• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I dont get this tier thing and why its important. Are the tiers the only ones that work well together or something? I dont play on Smogans little competition. Im training for the big fish thats happening next sunday.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I dont get this tier thing and why its important. Are the tiers the only ones that work well together or something? I dont play on Smogans little competition. Im training for the big fish thats happening next sunday.

The tiers serve to indicate which Pokémon are viable in standard play (the OU environment).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Can you explain a little bit more? I dont quite understand.

The OU environment is the standard environment everyone plays in. A Pokémon's viability in that environment is determined by its stats, typing, movepool and/or abilities. Some Pokémon perform better in OU better than others, like Hydreigon, Salamence and Jirachi, mainly because of their good movepools. Pokémon such as Arcanine and Heracross don't perform too well in OU because their stats hold them back (in their case, it's Speed and defenses). I recommend reading each Pokémon's Smogon article to see why each Pokémon is viable in OU.

archard93

Passionate Trainer
Years
Is Shuckle worth using?

Hey everyone, I'm new on here so I don't know if this is where I'm supposed to post this, but I've finished EV training my team to lv.100 now and I'm planning on training more. I was thinking about Shuckle and Blissey, because my team at the moment is mostly about power and buffing stats, rather than supporting and inflicting status' moves like Toxic. But before I start I thought I should see what other people think so I'm not completely wasting my time. Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
No. Shuckle isn't worth using at all. While its defenses are incredibly high, its low HP, lack of recovery outside of Rest and bad defensive typing undermine them. Its low offensive stats force it to use Toxic to deal damage to opponents.

Blissey, on the other hand, is much more useful because of its high HP and Special Defense. While its Defense is low, maximum Defense investment helps it survive several non-Fighting physical hits. It also has a recovery move to help it last in battle, as well as a usable enough Special Attack to use Flamethrower to cause damage when it has to:
-Aromatherapy/Heal Bell/Stealth Rock
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
-Toxic
Nature: Calm
EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

archard93

Passionate Trainer
Years
Okay thanks that's given me a lot to think about, it's a Shame about Shuckle because I thought he had potential, plus he's really cool, I'll give Blissey a go then for the time being, any other pokemon I could use for support? I also thought about trying scizor and/or skarmory, any thoughts?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Skarmory is better off as a support 'mon than Scizor, as the latter is better off as a strong physical attacker that can revenge kill with Bullet Punch:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird/Taunt
Nature: Impish/Careful
EVs: 244 HP/252 Def/32 SDef or 244 HP/32 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy

or
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Taunt
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Okay thanks that's given me a lot to think about, it's a Shame about Shuckle because I thought he had potential, plus he's really cool, I'll give Blissey a go then for the time being, any other pokemon I could use for support? I also thought about trying scizor and/or skarmory, any thoughts?

I battled someone who used a chansey/shuckle double battle Shuckle used guard swap and Chansey used Minimize trolled the F outta me then brought in Suicune and that used Psych Up. -_-

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Why is BST an important number?

Generally higher BST means better Pokemon but that's not always the case. It's just the total of all base stats but it means nothing by itself.

Slaking has 670 BST and is NU.
Blaziken has 520 BST and is Uber.

You have to take into account movepool, abilities and typing as well.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Can you tell me a good moveset for a Manectric in OU?

I'm afraid to say this, but Manectric sucks in OU because it's outclassed by Jolteon, which is faster and stronger than Manectric is, but if you really want to use it in OU for some reason:
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)/Thunderbolt
-Overheat
-Switcheroo
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightningrod

or
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Flamethrower