• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I recently got off my high animation horse and saw some non-Pixar 3D movies: Megamind and How To Train Your Dragon. Both were a lot better than I expected. Are there any other movies which are on the same level of quality? And I mean quality story, characters, etc., not animation quality.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm a big fan of Rango. In addition to being absolutely gorgeous to look at, its story and characters are definitely interesting. I hesitate to use the word 'quirky' in describing it, but it definitely has an oddball sense of humour. Added to that a great voice cast, as well as a loving pastiche of film noir and westerns, and that's Rango.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
It still seriously grinds my gears that The Artist will win. I've developed a severe hatred for that movie in the same way I developed an almost unnatural hatred for Slumdog Millionaire back in 2008.

Meanwhile, I saw Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close tonight. It was a fantastic film! It's no secret that I can't stand children, and this child was perhaps the most overtly obnoxious one I've ever seen on screen - yet I fell in love with him and his story. So there's that. Plus, Sandra Bullock did an amazing job with her unforgivably small amount of screen time, as did Viola Davis. Not quite sure if Max Von Sydow's performance, while decent, was necessarily worthy of an Academy Award nomination, but hey why not. It's not like he'll win anyway.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Correct me if I'm wrong: you still haven't seen The Artist as of yet, so how can you have a hatred towards it?

Years
Well, I have seen The Artist and while it's good, it's not necessarily what I'd called the best thing I've seen. I think it's winning people over because it's a throwback to the 'classic' Hollywood. Basically I see it as doing well because of nostalgia.

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
Years
In regards to the review contest, grats on Barrels. :D

i didn't even know this thread existed cos i is noob

Thanks! (Belatedly.) Just dropping by to cast my vote for Snowy... and to say that I had no opinion on Adele before this week, but that she is now beginning to irritate me. (It's not even her fault - it's just that EVERY SINGLE TABLOID NEWSPAPER over here seems to think it's news that she flipped everyone off at the Brits, and insists on printing full-page pictures of her middle finger, with accompanying commentary. Only it's not news. It isn't. She got cut off and felt a bit annoyed AND THAT IS IT. How journalists can eke 500 words out of one finger I will never know.)

/cease rant

Also, I haven't seen The Artist but I have seen Uggie the dog surfing. Because British chatshows are weird.

Shining Raichu

Years
Correct me if I'm wrong: you still haven't seen The Artist as of yet, so how can you have a hatred towards it?

Because it's going to win based on the fact that it's a silent movie and people haven't done silent movies in forever. I feel like people always vote for the "little film that could" like in the instance of Slumdog Millionaire because people quite simply love an underdog.

I'd really like for The Help to win because it was the most amazing film I have seen in a long, long time - but objectively speaking, Hugo probably deserves it the most.

Years
I'm unsure about seeing The Help because I heard that it's overall message is "black people can't do anything without the help of white people" or something to that effect. I've heard it's got great acting and everything else you'd want in a movie, but I'm afraid I'd have this nagging thing in the back of my mind the whole time and wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Shining Raichu

Years
That's not the message I took away from the film whatsoever. The opportunity that the black women had came through a white woman, yes, but this is set in 1963 (iirc) and the level of oppression and lack of education that was experienced at that time meant that yes - these particular women were not equipped to make any sort of change without the help of a white person. The tone of the film was not at all condescending toward the black people though. In fact, I saw it more as a symbiotic effort - it required the black and white people to work together to create the necessary change.

In essence though, it's a story set nearly 50 years ago in a very different landscape - it's not at all suggesting that black people (particularly today) are in any way inferior to white people or dependent upon them - in fact the whole idea of the film is to fight exactly that notion. So I don't know who gave you that idea, but it must be a very cynical-minded person.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
MERYL STREEP WON
HA
HA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I LOVE YOU

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
*yawn*

My thoughts:

- I enjoyed Crystal's montage in the beginning where he's inserted into films. Those are always good. But, the song? Meh. And he was also meh for the rest of it
- Hugo didn't win enough
- Potter was snubbed in not being nominated for all kinds of things
- Why did they show a clip of Twilight at one point?
- I liked that year when they sang the nominated song and did interpretive dance to the film scores. They should have done that instead of the Cirque bit

Shining Raichu

Years
MERYL STREEP WON OMGGHIELRYUGAKERGVLegrjkhvbaejhvgkeqahrgjvakerygvakethgksejvgsejkhvbghKAJYERFGAKERYGFKJSEHRBJHGBEJRHBGKERJHB

I heard it on the radio at work, OMG I was so excited, Jon really had me thinking that there was really no chance of it happening! She SO deserved that, SO MUCH. I'm so psyched that the cycle is finally broken - that horrid cycle of nominating Meryl and never giving her anything. SO PSYCHED!

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
I was pretty bitter about Tree of Life not winning Best Cinematography and Apes not winning Best Visuals. The surprise of the night was Streep winning Best Actress; I really did think Davis was a shoe-in but I guess I'm wrong. It's a pleasant surprise nonetheless! Maybe we'll get to see Davis again in another strong role in the future.

