Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page Help & Advice Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old April 3rd, 2015 (01:50 AM). Edited April 5th, 2015 by DDDchu.
Welcome to McFazbear

Nature: Bashful
Hopefully I can. There are some events in school pulling me back though but I just need to tell my counselor about some bullies and I should be good.

Edit:

So I am getting more depressed and lonely. Why do my closest friends, the one I talk to the most, all have relationships and I don't? What am I doing wrong that no one wants to be happy with me? Seriously, what the actual psyduck. This loneliness is eating me alive and every day I am stuck with hours on end with just me and horrific thoughts.
Old April 5th, 2015 (11:54 AM).
Kicking against the earth!
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
I don't know what to do, its my fault...

Well my stepdad got a dog a few years back for hunting and since he is allergic, he couldn't really stay inside so he was mostly a outside dog. He is a lab and not well cut, so he was very high energy and ran away a lot, so he has been kept in high fenced areas or more recently on a chain. Today we went shopping, when we got back we found him dead... hanged. He climbed up the slide and I guess fell and the chain was stuck. Its my fault, recently I've been trying to get him to go up there to get some more excercise has I haven't walked him in a while. And sometimes the chain got stuck in a crack, I've been afraid this might happen, but he would never go up there without me. Today he did. I feel so bad. I didn't want him at first, but I got stuck taking care of him, but I really started to like him, I don't want to admit he's really gone. I wanted him to be able to come inside, I wanted a better life for him, this isn't what he deserved. (
Old April 7th, 2015 (08:00 PM).
bitter gay.
Gold Tier

Nature: Bold
I have an absolute crippling lack of motivation to go to class.

Like when I attend class I participate and get good grades but getting me there is a hassle to the point where I skip a good 3/4 lectures per year. Anything would be appreciated at this point considering attendance now counts for like 15-20% of my grade.
"And here we tinker with metal, to try to give it a kind of life, and suffer those who would scoff at our efforts. But who's to say that, if intelligence had evolved in some other form in past millennia, the ancestors of these beings would not now scoff at the idea of intelligence residing within meat?"
- Prime Function Aki Zeta-5, "The Fallacies of Self-Awareness"
Old May 10th, 2015 (01:09 PM).
Money For Nothing
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Alright, I need help. And it's a big, big thing for me.

I have issues when it comes down to doing things like schoolwork. I can't do my homework sometimes because I'm too lazy (and maybe because it doesn't matter if you do it or no), I have huge issues to do schoolwork outside school. I can't really find a reason or a way to do it, without pushing myself too hard.

Why I need help with this?, I'm starting uni on a year and a couple of months, I still need to finish this year and another one at school. But I'm sure that killing this bad habit of mine is going to be hard... And I'm actually trying to solve it, without any good results. Sorry if it looks like I care too much about it, but I really hate being so lazy and even when I can fight it sometimes, the laziness kicks back again. And I'm done when that happens. It's a cultural thing from here as well, people is very lazy. But I'm not going to talk about it now.

Thanks for your help and time.

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free

Archy: Trying to be the next Walter White?
Wicked3DS: I work out of the back of a Prius V

Old May 10th, 2015 (01:40 PM).
chase is my favourite
ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by Archer99:

I have issues when it comes down to doing things like schoolwork. I can't do my homework sometimes because I'm too lazy (and maybe because it doesn't matter if you do it or no), I have huge issues to do schoolwork outside school. I can't really find a reason or a way to do it, without pushing myself too hard.

Why I need help with this?, I'm starting uni on a year and a couple of months, I still need to finish this year and another one at school. But I'm sure that killing this bad habit of mine is going to be hard... And I'm actually trying to solve it, without any good results. Sorry if it looks like I care too much about it, but I really hate being so lazy and even when I can fight it sometimes, the laziness kicks back again. And I'm done when that happens. It's a cultural thing from here as well, people is very lazy. But I'm not going to talk about it now.

Try to stay away from your PC or the internet for a few hours every day. I know once you get home from school you just want to relax, but if you get too relaxed you'll just end up doing nothing for the remaining of the day. Try doing your homework right after lunch every day, just one or two hours. Knowing that you'd have nothing else to do for the remaining of the day if you finish your work early should be motivating enough.

For me it helps to have a set time to not do anything productive at all, so for example 6 pm, if I haven't actually done any studying until then, I just don't do any. :p

Uni should be different but you should still try and get your school work done too. By then you'll hopefully be more serious about it, plus there are things like gaps in your schedule where you should have enough time to do some work/studying done, and there should be plenty of rooms, maybe a library, where you can do your work after your classes are over before heading home, so you can just go home and relax afterwards.

