• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What Gen 5 Pokemon would you pick to use as your starter?

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
If you had to replace your starter with a different Gen 5 Pokemon, what would it be?

For me, it'd be a tough match up between Scraggy and Roggenrola. Both were very amazing during my playthough and did a tremendous job wrecking gyms and gym leaders. If I had to pick only one, it'd have to be Roggenrola. Sure you have to evolve by trading later, but it's definitely well worth it. I found myself relying on Boldore and Gigalith a lot and think that I could succeed well with it as a starter.

Years
If I couldn't have Oshawott as my starter, I'd be happy to take Tympole for a similar early Water-type. Or maybe Gothita, Petilil, Elgyem, Litwick or Drilbur for all being cute and having some strong evolutions.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Gotta go with my fave Gen Fiver, Deerling
So got damn 'dorable ;_;
Honestly it only has one evolution and it's no particularly strong, so it probably wouldn't be very good, but nonetheless I love the pokemon so i'd take it

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
For me it would either be Klink or Trubbish. I would want to be one of those who would be WAY different.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
Gimme that Vanilite son. People give it crap, but I actually really like the little ice cream cone pokemon. That and I don't use Ice types a lot, so it would be interesting to use something I don't get a chance to all that often.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
Victini

Discounting him and the starters, I'll probably go with Deerling or or Litwick for the main reason that I like Sawsbuck's (especially Spring and Summer) and Chandelure's designs.

blue

gucci
Years
Vanillite. Not many Ice-types are accessible early on, so it would be a great advantage to have from the start. Also it is a 3-staged evolutionary line that ends up with a similar BST to all of the starters. 8)

Years
Vanillite. Not many Ice-types are accessible early on, so it would be a great advantage to have from the start. Also it is a 3-staged evolutionary line that ends up with a similar BST to all of the starters. 8)

Aside from its not-so-good movepool, Vanilluxe does have to have credit for being tied with Lapras for the highest BST of a non-legendary, non-Mega Ice-type. Vanillite even evolves at the level that most starters would already be at their final stage, but I feel it's intentional considering the potency of the Ice-type.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 30, 2016
I've got to say Sandile, because he eventually evolves into Krookodile. He's so red, he looks like he's about to burst!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 11, 2017
Axew! The coolest and cutest dragon. Also evolves into one of my favorite pokemon of all time, Haxorus.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
For me easily and didn't spend any second thinking.
and no surprise either if you look in my username

It would be Zorua
it's so cute, and adoroble, one of my favorite dark foxes around!
my current favorite Unova Pokemon

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm going to be downright crazy with this, but I'd want a Patrat. I actually like them, and Watchog makes a decent Pokemon. Plus, they're a Normal-type Pokemon, and I love my Normal Pokemon. A Patrat would be good for a starter because they're sturdy and easy to handle for beginning trainers, but then they evolve into an...alright Pokemon.

Years
I'm going to be downright crazy with this, but I'd want a Patrat. I actually like them, and Watchog makes a decent Pokemon. Plus, they're a Normal-type Pokemon, and I love my Normal Pokemon. A Patrat would be good for a starter because they're sturdy and easy to handle for beginning trainers, but then they evolve into an...alright Pokemon.

I find that Watchog has a degree of usefulness to it as well, especially with learning moves like Hypnosis and Thunder Wave which make it handy for catching Pokemon. Don't get me wrong, Patrat does start out good and while it tends to get outclassed later on, it's still not a bad Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
Litwick,, I just love chandelure somehow, in my opinion it has one of the best design in gen5

Back