• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I think it's perfectly acceptable, but not everyone does. I recently wrote a oneshot about Bugsy, in which he owns a Ninjask, and I got slammed for it. "Ninjask's not a Johto Pokemon," blah blah blah. Yet in the ten years between GSC and this oneshot, do you think that maybe, just maybe, Bugsy might have taken a holiday?

You don't even really have to stretch it that much, either. With GSDS (I refuse to call it HGSS because I'm lame) coming out, I wouldn't be surprised if Gen III and Gen IV were included in Johto through shiny, post-E4 features. And even then, it's not like newer gen Pokémon haven't ever appeared in older gen regions in the first place. Anyone else remember that time in GSC when Murkrow were found in Kanto? Fun times.

In other words, just because they were introduced in a certain gen doesn't mean they can only live in that gen's main region. I mean, come on, now. Murkrow was only found in Kanto. (Which, uh, doesn't quite make sense, considering Johto's huge-as-eff forest in the west, but whatever.)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
And Astinus, sorry. ^^; I would also forget to save my reviews whenever Serebii lags. -_-
LOL, I was just joking with you. ;-)

I also agree with the Gym Leaders having Pokemon not found in the region. It's been shown in canon to happen. It makes sense that they would. They can travel on vacations, or be gifted with Pokemon.

Also, in the anime, Togepi's egg was found in Kanto, yet it was "officially" introduced in the Johto generation. So there's another example.

It also makes sense with some Pokemon that migrate.

I'm beginning to think that a new rule should be implemented: Whoever spreads incorrect information and, when proved wrong, still thinks they are right can be trolled by the very bored moderator. ;-)

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I'm beginning to think that a new rule should be implemented: Whoever spreads incorrect information and, when proved wrong, still thinks they are right can be trolled by the very bored moderator. ;-)

Seconded. I'm sick of inconsiderate reviewers.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I did have a post that pretty much ranted about the reviewers here that I've seen, and who have been annoying me. But for the sake of everyone's sanity, I've deleted the post. It was ranty, wank-bait, and would have disrupted the quiet atmosphere we have now.

All I can do is apologize for my lack of being here and upholding my "reviewing" rule, and give a hopefully-not-empty promise to help out the authors who post here that I will help push the reviewing guide my lovely pair wrote. Because if I don't do something, I'm going to quit coming here again.

:(

^to show I'm not serious. XD

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Dangit guys! I leave for a week and the lounge totally takes off with...a page of responses. *sigh*

Anyway, I'm back-ish from my hiatus thinger. Expect some reasonably on-topic input to commence after this post.

Don't get short with people.
I like shorts! They're comfortable and easy to wear!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I did have a post that pretty much ranted about the reviewers here that I've seen, and who have been annoying me. But for the sake of everyone's sanity, I've deleted the post. It was ranty, wank-bait, and would have disrupted the quiet atmosphere we have now.

And then I did it for you. ;D

Seriously, though, I've put up the fourth and probably the last (until someone else pisses me off by doing something extraordinarily stupid that I haven't seen yet) part of Reviewing and You. If anyone can think of anything else to write, feel free to post.

And then, by all means, use that guide to bludgeon other reviewers and authors. God knows the thing's about as heavy as a dictionary as it is. Partly because I had it bound in spiked iron, but... yeah.

I like shorts! They're comfortable and easy to wear!

*throws a brick of cheese*

Misheard Whisper

Years
NOOOOOOO!

*bricks txty. With a brick*

I am sick to death of that quote. I'll always remember the dumb kid who stands on Route 4 or wherever and chunters on about his FREAKING SHORTS! What a tard! Him, and that Aroma Lady on the north end of Route 112 who is clearly bisexual (not that I have anything against that). Goes on about how she needs a "romantic battle", and how she's "available". I don't think it makes a difference whether you play as May or Brendan, either. >_> Seriously, Nintendo, where do you get some of this crap from?

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Hello everyone--I'm looking for assistance in my story. Mostly just someone to discuss future plot points with, characterization etc. It really helps me write better. I dunno if there's aspecific forum for that. Just let me know, thanks.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Well, that's what many of us are here for. If you have questions, just ask them, and I'm sure someone will answer, myself included! We at the FanFiction Lounge have a wide range of skills and talents (Well, some of the other guys do. Not so sure about me), so whatever you ask about, there's sure to be someone who's an expert in that field, be it characterisation, grammar, plot, Mary Sues, cliches, or whatever. =D

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
What Dragon said is true.

However, if you've got an entire plot that you're iffy about, or need to explain a lot to get a certain plot point to make sense, or wanted to rattle on about a character to see if they're a Sue or something, you might just want to make a new thread in the Writer's Lounge section. Any smaller question, like a grammar rule question, should be fine here.

...What am I saying? I never come here anyway. xD

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Well, the problem I'm having right now is deciding whther or not a certain Pokemon should evolve. But I'd rather dscuss it privately, 1 on 1, so i dont ruin the story for other people.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
You could put it in spoiler tags, and warn the people before they open it. That's what they're for, after all.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Very well. Just make sure to reply in spoilers as well. There are heavy spoilers. I wouldn't read it unless you dont mind being...spoiled heavily.
Spoiler:

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Oh hey guys. Haven't posted here in a while, imagine that. Recent weeks have been sort of weird for me with all this stuff about my family's imminent move, with my dad stressing out about getting the security clearance he needs to be able to work at the job he's already been accepted for (at an air force base as a civilian contractor), while my mom stresses out about finding a place for us to live and getting this house sold... All of that going on pretty much eclipsed my birthday last Friday and now this week I was working frantically practically every day to clean out my room. Namely, my closet. I hadn't cleaned in there in the ten years we've lived in this house... But now everything I don't want has either been thrown away or put in a yard sale (and will be donated to charity if it doesn't sell) so I think I may be able to relax some. Keyword think. I thought I could relax yesterday but was woken up by my sister since my mom had decided to put some stuff out for sale a day earlier than expected and needed my help to move everything around, starting with carrying up this big heavy folding table from the basement which I swear has to weigh at least fifty pounds. I'm not meant to carry stuff that heavy! I'm a lazy nerd!

