• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rematching Trainers based on Badge Count

WriterRaven

I Illustrate Through Words
Years
Hi all. Newcomer here (previously on the Essentials wiki's forum) with a slightly oddball question.

One of the most important points of the game I'm working on is that you can challenge the Gyms in any order you choose. The levels of wild Pokémon, and the teams of most Trainers, are supposed to change depending on your badge count. With this particular plan, it is possible that a player will travel the entire region, battle as many Trainers as possible between taking on Gym Leaders, and then go back to challenge everyone again.

What I'm aiming to do is set up a Trainer to be able to battle the player again, with a different team, after the player's earned another Badge. For example, the player defeats Trainer A's first team before taking on any of the eight Gyms, defeats a Gym Leader (thus collecting their first Badge), then goes back and is challenged by Trainer A again. A should now use the second team in his event pages because the player's earned their first Badge.

I've figured out how to set up multiple teams for a specific Trainer. I already do that for the Gym Trainers and Gym Leaders: each Trainer has a set of Conditional Branches that force different dialogue and battle depending on the player's badge count, and there's an event page for Self Switch A to give their defeat message. However, I don't know what to do to adjust this system for Trainers who will be battled more than once, unlike Gym Leaders and Gym Trainers.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. =)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
It might be a little complicated, but you could do an extra event that only triggers when the badge count has the right number, while the original trainer event disappears at that count (or the new event simply deletes the old one the moment it triggers)

Back