Hugo destroying the technical department left a bitter taste in my mouth. :<

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I was pretty bitter about Tree of Life not winning Best Cinematography and Apes not winning Best Visuals. The surprise of the night was Streep winning Best Actress; I really did think Davis was a shoe-in but I guess I'm wrong. It's a pleasant surprise nonetheless! Maybe we'll get to see Davis again in another strong role in the future.

Hugo destroying the technical department left a bitter taste in my mouth. :<
I think Potter should have gotten the visuals

Shining Raichu

Years
If it were up to me, Potter would have won Best Film, Best Supporting Actor (Alan Rickman), all the audio and visual awards, and makeup. It's just a tragedy that the Academy never took those films seriously.

(ALSO GUYS THIS IS POST 3000 WOO)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
If it were up to me, Potter would have won Best Film, Best Supporting Actor (Alan Rickman), all the audio and visual awards, and makeup. It's just a tragedy that the Academy never took those films seriously.

(ALSO GUYS THIS IS POST 3000 WOO)
I agree. I was really hoping that they just give it a bunch of stuff this year (finally) for the contribution of the series as a whole - like they did with Return of the King.

But it wasn't even nominated for best picture. A major upset since they can have 10 pictures, and they only selected 9. Potter could have been film 10. What the hell?

Critics love the entire series. Deathly Hallows Part II was one of the best reviewed films of the year, I don't understand the snub at all. It's not just a mainstream blockbuster. They're critically acclaimed, expertly crafted, and well acted. And no accolades at all :(

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Things I'm happy about

• Half of Flight of the Conchords have an Oscar. Go Bret McKenzie and the Muppets!
  • Rango and A Separation got their respective awards (Animated Feature and Foreign Language Film), even if they both deserved more nominations and wins.
  • Mark Bridges can finally lay claim to the title of Oscar winner; an awesome costume designer unheralded for far too long.
  • Plummer, even though it was a foregone conclusion.
  • Emma Stone's presenting. And her ability to make Ben Stiller look tiiiiiiny in comparison to the massive red bow on her dress. Will Ferrell/Zach Galifinakis were also good.
Things I'm ambivalent about

• Adapted Screenplay: I really dislike The Descendants, but am sorta happy that Dean Pelton from Community now has an Oscar (and did a kickass Angelina Jolie's Right Leg impression). Stupid Alexander Payne for taking up most of the speech.
  • The Artist and Hugo dominance: I like The Artist and appreciate that Hugo was technically well done, but none of their wins were particularly exciting, no matter how 'deserved' they both were.
  • Meryl. She did give a great speech, but I really would have loved to hear what Viola had to say. Still, at least the Meryl lovers will shut up about giving her another Oscar for... maybe 5 minutes? One can hope.
  • Robert and Gwyneth. Not entirely sure how that came across in the room, but it was definitely a mixed bag.
Things I'm sad about

• Original Screenplay. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but the huge cheer when A Separation won Foreign Film led me to believe that an upset in here was possible. But no. Woody-lite had to win. Still, at least it wasn't Margin Call. Ugh...
  • Billy Crystal. COME BACK JAMES FRANCO/ANNE HATHAWAY! ALL IS FORGIVEN! Seriously, though, I'd take a trainwreck of polar opposite presenting styles over Billy Crystal bombing and knowing it any day of the week.
  • How BOOOOOOOOORING the whole thing was. From the awards (when the only two surprises are Best Editing and Meryl Streep winning an award, there's no real fun in that) to the pacing of the show to the MONTAGES, OH THE MONTAGES, to the Cirque du Soleil performance that did nothing on screen. Bleh.
  • WAIT THERE'S MORE! Boooooo for no Oscar to Emmanuel Lubezki. How many *******s does a cinematographer have to give to get an Oscar?

Years
"Man or Muppet" won best song and that's really the only thing I cared about.

I'm kinda glad that Harry Potter didn't get awards. I know it was a fun movie, well done, etc., but c'mon. It's the 8th movie in a series. Enough already. We've seen it before.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
"Man or Muppet" won best song and that's really the only thing I cared about.

I'm kinda glad that Harry Potter didn't get awards. I know it was a fun movie, well done, etc., but c'mon. It's the 8th movie in a series. Enough already. We've seen it before.
That was kind of point. We all thought they were saving the accolades for the end, since the other entries were all kind of overlooked.

I was really looking forward to seeing Billy Crystal again. His video montage at the start was good, as usual, but the rest was just flat. And he clearly knew it. I don't know why. Different writers? Different producers? Something just didn't mesh and it felt thrown together. Not nearly as bad as last year's hosts, but not anywhere near as good as it could have been. There needs to be spontaneity. You should be able to pick on the audience. My vote is for a Martin Short and Steve Martin combination next year. ... or let the Muppets host it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back