So, uh, I'm now trying to get back to my writing after two weeks of neglect (and the week before that had been devoted to my 7-day one shot and not my chaptered fics). Unfortunately I'm finding it kind of hard to get back into the right mood, what with this big cloud still hanging over me due to the moving chaos... What's bad is we may not even move until late next month... I don't want this to affect the whole rest of my break...

In the hope of trying to get me into the right mood to finish TRINITY chapter 4 I've been watching Ghost in the Shell, which was the biggest influence for the setting of TRINITY. It's been helping somewhat, but...not enough. Maybe if I just take the writing slowly...

Is it easier to write about a well-established character, like Ash Ketchum, or an unexplored one, like any one of the hundreds of CODs?
I've always found it hard to write about established characters. It is extremely easy to mess up their personality or develop them in ways that go against what canon has established. Even lesser things such as how they speak in dialogue can be easy to screw up. That's why I've always preferred using original characters and why you'll never find any canon character, even a minor one, in an important roll in any of my fics. Using all original characters lets me mold the story and characters how I want without needing to be aware of any existing constraints that would limit my creative freedom.

As for finding Pokemon in regions where canon says they don't belong, I find that to be completely fine. While it's not fully explained, in my fanfic The Flamestar Chronicles Professor Jura (as in school professor, not Pokemon professor) is said to have started his journey in Hoenn and ended it in Hoenn as well, somewhere along the way having caught a Cyndaquil that eventually evolved and gave birth to the Cyndaquil that the main character bonds with and eventually leaves on a journey with. I don't imagine Jura as having left Hoenn, so I guess he must have caught that Cyndaquil within Hoenn. Saying that Pokemon migration is wrong would just be hypocritical of me. :D

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Hmm.... To Dassen, here's my view:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Hmm.... To Dassen, here's my view:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 13, 2009
I am sick to death of that quote. I'll always remember the dumb kid who stands on Route 4 or wherever and chunters on about his FREAKING SHORTS! What a tard! Him, and that Aroma Lady on the north end of Route 112 who is clearly bisexual (not that I have anything against that). Goes on about how she needs a "romantic battle", and how she's "available". I don't think it makes a difference whether you play as May or Brendan, either. >_> Seriously, Nintendo, where do you get some of this crap from?

you know that guy who is so rich that he bought his pokemon

i think he was ripped off because if he's so rich, he should of bought something less... common than a zigzagoon

also, i'm putting the shoeprint guy in my fanfic because i'm passing that town anyway

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

Years
Oh, I hate those Rich Boys. And the Ladies. They always have Full Restores to use on their wussy little Pokemon, and at that stage of the game, it annoys the hell out of me.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
NNGH.

Whenever I see a Rich Boy sprite, I usually whip out my 'backup' Pokemon, easily the strongest on my team, so that I can just get them over with and take the money before they have a chance to do anything. But to get back on-topic...

Is there any genre/mood/literary device that you just can't bear to read?

Personally, I hate stories that are too serious. By serious, I don't mean 'not comedy' serious, but 'dark' serious. Wars, angst-ridden characters, generally grim outlooks on the entire thing. I don't know why, but unless they're really, really well-written (see The Trial of Juno, the second and third installments) I get very bored of them easily. I also get a little put off by rambling on and on about the appearance of things for no apparent reason; it usually turns into a TL;DR moment and I skip a few paragraphs to get to where something remotely interesting happens. This is probably because I have a tendency to envision fics as TV shows, and not many television shows give a boring picture of a house in a field for about six minutes...

...brick me for having a short attention span, go ahead.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
NNGH.

Whenever I see a Rich Boy sprite, I usually whip out my 'backup' Pokemon, easily the strongest on my team, so that I can just get them over with and take the money before they have a chance to do anything. But to get back on-topic...

Is there any genre/mood/literary device that you just can't bear to read?

Personally, I hate stories that are too serious. By serious, I don't mean 'not comedy' serious, but 'dark' serious. Wars, angst-ridden characters, generally grim outlooks on the entire thing. I don't know why, but unless they're really, really well-written (see The Trial of Juno, the second and third installments) I get very bored of them easily. I also get a little put off by rambling on and on about the appearance of things for no apparent reason; it usually turns into a TL;DR moment and I skip a few paragraphs to get to where something remotely interesting happens. This is probably because I have a tendency to envision fics as TV shows, and not many television shows give a boring picture of a house in a field for about six minutes...

...brick me for having a short attention span, go ahead.

Gonna see that as a preference.(but you should read my fic anyway):p

Anyway, I find it's all about moderation. A little bit of angst can go a long way done right. And it has to be appropriate.

Something better than HNNNNGH NOBODY LOVES ME

More like AAAAAGH THEY'RE DEAD

And you keep it brief. You have reconciliation and you move on. But feeling sorry for yourself at a dramatic even is only natural.

So again, you do everything in doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back