So basically, set some time periods of the day when you should be doing work, and when you should be being lazy. It's different for everyone, some people are more productive at night. For me it helps to just get everything over with as early as possible so I can have the remainder of the day to myself.
Old May 11th, 2015 (06:07 PM).
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Quirky
Hey guys! Just a quick little notice to please not call out people in threads here, as there's too much of a chance of it encouraging nothing but a needless flamewar. If you feel there's honestly a problem regarding somebody off-site, then feel free to report them to that site's admins, but calling them out here for any reason here is not something we encourage.

Thank you!

» Paired with Ausaudriel, yo.
» I make arts sometimes: sketch thread
» other pc places to check out: #IRC://battle server
Old May 11th, 2015 (07:07 PM).
twisted logic
Silver TierCS

Nature: Jolly

Hey! A bit of a late response. What really helped me when I was in high school was visualising the goal that I wanted to achieve, and it's something that I continue to do now to work through periods of laziness or demotivation. I think in order to be able to combat laziness you need to have a clear reason for doing something - for example, that might be getting into your desired course in university, or making your parents proud, or getting a scholarship, or whatever. For me in high school, it was as simple as wanting to be the top student in my class.

Once you've worked out your reason, you need to be able to actually visualise it. Everyone visualises things in a different way - maybe put photos on your wall of your goal, or phrases and quotes on your wall to keep you going, or write in a diary every night so you can keep track of 1) how you went today and 2) how it's helping you get to your end goal. Think about how it will feel to achieve the goal you want to achieve - it's all about positive thinking.

It's all well and good to think about these things but as you may understand, it's useless without any action. I think the first step is just getting started with something, no matter how small. Set a timer - tell yourself that you're going to devote the next 30 minutes or an hour to studying. Put everything else away, just have your books in front of you. The hardest part is always getting started, so just focus on doing whatever you can to actually get started. Open up the chapter of the book you're studying, or start reading your notes, or whatever. Once you start, you just need to push yourself to keep going, and slowly you'll be able to build momentum - after a tough one minute of studying, the next few minutes might be easier, and soon you'll find (hopefully) that you're on a roll because you're able to build up momentum.

It's definitely easier said than done and like anything, it's difficult and takes time to build up these habits. But if you keep working and visualise your goal and realise that even though what you're doing might not be the most fun thing in the world, if you keep going you'll be able to reach your goal. Building momentum needs to start somewhere after all!

Let me know if you have any questions (:
Old May 13th, 2015 (11:18 AM).
To be saved.

Nature: Lax

So this might end up being a case of a blind man leading another blind man so bear with me lmao.

If you truly want to fix this problem, the best way to do this is to "just do it". I know it's a really big cliche but the only way to beat laziness is to do what you need to do. The thing about motivation and whatever is that it's not very reliable. You can be motivated one hour but not motivated the next hour. As soon as you lose that motivation, you fall back into the cycle and go back to doing nothing. So if that's the case, what you need to do is to develop self-discipline (which is a great trait to have anyways). You need to develop the ability to tell yourself, "This is something I need to do.", and then to go and do the said activity.

"But Thoughts how can I go and do something if my problem is not doing something?"

True, this part I don't really have a solid answer for but I do have suggestions and I do have the will to help you. The best way to go about this is to schedule specific blocks of the day to do specific activities as Christos mentioned before. But you have to be intelligent about your scheduling too. Don't just set a block to "study" for four hours and burn yourself out. Schedule in your breaks as well. Yes, they're mandatory, schedule in breaks. Personally I like to study in 3 hour blocks with a set up of 25 minutes studying, 5 minutes off. After 3 hours, I'll force myself to break and chill out for an hour or so. However, when you're working, you're working. Don't make dumbass excuses to log onto the showdown server or to check social media. Do that in your 5 minutes. But remember, you're not a machine so schedule in fun time and time to do nothing as well.

In the beginning its going to be hard to stick to your schedule (especially if you've set yourself an unreasonable schedule). Stay flexible and tweak it so that it's actually reasonable. I also recommend telling someone about your efforts and to get them to hound you to stay on the schedule. Worse comes to worse, message me and I'll get on your case about it.

Last thing I wanna address is that the cultural thing you mentioned in your post is just an excuse. That's it. You define who you are, not your culture or whatever. I'm asian but that doesn't mean anything other than my parents came from a country that wasn't Canada. If you've decided that you will be a productive person, good for you, but this has nothing to do with your culture.

GL BRUH.

Old May 22nd, 2015 (03:01 PM).
i bid my timberwolf in defiance of yer claim!

Nature: Gentle
how do i forget 8 years of my life... no, i do not wnta tlk about it
Old 3 Weeks Ago (09:18 PM).
Welcome to McFazbear

Nature: Bashful
Welp. Just welp. I give in.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)