• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Pokemon Sun & Moon anime announced in CoroCoro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Is the animation for the anime done by the same people who did Origins? I didn't hear anyone complaining about their art style of choice, so why is it now a problem that it's being done to the mainstream anime?

How would you know how to fix an anime you literally haven't watched in a decade?

He's been acting like this for years now, predicting the cancellation of the anime after the XY anime due to poor rating, hoping for Misty to return because we've had a few filler characters coming back, and thinking that bringing back Misty will help bring said ratings back up again (even though that didn't help much when Ash's Charizard returned).

There's not much I can stay about story since I've also been slacking on the episodes as well, but I'll come here for a moment to defend the art style and animation. You can post all the frame screenshots you want, but that doesn't change the fact that in the actual video that animation fluidity looks gorgeous. You guys should really expose yourself to some different styles of animation, because this really doesn't look that bad at all. It's very fresh, organic, and full of life.

I'm seeing people comparing the art style of the anime to the infamous fifth episode of Dragon Ball Super, where the animation itself dropped in severe quality, and they began comparing said quality animation to DBZ's animation (as the superior form).

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
The animation, for the most part, looks nice in the trailer. There was one noticeable moment of subpar animation, but that was all I noticed. I'll agree with Nina, the animation looks fluid as heck. The colors are flatter, but I personally enjoy that. I think the flat palette pairs nicely with the softer, more circular character designs in this series.

As for the story, it's very difficult to judge since there isn't a lot to go on but if the fact that it's a school series is worrying people, um, this is the Pokemon world? Even a school series is going to be unique in its approach. The only major change I can see coming is that there will probably be a regular set for these characters. They'll obviously travel around the region, but I see the school being visited on a regular basis.

Almost every new generation people come out of the woodworks and decry it as the end of the anime or whatever, this is no different. Serena was never any more likely to stick around than any of the previous companions and I think it was silly for people to make themselves think otherwise. (though, yeah, it could be cool if she was around) Granted, I also think it wasn't the best move by the creative staff to introduce such an "end game" feeling character who would eventually need to leave the show.

Though, that said, there doesn't seem to be a character based on the female avatar just yet, so there might still be surprises in store.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
nina said:
There's not much I can stay about story since I've also been slacking on the episodes as well, but I'll come here for a moment to defend the art style and animation. You can post all the frame screenshots you want, but that doesn't change the fact that in the actual video that animation fluidity looks gorgeous. You guys should really expose yourself to some different styles of animation, because this really doesn't look that bad at all. It's very fresh, organic, and full of life.

I'm on my phone and can't clip much. But I'm with you that the anime is fluid and whatnot. If people aren't ready for change, then I don't know what to tell them.

I think the new animation style is cute. So it's whatever.

Again, I'll refute. If you don't like it don't watch it. Negativity is never healthy.

Years
Is the animation for the anime done by the same people who did Origins? I didn't hear anyone complaining about their art style of choice, so why is it now a problem that it's being done to the mainstream anime?

I looked to see if there are similarities, but besides the smaller eyes, it's not as related. I don't like Generations style, but people seem to love that for some reason.
The new style reminds me of some of Mamoru Hosoda's notable work. While it's obviously not the same, I like the compromise in detail and 'sharpness' for something fluid and lively.

He's been acting like this for years now, predicting the cancellation of the anime after the XY anime due to poor rating, hoping for Misty to return because we've had a few filler characters coming back, and thinking that bringing back Misty will help bring said ratings back up again (even though that didn't help much when Ash's Charizard returned).

Oh don't worry, I know that. Was arguing with him on this very forum 8-9 years ago citing the exact same points. I just can't believe I've gotten out of high school, gone to college, gotten my degree and come back home and some people are still on about Misty. I was asked why I don't participate in this forum as much, and it's because the discussion has rarely changed. That's why I'd rather talk about the art more.

I'm seeing people comparing the art style of the anime to the infamous fifth episode of Dragon Ball Super, where the animation itself dropped in severe quality, and they began comparing said quality animation to DBZ's animation (as the superior form).

