• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Trubbish line and the Vanillite line: Why all the hate?

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2013
I don't quite understand why so many people hate these two Pokemon mainly because they are based on garbage and ice cream... Pokemon are not animals, they are monsters they can take the form of anything... No one said anything with Grimer and Cherubi which are based on sludge and cherries respectively.

Garbage bags are found in landfills all over the world, I would think that in the US there are a lot of them.

In Unova Trubbish and Garbodor are found near Nimbas city and in route 9, both these areas could be near landfills that are not shown in game.

People also say that "Gamefreak has run out of ideas as they've made an ice cream pokemon" But Pokemon based on food isn't a new idea, Eggucute are loosely based on eggs. Ice cream is a popular food in the US so I can't see why people would dislike it. If Gamefreak had ran out of ideas than there wouldn't be a 6th gen...

Vanillite White Pokedex entry:
This Pokémon formed from icicles bathed in energy from the morning sun. It sleeps buried in snow.

Black 2 White 2 Pokedex entry:
Theoretically, this Pokémon formed from icicles bathed in energy from the morning sun. Their breath is -58° F.

Last edited:

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I also don't understand the hate... In battle though, they aren't very good.

Trubbish was a creative way to represent pollution on land, we had Koffing and Grimer symbolizing pollution in air and water respectively.
The 'Gamefreak has run out of ideas' quote is a little ignorant. They've made new Pokemon, implemented new features and designed a new region in every Generation.

I don't really mind what people think though, it's their opinion.

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2013
I also don't understand the hate... In battle though, they aren't very good.

Trubbish was a creative way to represent pollution on land, we had Koffing and Grimer symbolizing pollution in air and water respectively.
The 'Gamefreak has run out of ideas' quote is a little ignorant. They've made new Pokemon, implemented new features and designed a new region in every Generation.

I don't really mind what people think though, it's their opinion.

Oh, i forgot to add that, the line is the personification of land pollution, though I would think that the US would have a lot of Koffings and Wezzings.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I think the Vanillite line is very cute! Trubbish is also cute. However, Garbodor is just terrible to me. Not cute, not strong, and pretty annoying.

Also, the statement that Game Freak has run out of ideas just because they made the Vanillite line was very ignorant. We also got the Sandile line, the Litwick line, and many other creative lines alongside the Vanillite line. And in the sixth generation, we got Froakie, Gogoat, Pangoro, Talonflame, and Malimar, among others.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 17, 2019
People will jump on any dodgy design they come up with. Some people legitimately hate them, but some people just hate new Pokemon. I don't like either one too much, but to say that they are running out of ideas because of two design choices is stupid. If anything, an ice cream Pokemon shows that they are broadening out their choices in design and becoming more creative.

Years
I don't hate them just because they are like a garbage and ice cream. (Who hates Ice Cream??). It's just that their design as well as their low range of attacks make me prevent them

blue

gucci
Years
I think they're not just perceived as very good Pokémon in comparison to other designs, I've got no problem with them and infact the Vanillite line is my favorite line of Generation V.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
They usually seem to be panned due to the basis of there designs being questionable. Ice cream and garbage aren't exactly the best or most threatening ideas for a Pokémon.

Personally I think Garbodor is a overdesigned heap of (wait for it) trash while Trubbish and the Vanilite line are mediocre.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
It's not just Gen 5 that has a strong hatred of Pokemon Designs. The hate started back in Gen 1. People STILL have a problem with Dugtrio and Magneton's design. While Gen 5's Vanillite and Trubbish lines receive a lot of hate because not only are their design classed as lazy, but uninspired. Nobody questions their strength in battle, only that they wish that more effort was put into representing a pollution Pokemon/Icicle Pokemon.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
They usually seem to be panned due to the basis of there designs being questionable. Ice cream and garbage aren't exactly the best or most threatening ideas for a Pokémon.

Personally I think Garbodor is a overdesigned heap of (wait for it) trash while Trubbish and the Vanilite line are mediocre.

