• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonist names revealed. Your thoughts.(May be a spoiler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I have to say they did a pretty good job this time.

At least it's better than Hilbert and Hilda.

There is usually a theme going on with protagonists' names, but I like the whole "resonate" theme going on.

The female character's name was a good choice, I like the name Rosa.

Nate on the other hand is suits the male character well.

Sirfetch’d

I have to say they did a pretty good job this time.

At least it's better than Hilbert and Hilda.

There is usually a theme going on with protagonists' names, but I like the whole "resonate" theme going on.

The female character's name was a good choice, I like the name Rosa.

Nate on the other hand is suits the male character well.

I do agree. They are WAY better than Hilbert and Hilda. I don't know if any thought went into naming Hilbert and Hillda. I really like Rosa and even though I think Nate is plain it is one of the better names yet.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'm quite pleased to hear this news to be honest. Mainly because 'Nate' is a shortened version of my name and will definitely suit me well when I play my copy of B2, haha.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
lol I dislike them ;( Rosa reminds me of a character I really disliked on a TV show once and Nate seems... well I don't have any negative opinions of that, but Rosa, ya not a fan of (also Hilda > Rosa :3;)

Years
Yay, Rosa not too bad. I like it. But to be honest, I dislike the names of Nate. I Prefer Kyohei because its more cool than Nate IMO.

Years
Remember that protagonists' names usually have a theme to them?

The names come from "resonate", which was also the basis for their Japanese names.

Sirfetch’d

The names come from "resonate", which was also the basis for their Japanese names.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is "resonate"?

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Gah, I agree with Forever. I seriously dislike their new names so much. Nate's fine but Rosa? Seems way too Arabic. I would've opted for Nathan & Rose.

Years
I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is "resonate"?

Resonate.

: to relate harmoniously : strike a chord <a message that resonates with voters>

Taking a look at the word I bolded there, harmonious:

: having the parts agreeably related : congruous <blended into a harmonious whole>

So basically it involves coming together as one...just like Kyurem and Zekrom/Reshiram :P They just applied that to the protagonist's names. Silly Pokemon and its puns.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

Since when?

Ethan/Lyra (Lyra is supposedly a redesigned Crystal)
Brendan/May
Lucas/Dawn

Those don't have any theme to them that I can see.

Red/Blue(Green) were named after the first two games, though the defaults were always reversed in appropriate games. (If you played Green your MC's default is Green and Rival's preloaded was Red.)

Hilbert and Hilda don't really have a theme to them either.

I think Nate and Rosa are coincidence cause I've yet to find anything about a member of Gamefreak and or TPC interview to say the meaning behind their names.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Since when?

Ethan/Lyra - sound
Brendan/May - probably the only pairing with a weak theme. bravery and spring
Lucas/Dawn - luke and light, dawn and light

Hilbert and Hilda don't really have a theme to them either. German for battle

At first glance, I did not like them. They're too normal. I like them better after someone pointed out the resonate thing. It fits with harmony w/e N.

Years
Nate, eh? cue the unending line of Uncharted jokes.
Rosa seems unusual, but it's nice.
though, if I end up playing as either character, I'd end up naming Nate as Drake/Kyouhei/Palmtre and Rosa as Mei/Meiling/Amy.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
There was a theme. TwilightBlade kind of explains it.

Anyway I rather like Nate and Rosa. The resonate theme is actually pretty creative and they go with the original name theme.

At least they're better than Hilda and Hilbert.

I have a friend named Nate so that reminds me of him. Only difference is he's handicapped.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
FINALLY! This is all I've been waiting for. Not bad at all, I really like them. I thought of Marlon as Nate though. Rosa's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back