• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Reciprocity within artists.

Years
I comment when I think I can offer valid criticism that could really help them with their artwork, if I happen to catch an update I'm interested in.
I might still be in the mindset of the old days of art galleries here where it was a rule that if you didn't seriously critique you couldn't post in someone's gallery, so I don't often comment just to say "hey this look nice!".
It feels a bit hollow, but that's just my hold up on it as it's important to give compliments as well.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I try... but I tend to be so picky with artwork and aesthetics that most of what I have to say about art (and that even includes my own, when I post it, I have to try not to point out my own flaws) is excessively negative. Some of it legitimate criticism, and other bits based solely on my immense standards of personal preference. It's... a lot to try to pick out.

And on the rare occasion I do like a piece, I can never quite explain why I do. I basically just have an aestheticsgasm and stare at it for 10 minutes straight, just... in awe of the beauty.

That's why I've kind of accepted people not commenting much on my work. If they press the like button or something like that though, I'm pretty content. I'll press that button too if I see something that makes me have that intense positive reaction.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
well, I do visit their galleries often and give them some compliments about their arts. It is a good way to interact with them and we can also share our arts together! Besides, compliments helps to motivate them for drawing better arts!

This is how the forum section can be stay active all the time.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Back in the day, i used to be a very articulated judge on artwork with people in Deviantart. I would usually leave comments were i tell the strengths and the weaknesses of the work displayed such as "The design is really decent, with the way it works, but the anatomy needs a little bit of work with the proportions"... etc.

Heck, if ever i make my gallery as a good mod suggested, I'd gladly take everyone's comments on how i should better my anatomy, especially with feet. You can teach me (and Rob Liefeld) in doing that ;)

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
I'm a bit scared of my own criticism. Rarely do I ever post a comment on someone's work (like what I'm doing now kek) because I tend to point out a lot more negatives than positives. And personally, I get a little relieved myself that there aren't any new comments on my gallery. In a weird way, both praise and negative criticism discourage me, like I'm disappointed that I don't have anything that could make my work better, but also sad that I'm still not good enough to deserve reasonable praise.

Thinking about it, I've only commented in someone's gallery if it's someone that has potential. Then again, it's been a while since I've done critique and of the places I've put comments on, it's only in my most familiar community. And it's been a really long time since anyone there has taken an interest in the art section, let alone an interest in learning how to make graphics. Hahahaha...

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I tend to post around the art section a lot when I upload a drawing. It's been for too long since I've completed a drawing, so I should get back into it.

Anyway, most of my critique experience comes from my days over in FF&W, but I've had my fair share of delves into A&D. People kept getting discouraged at the lack of responses in FF&W, so I kept saying that the best way to get attention is by giving it to other people, and then I would point over at A&D and try to get FF&W more like that. It's a simple rule, but very effective. It's something I've always admired about this section, really. People seem much more open to viewing and leaving comments on other people's work, and it really makes for a tight-nit community.

As far as my own critique goes, I must admit I don't know much about art. I don't like just leaving a compliment, since I want to leave something the artist can take away, so if I don't have anything to say, I'll just drop a like and leave it at that.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I love getting comments of any kind so I always try to keep that in mind and leave comments on any galleries that catch my attention-- but I usually only really sit down to do it whenever I have an update for my own gallery.

I'm also kind of in a possibly unique situation in which I have very little interest in pokemon related art and so I will rarely comment if the thread is mostly/only pokemon art simply because I... just don't know what to say! Also, I really only do critiques if it's graphics, too. I don't quite feel like I have any place to critique other kinds of art since I'm not exactly an expert-- so I always feel a bit like a broken record saying things like oh it looks great. (Better I say something than say nothing though, that's what I'm always trying to tell myself...)

I admit that I rarely use the 'like' function for art posts though mostly because I don't tend to notice when people press it for my own updates.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Echoing a lot of the comments here, more often than not I simply don't have anything particularly constructive to say and don't want to leave a plain "this looks nice!" - I don't know a lot about art and I don't want to pretend I do, so I don't feel qualified to "critique" anything, nor do I really know how. :P

I make the effort from time to time, to write a nice comment about something that I think is really good, but if the words aren't coming to me and I can't quite articulate exactly what I like about it, I'll just use the 'like' button.

Back