• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
I must say I keep getting surprised whenever I come to this thread!
I can't do much but keep cheering up for you all, yet this looks so promissing!

I can feel that within our reach are perfect recriations of 4th generation <or maybe even 5th> games, by hacking a fire red rom. Please do keep it up!

Good luck :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2014
Epic work once again, Jambo! great patch for firered and once its done(No more bugs), im gonna use it fr rom hacking. awsome job!

Years
wow, i had to read about this the entire way through starting from the original page. its 2:15 am where i'm currently at, and you had me hooked on your project the instant i saw in the sideshow showcase. I'm not a romhacker or anything but the work you've put into this is really amazing. I learned a thing or two on hex thats for sure lol. Keep up the good work, I'll be cheering for you! ;)

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2014
Is it possible for these to appear in the wild? Or do they just stay in code? How do you get them?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
jasonguppy said:
Is it possible for these to appear in the wild? Or do they just stay in code? How do you get them?

Read through the thread! Jambo51 has already explained how...

PokeMasterPLA2

Pokemon Master, Hack lover
Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
This is going to revolutionize the way gba rom hacking works i can't wait for it to be perfected man, i really wanna use this.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Just posting to say that I nerfed Wonder Guard in the patch. If you give your Pokémon Wonder Guard by using hacks, cheats or memory edits, the game will ignore Wonder Guard. It will ONLY work if the Pokémon gets it legitimately through Trace, or if the Pokémon is Shedinja. Hopefully it'll help to stop cheaters gaining a huge advantage over the game's AI.

marcc5m

what
Years
Hey.
So I haven't hacked in a while.
I might just wait for this patch since I plan on adding Fakémon which is easier with 4th/5th gen moves and abilities.
Really great job you're doing here :)
Of course you're Scottish so that's only natural.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2012
A thought occurred to me
In addition to the 649 pokemon, could 101 "empty" slots be created? (bringing the total to the nice, clean, 750)
Most people probably wouldn't use it, but it would be a nice little thing for people that want to add some of their own fakemon in addition to the real ones in their hack

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2017
Well, I would think that someone using the patch could do that rather easily themselves, since the patch does all the hard work. Unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't it just take looking at what the patch has done to the pokemon data and replicating the effect?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
So I downloaded the Live Beta and I noticed...

2cd7ite.png
m7xi1h.png

You're just too awesome...

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
So I downloaded the Live Beta and I noticed...

2cd7ite.png
m7xi1h.png

You're just too awesome...

Um, you're welcome? The only reason I can do this in the first place is that you're making the sprites. On the subject of you making sprites, I inserted and farted around a bit with some of your Gen 5 sprites, and was able to achieve this:

Unfezant.png

This didn't take too long to do, for the actual sprites, since I already had code to separate them, but I had to add brand new code for the pallets tonight! :) I rather enjoy the fact that it worked so well though. :)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Gender differences too? :O What is gonna happen about Shellos and Gastrodon?

Shellos and Gastrodon, you ask? Well, both sets of sprites and pallets are in the game. At the moment, I have a table in the ROM which is checked when getting the sprite/pallet for Shellos and Gastrodon. The table defines all map names which are considered to be "West" for Shellos and Gastrodon.

The game checks where the Shellos/Gastrodon was generated (which is stored into the Pokémon data as soon as it's generated), and then compares where it was generated against the list of West map names. If it's on it, it loads the West Sea Sprite and Pallet, otherwise, it loads the East Sea Sprite and Pallet.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to generate a decent looking image for this, since I would need to use a debugger to force one Shellos in a Double Wild Battle to be East Sea, while allowing the other one to generate normally.

I hope my explanation tells you enough, though!

ETA: Ah, sod it. I did it anyway - here's a screenshot!

Shellos.png

Gastrodon.png

Please note that the genders and levels are irrelevant. It may look otherwise because the genders happen to match the colouration in both sprites, but I can assure you it's irrelevant!

Last edited:

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Shellos and Gastrodon, you ask? Well, both sets of sprites and pallets are in the game. At the moment, I have a table in the ROM which is checked when getting the sprite/pallet for Shellos and Gastrodon. The table defines all map names which are considered to be "West" for Shellos and Gastrodon.

The game checks where the Shellos/Gastrodon was generated (which is stored into the Pokémon data as soon as it's generated), and then compares where it was generated against the list of West map names. If it's on it, it loads the West Sea Sprite and Pallet, otherwise, it loads the East Sea Sprite and Pallet.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to generate a decent looking image for this, since I would need to use a debugger to force one Shellos in a Double Wild Battle to be East Sea, while allowing the other one to generate normally.

I hope my explanation tells you enough, though!

ETA: Ah, sod it. I did it anyway - here's a screenshot!

Shellos.png

Gastrodon.png

Please note that the genders and levels are irrelevant. It may look otherwise because the genders happen to match the colouration in both sprites, but I can assure you it's irrelevant!

I'm waiting until it's closer to being completed, but anyways, this is awesome.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2023
Thanks Jambo! That answers my question perfectly! :D I guess those wild double battles come in pretty useful for demonstrating sprite stuff. I wish you all the best for finishing this, I'm immensely excited for your Pokemon Yellow remake and I hope it uses the modded Fire Red you're creating here.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
What the ?! :O double wild pokemon battles ?????
Always liked your 649 patch project it's a "simple" hack with no story changes but it has a feature that other fire red hacks don't....649 ! Is there any other hack like this ??? anyways good luck with your project

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
Years
What the ?! :O double wild pokemon battles ?????
Always liked your 649 patch project it's a "simple" hack with no story changes but it has a feature that other fire red hacks don't....649 ! Is there any other hack like this ??? anyways good luck with your project
Gamer2020 said he got 649 pokemon on Emerald, but i haven't tested it myself, so i don't know it's real or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back