Yeah I've seen it too. I haven't actually seen the episode in question, but yeah. That's a whole thing about inbetweens. If you pause and look at the inbeteweens, of course it's going to look funny. You can't make it look perfect on every pause screen and that hampers the actual animation. It's going to look still or overly realistic if every frame is drawn "perfectly". What matters is that it looks good in the actual animation.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Please don't take my post as overwhelmingly negative. I will still watch this series. I'm really interested in seeing the new Pokemon in action.

If I can get through Iris calling Ash a kid constantly, I can get through a series where Ash actually is a kid. :P

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 28, 2017
Hey, at least weedle was right about the ratings lol
It couldn't be more obvious that they're trying REALLY hard to increase them.
They're making it even more appealing to children and judging by how well it works for Yokai Watch, I think it might work.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I am more worried about the story. I think it will have a storyline, but just hope it isn't like I explain later in this post. Most animes have school, and usually do really well. I hope it is something like Yugioh GX, as that was by far my favorite yugioh series. Also usually has better story and character development.

People think this might be a gag series? I think that means each episode has basically its own storyline. I for one hope that isn't the case. I am not a fan of those types of shows, but I know a lot of people love them. I hated Space Dandy, but a lot of people loved it.

I will probably still watch the series. I just want it to have a flowing storyline and not sharded to hell. I could care less about the animation. Like I said, Ash is the only character in the trailer that looks out of place while you have Lillie who looks amazing.

I still think the school thing might be something only at the start. I think the Trials will still play a massive role in the saga. And I am pretty sure they will still travel to all islands.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Weedle I think is time for you to just move on. You are intentionally screwing with people now. You think you know everything when you hardly know anything, especially when it comes to anime and it is very obvious. You didn't contribute to crap and know of those shows are listed and just an fyi, Heroes was brought back.

If you hate the anime just leave and don't come back to the show and let the fans be. Hardly anyone cares for you here because you bring up the same crap. You are causing so many threads to get derailed because you seems to hate anyone who disagrees with you. You can't accept other sides and you just keep on and on.

Years
Simple, go by the root of the problem that drove you and others away from the show, and I know the rot definitely started when they removed Misty,

DP is my favorite series. XY looks great I just haven't had time to watch it. You're making assumptions based on your own opinions. Misty's been gone for 14 years. We don't need her and will never need her in the future.

and when I showed them DP's Japanese ratings at that time, they definitely knew the show was in trouble. Bear in mind that this was well before XY's massive ratings drop. That should be enough to tell you the show's in a rut and more likely to be cancelled.

You said the same thing about DP, it's likely to get canceled. Show has bad ratings. Might get cancelled at any moment.

It continues on for 10 years.

You're reading the information wrong if you've been sure it's going to be cancelled and it never has.
There is no piece of information you can pass off as undeniable proof that your wants and desires are objectively right. There is not proof that Misty will save the anime because that's not something you can measure. It's just something you want and feel the need to try and convince others that your opinion is fact. It's not. You wanting Misty back is your own wish fulfillment and I wish you'd stop injecting into every conversation you touch.

Ash looks horribly off-model.

Ash can't be off model when we've seen like 30 seconds of him. Off-model means not the correct model established by the style guidelines. The style has changed, and as long as the rest of the episodes are consistent with this established style, he is not off-model. My comment of watching other animation has to do with style, not being off-model. There are no errors in the animation that I noticed, they are stylistic choices and I will defend this style. It's not bad or drawn poorly, it's just apparently not people's cup of tea and people are using it as a scapegoat for not liking the series rebooting again. I don't like modern art aesthetically, but it doesn't invalidate their content.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 28, 2017
Tbh with at least 3 girls in the cast I can't wait for the shipping wars lol
The changes are making me curious but I probably won't watch.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
The character design for the humans in the new anime received a major overhaul.

They look like they're way more expressive and more dynamic than the current style(definitely way more cartoony) also all of the kids actually look like children
Ash/Satoshi actually looks 10 in this new art style.

