• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
About the shirt-

I think I'm leaning more towards the school's favor. Placing on a shirt that says "I Enjoy Vagina" isn't one you put on in innocence, if you know what I mean. It's rather inappropriate and unnecessarily crude, and it's not really the best way to display LGBT pride (if that's what she was going for.) It makes her look more of a pervert than "so I'm bi and that's cool yeah. :3"

And perhaps it's a good thing schools are on top of these things. I mean, we wouldn't want an idiot waltzing in with a shirt with "YOU'RE A ***" printed in neon white letters, now would we?

But yes, I agree that this ordeal shouldn't be as popularized as it is. There are much more important issues to focus on, like marriage rights and understanding education.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I don't think she felt discriminated against at all. I think she was just an obnoxious and rebellious teenager who got pissed off when the school told her she couldn't do what she wanted to do and then did what she had to do to get her revenge. I'm a little impressed by that, to be honest, but it doesn't do any good for the LGBT community lol.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I don't think she felt discriminated against at all. I think she was just an obnoxious and rebellious teenager who got pissed off when the school told her she couldn't do what she wanted to do and then did what she had to do to get her revenge. I'm a little impressed by that, to be honest, but it doesn't do any good for the LGBT community lol.

Also, her mother encouraged her to get her "message" out on the news. This is after all a 15-year-old girl; her mother should not have exploited her for a bereaved time on television. Not to mention, contributing to yet another trivial and distracting LGBT story.

Altix

Son of a Snivy and a Zoroark
Years
Yes, she should have wore a shirt that was more... schooly. Like the "All the cool girls are lesbians" shirt. @Shining: Yes you :P I saw your Grammar Nazi ism in your blog. Correcting the signs on that ATM XD

SchwarzRozen

Sugary Delight
Years
Well I guess its when I want to experiment with feminine stuff with friends or have interest in anything else besides what I've been into. I'm a MAAB and I'm also quite big, and known to hang out with a bunch of guys, so I've never really been seen as someone who is find with lets say wearing a dress, and whenever I say "Hey, I do that, and I don't think its something that is 'TMI' "

I could go on and on about how there are parts of my social life where I feel like any kind of other gender expression or sexual expression (on the more gay side at that) has just been ignored, taken as a joke, or seen as something that is "Too much information".

Altix

Years
New topic: How do you feel about Transgenders being classified as having gender identity disorder? I am not sure yet.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I feel odd about it myself since I am one. If someone wants to be called trans and not female or male like if they are in the middle of it that is fine. In fact I wish sites would have trans as an option for forums and stuff and not just male or female. It gets annoying explaining to people why I sign up as female but I have a boy voice.

SchwarzRozen

Sugary Delight
Years
I just leave everything as blank, and just try to avoid the subject of my gender all together, thats how I handle it. Most people assume I'm female, probably because of how I post and my icons and what not, as I can be really feminine in that department x3

Sadly my voice is not androgynous, and its hard to fool anyone with it. Well its really my microphone, everything that goes in is like 50% deeper and I don't like that .-.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Wait semester? Semester is from sex (six) and mensis (month)...it means six months. Wtf does that have to do with sexuality or genders at all? o____O;

droomph

weeb
Years
Well sex/sechs means six quite a lot of languages (two) and we've interpreted that as seeexxxxxxxxxx instead of 6.

And semester, seme-...they all just have creepy minds I guess.

Oh and mensis and menstru- okay I'll stop.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
SchwarzRozen said:
I'm a MAAB

A what now? I don't think I've seen that acronym before lol

As to transgender people being classified as having a gender identity disorder, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. I guess if we're speaking technically, that's what it is, or could at least be seen as. The gender they are in their minds does not match their physical body, which could definitely be seen as a disorder from a medical or psychological standpoint.

Societally though, I don't approve. Once you transcend the strict medical definitions, it's all just differences in people. Some people's genders match their sexes, others don't and that's really all there is to it. I guess it's seen as a disorder because people resort to medical treatment to bring their body in line with their mind, but the trouble is I'm not sure if their association with a 'disorder' ends once they've successfully done so or once they've decided that it's not something they need to do to be happy.

