• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeCommunity's Competitive Battling Community

Ársa

k.
Years
@Tide: That mentions only the physical set. Lucario's special movepool is equally as deep, and is considered the better of the two. It also has the ability to run mixed sets that can compromise Hippo, and many other common counters.

@Pokedra: I am aware of the 4MSS. However it has been argued (and I agree to some extent) that by knowing that Lucario has access to so many different combinations, it's hard to switch into it without definitively knowing which moves it is carrying in advance. You essentially need to scout say a crunch on your Trevenant so that you know it isn't carrying Ice Punch (to use your example). Just by being in the game, it can dictate how the opponent reacts without even doing anything. The fact Mega Luke can run an SD / 4-slot Physical / 4-slot special / NP / Mixed-sweeper set, and be effective at all 5, means that you can build an entire team around trying to effectively wall any form of Luke, but then what?

I honestly think that with the hype of Kanga and Mawile, people have forgotten Luke. Playing Showdown, I rarely see it at all - and I'd assume the usage stats would back that up. Although with MeGar gone, it has probably seen an increase.

I know it's hard to argue the situational 'it could have this this or this', but that's exactly what can happen. A cautious player will be wary when Luke comes in to the point they overplay it. Even revenge killing becomes an issue, because Extremespeed outdoes Talonflame's +1 Brave Bird.

I'm certainly not making an argument for it to be banned, but I agree that of MeGar and Mega Luke, I'd certainly prefer facing the former.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
I'm curious what people think about the recent usage of Focus Energy + Scope Lens Kingdra. Most people play with hax items banned, but for those that don't, this combo gives moves a 100% chance to crit apparently, which works well for Kingdra due to access to Draco Meteor and Sniper. Do you think this is a viable strategy or just a new form of Double Team + Brightpowder abuse?

Ársa

k.
Years
The main issue with this is that Kingdra forgoes Swift Swim in order to make this set playable. Without it, Kingdra is outsped by a number of important threats. Not to mention with the introduction of Fairy types and the dent in Kingdra's moveslots - as well as the turn it takes to set Focus Energy up + loss of Life Orb - and without significant team support and set-up I think it's fairly average.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
I want to test out my new team... Anyone up for a battle? Or would this not be the appropriate place... Well, there are threads specifically for that, but, I feel that asking here gives me better odds of finding good competition, unless that is against the rules >> As to avoid getting tangential, PM me if interested, or call me out if this violates a rule.
you can go to our battle server and find some people who are willing to battle you. we have a number of experienced regulars so yea, why not give it a try? im not saying you broke a rule btw

and i agree with arsa:
turn it takes to set Focus Energy up + loss of Life Orb - and without significant team support and set-up I think it's fairly average

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
gives moves a 100% chance to crit apparently

apparently it's not a 100% crit chance? i've tried it 3 times and it only critted once sooo :x

jesus christ i'm not a member here yet haha

Username: Zeffy
Answer to current topic: why is this required? :/
Experience in competitive battling: Played a lot of Gen 4. On and off during Gen 5. Looking to find something worthwhile this gen :]
Favourite Pokemon(s): Goodra, Cofagrigus
Preferred playstyle/core: Stall, balanced, hyper offense
Extra: i'm not the best

Last edited:

Ooka

Years
apparently it's not a 100% crit chance? i've tried it 3 times and it only critted once sooo :x

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67861569
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Critical_hit

Dunno, maybe Showdown hasn't updated their Focus Energy mechanic yet.

Another possible user of it, just to watch out for anyways.

Infernape@Scope Lens
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4SpA
Hasty nature
-Focus Energy
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Thunder Punch/HP Ice/Mach Punch

Ársa

k.
Years

Ooka

Years
Also to note, things like Absol with Super Luck using Night Slash holding a Scope Lens also have a 100% crit rate. Basically anything that increases a crit chance raises it by 1 stage (Except Focus Energy, which raises it by 2), with 3 being max (100%).

Years
Looks like Kangaskhanite is being suspected at Smogon. I'm hoping it is banned, hes just way too powerful for OU, really, great bulk that allows him to set up, serviceable speed and priority to make up for ithe speed anyways. Really no place in the tier.

Ársa

k.
Years
Also to note, things like Absol with Super Luck using Night Slash holding a Scope Lens also have a 100% crit rate. Basically anything that increases a crit chance raises it by 1 stage (Except Focus Energy, which raises it by 2), with 3 being max (100%).