It looks ok however, personally I disliked the upcoming art style of the Sun and Moon show (dunno if i'm ever going to get used... hopefully i'll grow to love it.) The character design in XY is so memorable and looks way cooler in my opinion...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I looked to see if there are similarities, but besides the smaller eyes, it's not as related. I don't like Generations style, but people seem to love that for some reason.
The new style reminds me of some of Mamoru Hosoda's notable work. While it's obviously not the same, I like the compromise in detail and 'sharpness' for something fluid and lively.

I guess people are really attached to the Sugumori art style the anime had for past 19 years, and it would be weird for them to suddenly abandon that style. And a few people are suspecting that the ones complaining about the art style change most likely haven't seen much anime in their lives.

Oh don't worry, I know that. Was arguing with him on this very forum 8-9 years ago citing the exact same points. I just can't believe I've gotten out of high school, gone to college, gotten my degree and come back home and some people are still on about Misty. I was asked why I don't participate in this forum as much, and it's because the discussion has rarely changed. That's why I'd rather talk about the art more.

Glad I'm not the only one who's feeling bothered by weedle's posts. Mii-kun told me that he also made a 3-part video about this back in 2008.

Yeah I've seen it too. I haven't actually seen the episode in question, but yeah. That's a whole thing about inbetweens. If you pause and look at the inbeteweens, of course it's going to look funny. You can't make it look perfect on every pause screen and that hampers the actual animation. It's going to look still or overly realistic if every frame is drawn "perfectly". What matters is that it looks good in the actual animation.

But you've seen the one Pein scene from Naruto Shippuden right?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Apparently the same animators who are/were doing XY were doing another anime that conflicts with the Sun/Moon schedule.

Makes sense why almost everyone else looks good and Ash looks off. The Sun Moon characters were designed with that style in mind - they've had to adapt Ash.

Still, Ash's design is growing on me a fair bit. Not entirely happy but not entirely upset either.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
To answer an earlier question, I think the animation staff on Generations is mostly different from the staff on the main anime. One of the main animators on one of them is actually an Austrian animator living in Japan who goes by the pen name BahiJD.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years

That is a little unfair to Dragon ball super which hasn't even received any blue rays or overhauls yet. If you watched the original DBZ episodes when they aired they where just as choppy (Actually they where worse) but you will never get those episodes online because the only episodes available are those that have already been overhauled.

Animation is hard, these animators have to work on a specific budget in just one week to get an episode out. So you tend to see them cutting a lot of corners... as they're saving their budget for the more epic moments, more frames of animation (New drawings) cost more money so you tend to see those weird drawings early on. However they do get fixed in later releases of the show (DVD or Blue Ray nowadays)

For reference watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as-sSVx3SmQ
This is the Haikyuu second season OP 2
(Please note that an anime studio has a set budget for OP's and ED's)

if you look at the animation from 00:00 - 00:15 the animation is smooth.
00:15 - 00:53 the animation(or lack thereof) looks crop or choppy and filled with still images (they do a much better job hiding it thought with some neat animation tricks)
00:53 - 1:29 finally the action picks up and the animation looks great again(epic in my opinion XD)

In conclusion: Animating, Anime is hard... Japanese studios often do Shortcuts to finish a 26 minute anime and they try to fix it when the DVD blue rays come out. But, the best studios are the ones who can hide those shortcuts.

Heres a diff between TV and Blue Ray
ax-1.png

Sorry to go off topic just wanted to get this off my chest... and hopefully you learned something new :D

Last edited:

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Saw the trailer. The anime certainly looks different and has potential to be really interesting. My only problem is Ash's design, everyone else looks fine though.

Liking that skull is involved early. I will certainly watch it and see what happens.

Years
I'm kinda not liking how Ash is drawn in this new series. His eyes look very off.

However, I am kinda happy we've now seen the school so that at least confirms what the previous statement said, but like I previously mentioned the school thing will be something that I can't adjust to very well. Popplio looks really cute doing that backflip in the trailer, but I did notice Rowlet was absent. My guess is that Ash catches Rowlet and they are hiding it for spoiler reasons.

Years
As I expected, Ash looks horrible in the SM saga 'cause of the animation change imo. I would've been happy about Team Skull appearing weeks ago, but now that Pokemon is becoming a copy of Yo-kai Watch to appeal to little kids more, I expect disappointment. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back