Toujours said:
Wait semester? Semester is from sex (six) and mensis (month)...it means six months. Wtf does that have to do with sexuality or genders at all? o____O;

Yup, feminists be crazy.

Kiyoshi the Polar Bear said:
Please take time out your busy day to take a look at this image.

Click Here.

I can't find anything I like more than this.

Awwwwww that's so sweet! I just tried to put it in the original post of this thread down the left-hand side so that it'd line up with the CSS, but my CSS skills suck so it didn't work :P. Would have looked awesome though!

SchwarzRozen

Sugary Delight
Years
MAAB - Male assigned at birth,
(FAAB means Female assigned at birth)

Its just a short little way of saying "Hey, I was born as a dude"

A lot of trans* people on reddit and tumblr use it, and I thought it'd be known here too~

(I myself am Genderqueer, and I'm a tad bit more on the feminine side of things)

Years
Please take time out your busy day to take a look at this image.

Click Here.

I can't find anything I like more than this.
That is très nerdy and adorable.

As to transgender people being classified as having a gender identity disorder, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. I guess if we're speaking technically, that's what it is, or could at least be seen as. The gender they are in their minds does not match their physical body, which could definitely be seen as a disorder from a medical or psychological standpoint.

Societally though, I don't approve. Once you transcend the strict medical definitions, it's all just differences in people. Some people's genders match their sexes, others don't and that's really all there is to it. I guess it's seen as a disorder because people resort to medical treatment to bring their body in line with their mind, but the trouble is I'm not sure if their association with a 'disorder' ends once they've successfully done so or once they've decided that it's not something they need to do to be happy.
I just want to say that I agree with this exactly.

MAAB - Male assigned at birth,
(FAAB means Female assigned at birth)

Its just a short little way of saying "Hey, I was born as a dude"

A lot of trans* people on reddit and tumblr use it, and I thought it'd be known here too~

(I myself am Genderqueer, and I'm a tad bit more on the feminine side of things)
To go into a little more explanation:

Using "male assigned at birth" or "female assigned at birth" (I've also seen "assigned female at birth") is one of the clearest ways to talk about trans people. It seems it's very easy to confuse someone who isn't down with the lingo. Like if I said I'm a girl and I'm trans, some people would think I was born a girl, some wouldn't, and some wouldn't know what to think. And the reason it's better than saying "biologically" male or female is that some people are intersexed and there is always the argument that one's mind, one's brain, is where gender resides and that is certainly "biological." So "assigned at birth" is essentially how you say "I was raised and socialized as a girl/boy" and avoids having to talk about people's privates.

Altix

Years
No new news on the gsa. i am beginning to get a bit impatient. I was grumpy today so I tumbld for a bit. I love Tumblr. I am like.... I think the term is boy crazy, but I feel awkward saying that. So I will say, I want to make out with all of the boys. I think I do that thing where I just talk about a whole bunch of random things... I can not remember the term for it though. I wish there was a spell to make boys gay.... Oh, Harry Potter where might you be hiding? I have been doing my best to stay off of pokemon websites and stuff because I can not afford Black 2 yet. Love you guys!

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I went through three or four years where I thought I was transgender, and I myself used the term "gender identity disorder" a lot. It wasn't offensive to me, and I figured that if my body was female, but my brain was pretty much male, then that's exactly what it was. It's a disorder because it's something that's off and doesn't match up.

Maybe it's just me, but I was more comfortable explaining it via use of the GID term, rather than using the term transgender. Only because GID could explain why I felt that way, or that I wanted to be seen as a guy, when Transgender as a term said to them "Hey, I'm a guy, but I used to be physically female and switched 8D". So, No, I felt like I had GID so I wanted to be a guy, I didn't want to be seen as "trans". -w-

I'm gonna stop typing, because that's probably confusing as heck to read. xD

& Altix, I'm still wishing you luck with the GSA! Also, I understand perfectly about the tumblr thing, that site has had me hooked for a year now. omg, and B/W 2 is months away for me. v o v

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I went through three or four years where I thought I was transgender, and I myself used the term "gender identity disorder" a lot. It wasn't offensive to me, and I figured that if my body was female, but my brain was pretty much male, then that's exactly what it was. It's a disorder because it's something that's off and doesn't match up.

