• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Latest OU Suspect Test: Mega Metagross (voting results are in)

Anti

return of the king
Years
just gonna say i predicted this go me go me i am great etc

i think landorus deserves a suspect before slowbro, but hnnnnnnnnng slowbro.
also i am p sure they will have to suspect mmeta again in the future.

really agree about another suspect when there is a ton of precedent for that very thing (dpp latias being an obvious example, but shaymin-s, garchomp, and manaphy also got multiple tests) and i think this is a mon that is plenty broken such that the 57% pro-ban majority isn't just going to go away. even so, for the time being, the process is the process, and for all we know the metagame could better adapt to meta. not like i see it happening, but whatever.

anyway as for other mons i definitely want mega slowbro around if mega metagross is going to be (broken checking broken but metagross is way worse), landorus is suspect worthy but i'm not sold on its ban by any stretch. mega sableye's bandwagon has collapsed but that's probably a suspect worthy mon in a lebron-like transition where it gets shat on so much that its perception actually underrates it a bit, which will almost certainly reverse at some point (as it did with lebron).

#basketballanalogies

anyway yeah this mon was not only borked but it's like the 16th most used mon in ou but the single best/most powerful. i would probably be less annoyed about building for it to insane degrees if it showed up on more than 1/8 of teams but yolo. effing mega evolutions man lol

Years
Oh great, people think Mega Slowbro might get the check next? Although that monster Defense is worth noting, and unlike Steelix and Aggron, has feasible Special Defense to back it up at least since it can learn Calm Mind. (And no critical hits don't help...)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Oh great, people think Mega Slowbro might get the check next? Although that monster Defense is worth noting, and unlike Steelix and Aggron, has feasible Special Defense to back it up at least since it can learn Calm Mind. (And no critical hits don't help...)

Mega Slowbro's (unboosted) Special Defense is equal to Mega Aggron's and lower than Mega Steelix's. The latter two can also afford to go specially defensive, as they have good special resistances.

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
As a Mega Slowbro user, I'd be bummed if I didn't get to keep using it in Prism League, but as a wall, it's stupid difficult to break unless you happen to run Gastrodon, Cradily, or something else with Storm Drain. Oh, and Zekrom beat mine with Serperior once I think.

I wonder how it would do as a Wonder Room sometimes (singles only though)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
I dont think there is a strong enough pro ban camp enough for Slowbro mega.

Honestly it has its issues (status, strong special attackers still annihilating even it after a cm, stuff like CB Tar and grass types exist still so its kinda your fault for not running one/some of these things plus it has shit coverage if you use CroBro lol.) i feel its actually good for the metagame in that it counter balances offense in some ways, the same with Sableye. Defensive teams do not have alot to play with this gen so i honestly feel mega bro is healthy (as far as megas go >_>) in that it forces offense to actually adapt to something without just mindlessly spamming pokemon with move which it usually does, same with mega Sableye. Heaven forbid offence has to THINK when teambuilding about strong defensive threats! Its crit blocking i feel is also healthy for the meta because unlike Suicune, you cant noobishly spam moves and hope they crit eventually which is hilariously what people actually do and just get crushed. It kinda reminds me of people who bawww about Mega Sable because their whole team is wisp weak and set up bait for it and dont have fairies, counters, status moves that bypass mbounce see; scald and plume or even pokemon to absorb its wisp like Tran and Talon or pokemon that cream it like Sub Mind keld etc. Again, its your fault for not using checks/counters to it and last time i checked these were all standard on offensive teams soooo lol.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
what DA said. and besides what? there are other megas that are way more needed of a ban than mega slowbro. you cant ban mega slowbro and still have gardevoir and metagross and diancie around lol imo the order should be metagross, gardevoir, diancie, slowbro~sableye if sableye even. that one's kind of on the border for me.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I dont think there is a strong enough pro ban camp enough for Slowbro mega.

