• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Another sandstorm abuser you can include is Excadrill. Like Doronjo said, not everyone in a Sand team has to be Rock/Ground/Steel, as that would pile on a lot of exploitable weaknesses:
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-X-Scissor/Iron Head
-Protect/Substitute
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 60 HP/252 Atk/196 Spe
Item: Chople Berry/Life Orb/Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Alright, So I'm already planning my team for Pokemon X and Y, and Dragonite is going to be apart of it. I already have three moves, two that will counter his weaknesses, but I need one more.

I was wondering, should I use Flamethrower or Heat Wave? I know that Flame thrower rarely misses and has more PP than Heat Wave, but I would like to start competitively battling again, mainly in doubles battles (this is where heat wave is good, it attacks both opponents)

So which should I use? And, can you explain why?

My Dragonite will be holding an item that doesn't enhance accuracy nor power of fire moves, please keep that in mind.

To be honest, you'd be much better off with Fire Punch rather than Heat Wave or Flamethrower, because Dragonites are more physical oriented, but if you want a good Fire special move that even works in double battles, I'd honestly go for Fire Blast or Flamethrower, because usually, hitting two pokemon at once in a double battle, isn't as much effective as hitting one, because moves that hit multiple Pokémon have their damage reduced by 25%, unless all other Pokémon have fainted at that point.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To be honest, you'd be much better off with Fire Punch rather than Heat Wave or Flamethrower, because Dragonites are more physical oriented, but if you want a good Fire special move that even works in double battles, I'd honestly go for Fire Blast or Flamethrower, because usually, hitting two pokemon at once in a double battle, isn't as much effective as hitting one, because moves that hit multiple Pokémon have their damage reduced by 25%, unless all other Pokémon have fainted at that point.

In doubles, sometimes hitting both opponents is a benefit, despite the reduced damage. This is why some Pokémon run Rock Slide over Stone Edge, Heat Wave over Flamethrower/Fire Blast, etc.

But other than that, I agree; Dragonite is better off with physical moves, as its Attack is marginally higher than its Special Attack. It can even go mixed in Rain if it has to. Just make sure its ability is Multiscale, as that ability is what makes Dragonite so good in OU:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Roost/ExtremeSpeed/Earthquake
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale

or
-Outrage
-ExtremeSpeed
-Fire Punch/Waterfall
-Earthquake/Superpower
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Bnad

or
-Substitute
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Roost
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/72 Def/60 SDef/132 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Substitute
-Thunder Wave/Flamethrower
-Dragon Tail
-Roost
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef

or
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Thunder Wave
-Roost
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef

(last 2 sets are for rain only)

or
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Aqua Tail/Superpower
-ExtremeSpeed/Earthquake/Roost
Nature: Mild
EVs: 76 Atk/252 SAtk/180 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Dragon Tail
-Roost
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 SDef

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
how well would a electvire with discharge, flamethower, focus blast, and psychic do?

Discharge is okay, but you miiight want to replace it with Thunderbolt for more power, or Wild Charge because Electivire is more of a physical-oriented pokemon.

I'd also recommend replacing Focus Blast with Cross Chop because again, Electivire is physically oriented, and having Ice Punch or HP Grass over Psychic would give Electivire more type coverage options.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Discharge is okay, but you miiight want to replace it with Thunderbolt for more power, or Wild Charge because Electivire is more of a physical-oriented pokemon.

I'd also recommend replacing Focus Blast with Cross Chop because again, Electivire is physically oriented, and having Ice Punch or HP Grass over Psychic would give Electivire more type coverage options.

And to add, Electivire can go mixed to help its sweeping:
-Wild Charge/Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake/Cross Chop
-Ice Punch/Hidden Power (Grass)
Nature: Naive/Hasty
EVs: 144 Atk/140 SAtk/224 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Nature does not affect what Hidden Power a pokemon will get. Its IVs (individual value) that affects it. So if you don't know how to RNG, you'll be better off trading for the target Electivire. Assuming you DO want to use Hidden Power.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Is there anything special I have to or have not to to breed a drizzle Poliwag. I have male poliwrath and female politoad.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Is there anything special I have to or have not to to breed a drizzle Poliwag. I have male poliwrath and female politoad.

You'd first have to have a female Politoad with the dream world ability Drizzle, along with the male partner. Once you have that, there will be a chance of you getting an egg that contains a Poliwag with the ability Drizzle.

Depending on what you plan to do with your future drizzle Politoad is up to you - you can make it Bold if you want it to be bulky, or maybe Modest/Timid if you want more offensive power.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
You'd first have to have a female Politoad with the dream world ability Drizzle, along with the male partner. Once you have that, there will be a chance of you getting an egg that contains a Poliwag with the ability Drizzle.

Depending on what you plan to do with your future drizzle Politoad is up to you - you can make it Bold if you want it to be bulky, or maybe Modest/Timid if you want more offensive power.

Will Drizzle appear when evolved into a politoad?

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
I've decided to use Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Wobbuffet, and either Garchomp or Kingdra. For this team, is Kingdra or Garchomp better? Also, which of these pokemon should I set up with? Which is good for laying traps?

Back