Maybe it's just me, but I was more comfortable explaining it via use of the GID term, rather than using the term transgender. Only because GID could explain why I felt that way, or that I wanted to be seen as a guy, when Transgender as a term said to them "Hey, I'm a guy, but I used to be physically female and switched 8D". So, No, I felt like I had GID so I wanted to be a guy, I didn't want to be seen as "trans". -w-

I'm gonna stop typing, because that's probably confusing as heck to read. xD

& Altix, I'm still wishing you luck with the GSA! Also, I understand perfectly about the tumblr thing, that site has had me hooked for a year now. omg, and B/W 2 is months away for me. v o v

Nah I think that makes perfect sense! I kinda like the way that you put it too.. I guess it throws people off because of the word "disorder" that has a bad connotation towards it, even though it doesn't necessarily have to actually mean anything bad- just that they don't match up like you say :3

:c I am probably being confusing haha!

And that girl with the shirt just seems like she was trying to be a **** disturber wearing that sort of thing >_> It has nothing to do with gender stuff it is just distasteful and unclassy.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I think 'GID' could be rephrased, but generally, I think that it's a medical issue that does have a great effect on the patient and should be labeled appropriately as a serious medical condition. If I were born female, but innately identified as male, I would feel conflicted, and hopefully my dilemma would be seen as an important medical issue that could be treated by non-hormonal therapy, hormone treatment, and/or surgical alteration until I felt complacent with my appearance as it relates to my gender. At that time in which I reached complacency, I would rather not have the status as a patient of GID, for at that time I would not have an issue with my physical appearance as it relates to my gender, and therefore no serious medical condition. However, while I was conflicted with my gender identity, I think I would like to receive treatment and be diagnosed with GID or possibly an alternative term that would indicate a psychological concern. Also, I believe that any and all types of treatments endorsed by the APA to treat GID (within reason) should be covered by health insurance, since it can be a serious condition.

On another, far less serious, note...

I was wondering what shows/movies you guys like (or dislike) to watch that have either LGBT themes or characters, ie. Glee, The New Normal, Modern Family, Brokeback Mountain, The Birdcage, ect.

Also, what would you like to see more of in LGBT-related shows?

Years
Some things ty said make sense. GID, at the heart of it, is about there being a disorder between a person's body and mental image of themselves. When they've gotten their body to a place that they're happy with it's not really a disorder then because they've treated it. (I hesitate to use the word "cure" in there anywhere because that could bring up all kinds of misunderstandings.) Someone like that could then, perhaps, call themselves "trans" but it gets into confusing territory again.

All this is why I prefer the umbrella term "queer." It's not specific so there isn't much in the way of misunderstanding. It invites someone to say "what do you mean?" and lets you explain it to your level of comfort.

I was wondering what shows/movies you guys like (or dislike) to watch that have either LGBT themes or characters, ie. Glee, The New Normal, Modern Family, Brokeback Mountain, The Birdcage, ect.

Also, what would you like to see more of in LGBT-related shows?
I don't usually like "typical" LGBT themed TV because a lot of it is often either too campy/comedic and that gets old for me after a few episodes. I don't watch a whole lot of TV anyway.

I do like movies though. The Birdcage was fun, and I like But I'm A Cheerleader and satires like that. Haven't actually seen Brokeback Mountain though.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I've seen Modern Family, some of Glee, Brokeback Mountain, Birdcage (saw it when I was very young), and a movie called Transamerica. I like them as pieces of media, but I didn't watch them specifically for teh gay. However, recently I've been watching Degrassi again due to a couple of different LGBT relationships coming into it more, and I'm interested in them. v w v

Back