I think we read far too into gender roles in such instances.

Agreed. Sometimes I just want to pick up the game and play. I don't know why people can be so freaked out by the idea that someone would want to play as the opposite gender. It's not some bizarre concept; it's just some people trying to enjoy a game. I went out and bought this, I should be able to play it anyway I want.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
Lol u know when u can do the shouting? One of the kept niceing me and saying my name, wENT on for awhile.lol but only happeNed once and I have no way of knowing if it was infact a dude or dudet lol

Maybe they wanted to have your babies and you could be a family of Pokemon trainers.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I feel like this needs to be framed.

You're right. I just foreshadowed your future family. You're going to run across that person again and they'll reveal themselves as being the opposite gender of you. They'll then crouch on their knees and present you with a ring, asking if you'll marry them. You'll say no and they'll tell you, "The story can't continue until you say yes." You'll say yes and then within the next five years, you will have had at least three children. They will all begin playing Pokemon roughly around the age of 5 or 6 then they will become better players as they grow with the games. You will give them all copies of LeafGreen and FireRed and then give them HeartGold and SoulSilver followed by Omega Red and Alpha Sapphire before continuing into Diamond, Pearl and Platinum and then Black and White and Black 2 and White 2, finally going to X and Y. They will give you their games as they graduate from high school and you will record them playing, as well as give them advice.

The journey continues. They all strive to be the very best, like no one ever was.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
Years
You're right. I just foreshadowed your future family. You're going to run across that person again and they'll reveal themselves as being the opposite gender of you. They'll then crouch on their knees and present you with a ring, asking if you'll marry them. You'll say no and they'll tell you, "The story can't continue until you say yes." You'll say yes and then within the next five years, you will have had at least three children. They will all begin playing Pokemon roughly around the age of 5 or 6 then they will become better players as they grow with the games. You will give them all copies of LeafGreen and FireRed and then give them HeartGold and SoulSilver followed by Omega Red and Alpha Sapphire before continuing into Diamond, Pearl and Platinum and then Black and White and Black 2 and White 2, finally going to X and Y. They will give you their games as they graduate from high school and you will record them playing, as well as give them advice.

The journey continues. They all strive to be the very best, like no one ever was.
XD LOL wait I'm not ready!

Well, see? You play another gender and before u knlw it u will have kids with someone from japan.

Back