I dunno... Vanillite's line is... cool. :P yay for bad puns :P

It's not just Gen 5 that has a strong hatred of Pokemon Designs. The hate started back in Gen 1. People STILL have a problem with Dugtrio and Magneton's design.
"Oh hey, how are we gonna evolve this thing? I know, let's just put two of the same Pokemon with it and call it an evolution". It is pretty uninspired. Personally I don't really buy the Krabby-Kingler one either. He just turns into a bigger crab and inherits a few spikes. And don't even get me started on Muk. But I digress, that's not what this thread is about at all......

While Gen 5's Vanillite and Trubbish lines receive a lot of hate because not only are their design classed as lazy, but uninspired. Nobody questions their strength in battle, only that they wish that more effort was put into representing a pollution Pokemon/Icicle Pokemon.
Uninspired was the word that I was gonna use here too. But only for Trubbish. I like the Vanillite thing that it just happens to look like an ice-cream, but by the time it evolves it kinda takes the cake really.....

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
It's not just Gen 5 that has a strong hatred of Pokemon Designs. The hate started back in Gen 1. People STILL have a problem with Dugtrio and Magneton's design. While Gen 5's Vanillite and Trubbish lines receive a lot of hate because not only are their design classed as lazy, but uninspired. Nobody questions their strength in battle, only that they wish that more effort was put into representing a pollution Pokemon/Icicle Pokemon.
I'd say exactly this. It's not that I don't enjoy using either Pokémon, they're both actually quite fun lines to train, it's just that the designs are so uninspired and make no sense. They literally just took an ice cream and gave it eyes and did the same with a garbage bag and those are supposed to be good designs? I know they've had things like Pidove or Rattata which aren't exactly inspired either, but it's logical that those Pokémon would evolve to be like that naturally - how could an ice cream or a rubbish bag based Pokémon ever come about naturally? I guess it just takes the whole imaginary element too far haha.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Design means everything to me, and I'm in the same boat with all the haters. Well, maybe a safety raft that came from tne ship. I don't think basing a Pokemon off of ice cream or garbage is necessarily a bad idea at all, I just think their designs are way too literal and so I find them ugly as sin. But I'm sure there are creators out there who could turn garbage and ice cream into PokeGold. And of course it's all subjective: there's no right or wrong in opinions about designs :D

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Yeah I'd say the concepts are pretty well thought out and, for the Trubbish line at least, the execution of the design was pretty good. Overall though, why these two out of all the other Pokemon in the game? I could name a couple "lazy" Pokemon designs: these two lines don't deserve all the hate.

Icecream_pokemons

Y u hate on icecream pokemon?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 9, 2013
I don't see why they get the hate. Look at let's say muk grimmer koffing voltorb magi mite eggxicute and those pokemon. I really don't like the hate vinillite is getting. Sure I don't like trubbish or garbador. At first I thought garbador was so kind of mouse thing until I found out it was garbage.

Years
I don't hate Trubbish, only the Vanillite line.
I never really like food/object pokemon, but if it got a design that make it look more than just an object with eyeballs its okay.
Like geodude's arms which make it look like a human, or Swirlix which remind me a dog.
But the Vanillite alaways was... an ice cream with eyeballs, which was really stupied...

Years
I Can Completely Understand The Trubbish Line, It's Pretty Ugly, But It's Not Completely Useless It's OK In Wifi Battling. I Like The Vannilite Line. I Don't Understand Why People Hate It, But The Way I See It, It's Way Better Than Kanto's Own (cough, cough) Voltorb and Electrode! Need I Need To Say Why?

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
I think people complain about those lines because they're really easy to hate on. It's easy to say that they're bad because they're based on food and garbage. I personally love the Vanillite line and I probably would have given it a chance if it hadn't come so late in the game (and if my Walrein hadn't already taken the place as my ice type). I think the Trubbish line is fine. I don't hate it at all I'm just indifferent. I don't "hate" any Pokémon to be honest.

Years
Trubbish and Garbodor's designs, aptly enough, are a pile of trash. I'm not sold on Grimer and Muk also, by the way, before you delve into that "argument." Vanillite line... Something about their smile just pisses me off. But at the end of the day those are just my opinions.

Mp3beast

Master of Sound
Years
I think people just don't like them because they look like their literal objects with googly eyes glued on. I don't mind them, although I think they're kind of ugly and never had any interest in training either of them. People have probably just forgotten about how much they hated some of the old designs. Like Girafaraig. I always thought it looked a little weird.

Back