Scope Lens Togekiss sounds like fun.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Scope Lens Kingdra with Sticky Web support is nasty indeed. It blasts past conventional counter like Ferrothorn pretty easily. Standard Ferrothorn takes ~40% from Draco Meteor so factor in some prior damage and you can 2HKO it. If you can get run then Hydro Pump maims basically anything that isn't named Blissey or has Water Absorb. The thing is you can't bait out Draco Meteor as -6 Kingdra hits the same as regular Kingdra. It's good if supported right.

Rain Boosted Hydro Pump fries most Fairies too. Florges for example with Max HP/SpD
317 Atk vs 442 Def & 354 HP (110 Base Power): 256 - 303 (83.92% - 96.32%)

Years
Looks like a pretty nasty set, a couple friends were trying it out. The stat vs Florges seems especially shocking. Speaking of somewhat underrated Pokemon, has anyone been using mega Mawile? Its power is really ridiculous, it can 2HKO Skarm at +2 with Play Rough, and Sucker Punch OHKOs Max HP Heatran, Genesect, and numerous other Pokes after SR. Intimidate support, the ability to force pokes like Chansey, Mandibuzz etc out and get a SD if you predict correctly, along with decent priority and a huge power'd 105 base make it a very potent Pokemon. Obviously Sucker Punch's nature adds a bit of challenge to sweeping but in the end, Mawile is a great way to help break stall [Quagsire also 2HKOd by Play Rough with the boosts negated] and can plow through teams lategame if you predict enough or have scouted enough that the plan will work. Very good poke.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 4, 2017
Honestly, just the prospect of 100% crit hit rate makes my skin crawl. That sounds extremely deadly. And scary.... Kingdra has a good Special Attack rate, so Draco Meteor might be just a guaranteed 1HKO for a lot of Pokemon...

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I didn't do so well in my last tournament, so I'm hoping to redeem myself with this one. Although, if my first battle is a hint about anything, it's not going to go well! XD

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Online now
Js, but who is dumb enough to let you set up sticky web, rain AND use Focus Energy AND then an attack move without Kingdra being either outsped, walled or killed or either rain/sticky web being removed? Tbh that situation is highly unrealistic. :/ It kind of reminds me of that silly power swap trick room shuckle set.

Ive seen a few Focus Energy users and they all seem like a silly overrated gimmick really and either die, get outsped, statused or still just flat out walled even with the crit because crits are no longer 2x and are just 1.5x which makes a huge difference.

0+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD NEUTRAL Florges in Rain on a critical hit: 247-292 (68.6 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingdra: 236-278 (81 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeaaahhh....

Conclusion: Still a weak, sub par set. Still loses to Sp.Def.

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Js, but who is dumb enough to let you set up sticky web, rain AND use Focus Energy AND then an attack move without Kingdra being either outsped, walled or killed or either rain/sticky web being removed? Tbh that situation is highly unrealistic. :/ It kind of reminds me of that silly power swap trick room shuckle set.

Ive seen a few Focus Energy users and they all seem like a silly overrated gimmick really and either die, get outsped, statused or still just flat out walled even with the crit because crits are no longer 2x and are just 1.5x which makes a huge difference.

0+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD NEUTRAL Florges in Rain on a critical hit: 247-292 (68.6 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingdra: 236-278 (81 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeaaahhh....

Conclusion: Still a weak, sub par set. Still loses to Sp.Def.
You forgot Sniper, 2.25x not 1.5x for a critical. The loss of Swift Swim is huge but the power gain is massive. Rain isn't too bad if you run Politoed and Kingdra has some setup opportunities as 75/95/95 bulk and two 4x resistances is pretty good. I'll say yeah sticky web is hard to keep on the field but really if you play it right you only need one turn to FE then spam high powered moves. Not to mention most things at +2 can't break Florges either. So yeah I don't think it's a killer set by any means but it's certainly not a gimmick and can be deadly if supported by the right team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
new topic i guess:

What is the best playstyle in X/Y?

ill chime in later

Right now, it's bulky offense, IMO, given the fact that a lot of bulky Pokemon were introduced in X/Y. I still like fast offense, personally.

Also another announcement: Kangaskhanite got booted up to Ubers. I never used Mega Kangaskhan myself (though I plan to in the future), but from what I've read, it has a lot of raw power after two Power-Up Punch boosts. It also has priority in Sucker Punch to pick off any revenge killers, as well as good bulk for a sweeper.

What does anyone else think?

Back