Honestly it has its issues (status, strong special attackers still annihilating even it after a cm, stuff like CB Tar and grass types exist still so its kinda your fault for not running one/some of these things plus it has muk coverage if you use CroBro lol.) i feel its actually good for the metagame in that it counter balances offense in some ways, the same with Sableye. Defensive teams do not have alot to play with this gen so i honestly feel mega bro is healthy (as far as megas go >_>) in that it forces offense to actually adapt to something without just mindlessly spamming pokemon with move which it usually does, same with mega Sableye. Heaven forbid offence has to THINK when teambuilding about strong defensive threats! Its crit blocking i feel is also healthy for the meta because unlike Suicune, you cant noobishly spam moves and hope they crit eventually which is hilariously what people actually do and just get crushed. It kinda reminds me of people who bawww about Mega Sable because their whole team is wisp weak and set up bait for it and dont have fairies, counters, status moves that bypass mbounce see; scald and plume or even pokemon to absorb its wisp like Tran and Talon or pokemon that cream it like Sub Mind keld etc. Again, its your fault for not using checks/counters to it and last time i checked these were all standard on offensive teams soooo lol.

this is all true but mega slowbro is an offensive threat as much as a defensive one, and most of its checks are very easy to wear down. idg how we got to mega bro though cause as much as i dislike it (i just think it's the epitome of a matchup mon) there are bigger issues starting with the pokemon this thread is about.

in any case, might as well see how the meta adapts in the meantime. i've enjoyed running mega bro but i will definitely brush off my old mmeta build. :) pursuit is insane on it btw, glad i'm here go me.

Years
i am very optimistic about a potential landorus suspect test, it doesn't have any beneficial effect on the metagame and a large number of people support its ban, so hopefully he is suspected in the near future

happy about metagross avoiding a ban as well

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Gardy needs to go as soon as the stall threat megas get the ban, if you ask me.

As highlighted in my previous post, this is mostly a failure to adapt because both of them have ALOT of checks and counters. Most of which are commonplace on offensive AND defensive teams.

I honestly cant see how the stall megas need testing before mega gardy. That is actually redic. Gardy literally has about 3 switch ins and 2 of those arent very viable and get wasted by wisp anyway so i mean lol.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
As highlighted in my previous post, this is mostly a failure to adapt because both of them have ALOT of checks and counters. Most of which are commonplace on offensive AND defensive teams.

I honestly cant see how the stall megas need testing before mega gardy. That is actually redic. Gardy literally has about 3 switch ins and 2 of those arent very viable and get wasted by wisp anyway so i mean lol.

the only switch-in to gardevoir that i have (and abundantly use lol) is jirachi and what is the other one? bronzong? i mean it really is op
also karp you were anti-ban? disappoint :(

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
the only switch-in to gardevoir that i have (and abundantly use lol) is jirachi and what is the other one? bronzong? i mean it really is op

Jira, Zong, Doublade, Sp.Def Forretress and Wish Protect Toxic Delphox are as near good counters/checks as you're gonna get. 3 of them get ruined by Wisp. Doublade runs rest and Delphox is immune....sooo lol.

Toxic Chansey can check it once but hates CM Physhocks and Taunt.

Years

mega scizor is the other, but yeah switchins to M-Gardevoir are really uncommon, another reason why I like Metagross staying, in addition to making SpDef SD Glisc have an additional cost for using it

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
The thing is that most of the things said about an eventual Mega Gardevoir ban apply to almost any stallbreaker. Kyurem-B also dismantled stall teams (read: purely passive stall teams) in BW, but it was OK. How about we suspect Heracross, Crawdaunt, Exploud, Haxorus and Lando-I (which probably needs a suspect anyway), because they eat stall alive as well except for one or two pokemon they can't beat. Actually, we may as well quickban Rampardos since that thing has NO switch-ins.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
Years
The thing is that most of the things said about an eventual Mega Gardevoir ban apply to almost any stallbreaker. Kyurem-B also dismantled stall teams (read: purely passive stall teams) in BW, but it was OK. How about we suspect Heracross, Crawdaunt, Exploud, Haxorus and Lando-I (which probably needs a suspect anyway), because they eat stall alive as well except for one or two pokemon they can't beat. Actually, we may as well quickban Rampardos since that thing has NO switch-ins.

Let's not create dangerous precedents and try to suspect stuff just because it hits extremely hard. Just as Heracross and Exploud get blocked by Clefable and Chansey respectively, M-Gardy gets blocked by Bronzong, Jirachi and Victini.

hmmm, if i may paraphrase the emperor, the slippery slope fallacy is strooooooong with you.

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2022
tbh if you take a look at the voting thread, many of those who voted 'do not ban' were those who got voting reqs with gxes in the 70s, and if you tally the votes of those who had gxes over 80 such as myself, you'd probably be looking at a much different outcome.

I really think suspect tests should have an added requirement that you must at least have a gxe of 80 to vote, 75 at the very least. if you're a semi-decent player you should be able to achieve at least that much, with the current system we have players who have absolutely no idea what they're doing but manage to get reqs with a horrible win-loss record by doing an insane amount (200-300) of battles.

Back